After 550 miles on a 2013 pro rmk 163

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like many people on here at the beginning of the season I was very concerned about the driveshaft issue. Installed the Tyson.H clamp at 120 miles and never looked back. It's really hard to believe that the 13 is so much better than the 12 but it really is. Just feels a lot snappier off the bottom and gets on top of the snow like nothing else. So far this has been the best out of the box sled I've ever rode but there has been a few hiccups.

Clutching seems really good stock but wow does it ever get hot in there. Could be the 2 feet of snow sitting on the hood while holding it wide open trying to bust trail. Might have to add some venting and look at the PMS motorsports blowhole (electric fan).
At 350 miles the primary spring broke, not a huge deal but still kind of annoying on a deep pow day.
Sled developed a random bog with the check engine light going off which turned out to be the TSS (throttle safety switch). Removed it from the throttle block and taped it up and haven't had problems since.
Also noticed on super deep days that the throttle likes to ice up which could have something to do with having the handwarmers on high the whole day and heating up the plastic throttle block which causes it to ice up real bad when you stop or drag it through the snow at wide open.
Carbon fiber bumper is junk, get a real bumper.
The left side footwell near the secondary clutch NEEDS a vent or screen installed to prevent snow from getting on the secondary.
Not a single problem with the belt drive even though everyone on the internet seemed to be stripping cogs, but I make an effort not to shock load it but I'm sure I've hit the odd cut off tree or rock while climbing.

Can't wait to put even more miles on this thing!

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got about half the miles you do but havent had a single issue with the sled, really startn to like it,,,its ran flawless and goes anywhere the half dozen xm's i ride with do. No deep snow bogs either, where the xm's will bog from time to time.

Ive heard of the tss problems on previous years sleds, can i disconnect that on the hill if the problem arises? Which wire, what color is it? And you just tape the seperate ends?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you can run the handwarmers on high all day. I only have them on high on the trail up and down. Usually only down though, as that's when my gloves have generally gotten sopping wet. Other than that, those things on high burn my hands.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a great dealer and he let me Demo a 13 163 Pro yesterday to compare to my 12 155 pro.I have betterboards,riser and MBRP can on mine. I was mainly interested in the longer track and find it better for just about everything except back and forth tite surfing.I honestly could not really tell a differance in weight between the 2 my 12 has ES. There is a slight belt whine but almost never hear it.They have had only 1 driveshaft issue and have clamped them all.The new 163 ran hard all day especially for a so called underpowered sled.The 163 does get up on the snow real fast. I love the new seat and boards.I'll probably wait now and check a 14.To all the doo gooders get over the Canam koolaid I too have a Canam Quad but it doesnt stop me from shopping around to what best fits me and I love the Polaris Pros.Had an 09 D800 not one failure in 3 yrs riding,traded on a 12 Pro 819 miles on it now and 0 issues and original belt.

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
1188km still no issues and didn't get shaft recall thing yet like it way more then my xp

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Polaris for years then switched a few years ago after the engine problems. and switched to skidoo. like the sled but will switch back to polaris and will go to 163 in 2014 if they dont change too much. nice to see dealer give you a demo for the day... i might try that here and see what they say. going to go this Saturday so if there is a dealer reading this let me know if you have a demo for me to use (PM me) :eek:

To all: thanks for the positive posts regarding the pro... I agree they hop up on the snow easy

Kinda nice to see no brand bashing "yet"

Rich

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2012 pro 163 and loved it but for some reason it seems I got the bad one of the bunch at 660 miles took out a top end no big deal great dealer support had me back on the snow in a week as I am a guide and snow host for varda when my sled goes down it really hurts. Got sled back rode real easy for one day helping Curtis teach an ast1 course then next day unload heading up chapel made 4km and boom she blew again. Called dealer got my money back and bought a doo! I will try again next season as I loved the pro when it was running but can't afford to miss any more work hope you all have the best of luck would love to hear from any of you that get high miles on one with no issues as I average 2000-4000 km a season

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now at 1320 miles and 35 days.
Lost my jackshaft and jackshaft bearing at 930 miles. Was down for 2 days.
Lost my first quickdrive belt at 950 miles which I think had something to do with the jackshaft bearing failure causing improper tension on the belt.
Second quickdrive belt failed at 1310 miles. Both times the sled was in deep snow sidehilling or climbing.
Left hand grip was replaced, new throttle safety switch as well.
Also had an issue with my throttle cable icing up. What is happening is that the handwarmers on high setting are heating the throttle block and snow is packing into the bottom of the throttle block where the cable enters the hose. Make sure sure that you stop to pick it clean once in a while and always mash your throttle a couple times before you start your machine.
I've installed the MTNTK blow hole which is the fan that sits above your clutches to help remove the hot air as well as the carls cycle clutch kit and that appears to help with belt life. I ride a bit harder than most people so take that for what it's worth. Love the way this machine handles/rides for my style but definitely have had a couple hiccups along the way. Luckily have a really good dealer (agro in pincher creek).

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 polaris assault, so no chain belt issues as it has the old shaft and chain. I now have 550 miles on 3 belts, head light switch, panel wing nuts broke off on exhaust side and both grips have loosened off. The dealer seems to think I have screwed the motor mounts already????? Anyone heard of this yet

csharko

Reaction score
I have 450 miles, took it easy on break in and have no problems so far nock on wood, the more I ride the better it feels. Very impressed so far.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My motor mounts are toast as well. Heard a few guys have gone through them and that the stock ones don't last very long.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My motor mounts are toast as well. Heard a few guys have gone through them and that the stock ones don't last very long.

If I remember right Johnny I think Neil from Boost It sells an updated one with a bit tougher durometer. I think it was on this site I saw it.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw those.. maybe if the new ones they just put in go out again I'll go that route.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an XM but my main riding partner has the 13 Pro. Both 163's. We have about 750km on each now. The pro has been flawless (so has the XM), Pro has drive shaft clamp, no belt issues (a little fuzz), front rear spring changed out for 160 lb rider. noticeable difference in ride with that lighter spring. Just playing with 62-64 weights with 10 and 11 ramps right now. Nether of these 2 sleds will walk away from the other on the hill. it's been a fun season so far with these 2 new rides.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an XM but my main riding partner has the 13 Pro. Both 163's. We have about 750km on each now. The pro has been flawless (so has the XM), Pro has drive shaft clamp, no belt issues (a little fuzz), front rear spring changed out for 160 lb rider. noticeable difference in ride with that lighter spring. Just playing with 62-64 weights with 10 and 11 ramps right now. Nether of these 2 sleds will walk away from the other on the hill. it's been a fun season so far with these 2 new rides.

That's about the same conclusion I've come to. They are really close on the snow and I could ride either brand but still prefer the PRO for technical stuff. For clutching I would skip the messing around and go carls cycle or MDS.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled developed a random bog with the check engine light going off which turned out to be the TSS (throttle safety switch). Removed it from the throttle block and taped it up and haven't had problems since.
At what rpm range were you getting the bog? I had been getting one at 4-5k rpm. Have been thinking it was detonation, as the check engine light flashes once then it is fine. Really only happens when blipping the throttle lots. Wondering if it could be the TSS. It progressively got worse throughout the day.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At what rpm range were you getting the bog? I had been getting one at 4-5k rpm. Have been thinking it was detonation, as the check engine light flashes once then it is fine. Really only happens when blipping the throttle lots. Wondering if it could be the TSS. It progressively got worse throughout the day.

The bog was happening pretty much randomly and eventually got so bad that you couldn't move the sled. I think it had something to do with moisture in it because it was fine one day and then after doing a hard right hand carve submerging the throttle block in snow it immediately started acting up. Easiest is have the dealer check that code but if that's not an option I would pull it out of the throttle block and tape it up so the plunger is pushed in and see if it goes away. Also be really careful running the sled without the TSS as the throttles on these things like to freeze up in deep snow with the hand warmers cranked.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to get it in to my dealer before my next trip. I should have dropped it off before I went away to work for 2 weeks. I never run in deep snow with the hand warmers on high, and never had an issue with the throttle freezing open, plus I run a tether. There could be moisture in there. Maybe I should just make an appointment at my dealer and get it in, hopefully they can sort it out in a couple days, before my trip.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just shy of 900 klm on my 2013 pro 163 and it has not missed a beat... gas oil and go... I have not rode with any of the new cats but the 163 XM's I've rode with are a billygoat... they might edge me out on a straight pull only... but the 154 XM's are not in the same ball game like some others might like to think.... right KC

Top Bottom