Bleed power steering on 2008 f350?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night I was driving my truck and the power steering line popped off the fitting at the cooler and lost all the fluid. Drove 5km to nearest gas station, put the hose back on, screwed the hose clamp tight and bought one bottle of power steering fluid (all they had) to get me home and possibly not wreck the pump too bad.

Well I didn't realize until this morning, while trying to find bleed procedures (and still can't) that you can not use power steering fluid, it has to be mercon 5 with it having the hydroboost brake system. I'm hoping someone on here knows procedures how to bleed the fluid and air out of it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegamark

Reaction score
On older cars and trucks you would jack up the front end and turn the wheels stop to stop with the engine running, roping up fluid as needed, this has worked for me, hope it helps

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems weird to me. All i've ever done, it fill the reservoir and turn the wheels lock to lock. Of course Ford has to be difficult.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
um unless something has drastically changed, you simply top up and turn lock to lock and you are done. My question is though why did the line pop off? There are two lines, a high pressure and a return. The high pressure is not going to use a screw clamp to hold it as it would blow off, the return is just that and it will use a screw clamp but there is no pressure. So what caused the hose to pop off. if you didn't have to turn much you might be ok, but it doesnt take it long to dump the fluid. Just for the record Mercon 2 is hydraulic fluid! I would undo my low pressure line and flush with new fluid til you are satisfied that the power steering oil is gone. Check your high pressure line as well. and just keep topping up.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
um unless something has drastically changed, you simply top up and turn lock to lock and you are done. My question is though why did the line pop off? There are two lines, a high pressure and a return. The high pressure is not going to use a screw clamp to hold it as it would blow off, the return is just that and it will use a screw clamp but there is no pressure. So what caused the hose to pop off. if you didn't have to turn much you might be ok, but it doesnt take it long to dump the fluid. Just for the record Mercon 2 is hydraulic fluid! I would undo my low pressure line and flush with new fluid til you are satisfied that the power steering oil is gone. Check your high pressure line as well. and just keep topping up.

It was one of the lines that goes to the cooler, and it dumped lots trying to use the brakes and trying to turn. Its hard to stop without assit haha. Also it has to be mercon 5 ATF in the diesels since it operates both power steering and your brake assist. After looking around on the Internet I finally found a video and all I really had to do was pump the brakes, keep topping it up, and then turn the wheels a few times and top it up.

Flushed out all the old fluid and the brakes feel much stronger, and steering feels lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom