Bill 6

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give me a break, have you ever been in a grain bin? If its that phuckin bad I will just step out of the door. I move 200000 bushels every year. I need no mask because there is no dust. Don't believe me come join me. A lot has changed since the days of augers and shovels. I have a shovel but it hangs in the shop for picking up the pile of dirt I sweep up.
Alot still do it the old way.
With old bins.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true. Grain dust can be highly explosive. Lots of elevators have gone up in flames. Also the dust is very bad for the lungs. Similar to silicosis that can be gotten from silica sand dust. So right there you have fire, explosion, and health risks.

Definition of confined space is any enclosed area with limited access and/or space. Even if it only holds water it's considered a confined space if it meets the above criteria.

True. But the original comment by srgt saftey was that SCBA or SABA needed to be warn in a grain bin.

Now please explain how those safety devices are going to protect you from a dust explosion?

Not a OHS auditor but correct me if I am wrong but a P100 half mask would probably do the trick...
Always use one around my sandblaster.

Grain bins are not air tight nor water tight, most are even airated.

If we are going to look at the oh&s code a grain bin probably fits the definition of restricted space better than a confined space as its major hazard is the restricted egress.

A ditch also is considered a confined space in most instances but you don't see the NDP hassling their bottle picking voters, why? Cause there is no money in it. This is a cash grab, don't fool yourself.
And the NDP is giving a bone to their union friends/ husband.

Grain elevators in most cases are owned by large corporations not farmers.....
But in reference to the exploding grain elevators I believe you were referring to the old wood ones, which are for the most part all decommissioned. The problem with them is that the dust could migrate from the storage space to the mechanical space where you had arcing devices that were not rated for dust enviorments. For example electrical motors we usually rate CSA general purpose area vs CSA class 1 div 2 or div 1 dependant on vocation.

But let's assume you want me to operate my bins to the letter of the OH&S law.

Oxygen deficient atmosphere with a potentially explosive presence of grain dust. ( not possible but let's humor this....)

Well start with filling the bin.

Need to climb up top to open the hatch, oh **** it's over 10 feet. Better bring in a scaffolding crew to build access to the hatch.

But first did I need to hire a permit writer to write them a permit? Oh well.

High angle rescue crew on standby?
Crazy not too.

Dumping the grain into the bin is gonna create dust. Better bring in a pumper truck to O2 free the bin as to prevent any possibility of an explosion.

But better pull that hot work permit for for the welders currently in the bin.
Hopefully my permit writer would have noticed the welder's locks on the LOTO board prior to writing the permit for pumper truck.

Ah finally 6 days later I am finally ready to dump a load of wheat into this bitch.

Unloading.

Let's skip the logistics of getting the truckers orientated for site and proceed to removing the last two feet of grain from the bin after the auger has lost suction.

Now we are gonna have to do a "vessel entry".

Welp better bring in a SABA cart and a man watch crew and get them permitted up.

And better hire a lifeguard too so we don't drown in the two feet of wheat.

Now we can enter the vessel to shovel.
I can't afford to use safe tools like a grain vac because I spend so much money to satisfy ohs legislation, so I must shovel like a sucker.

Now either I am able to shovel all my grain into the augar or the hose from my SABA gets drawn into the augar and I die an untimely death or I get to live a realize that my farm is no longer profitable or competitive in the global market.

Do you see why the current OHS rules might not fit for farms.

It may surprise to to find out that farmers are a hell of alot safer than you think.
And know alot more about safety than you think......

Farmers will always look to mitigate every potential hazard to as low as reasonable applicable not because a hazop to them to.

But rather because they are a father, brother, sister or a mother. And no one wants to ever see or worse yet be responsible for the death of a family member.

And our workers become family.
Family members who I voluntarily buy WCB coverage for, by the way.

But why don't you see the 60, 000 farm workers out picketing for increased oh&s red tape and labour unions to protect them. Oh right they don't really want it themselves.

But while your at home in your armchair, characterising what you deem to be safe or unsafe, think if you want ohs showing up at your private residence to tell you that your not hanging Christmas lights (holiday lights for the new Canadians) or cutting the grass safely. Or worse yet that your son or daughters is too young to participated in chores such as shoveling the sidewalk or raking leaves.

Or the worst case senerio, sledding and quading to to dangerous to permit in Alberta anymore. Full out safety ban.

How much goverment intervention/ involvement do you really want in your life?

End rant.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically your first few paragraphs described what every other industry currently has to do so not sure what your trying to prove other than that it is the same. Except one is currently regulated and the other isn't.
After that it was all BLA BLA BLA.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically your first few paragraphs described what every other industry currently has to do so not sure what your trying to prove other than that it is the same. Except one is currently regulated and the other isn't.
After that it was all BLA BLA BLA.

Union guy? Just trying to understand where your coming from. Ever spent any time on a farm?

All I am saying is you can't run a farm like Shell or Syncrude and still expect to be in business.

Nor should a guy have to cause you really don't need the whole safety circus to run a farm safely.

But hey, maybe I am wrong.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been union. As posted earlier got lots of farmers and ranchers in the family.

Just saying they all have alot of the same hazards and risks as other industries. Not saying I agree with bringing it in at all on the same level or scale but there are places that it may save some fingers hands and lives if it was.

FWIW, ANY company in any industry can be run safely without all the legislation and BS. But because of stupid and careless people, things are how they are.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You people need to look at the patch to see where this is headed!In 1980 there was no safety bull**** tons of underage workers and guess what? They have a hell of a lot more claims now than then. Look at the safety/gov. Industry created in patch since. Billions in revenue. I worked in those days and now, no difference in our safety outcome just more money out of jeans. This is the start and they will implement more rules slowly just like the patch! Hell everyone is so used to it now in patch they think it's normal.In fifteen years from now when you farmers are doing your safe work procedures and hazard ID's before you fire combine, remember it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While we are at it overregulating people and interfering with their lives.......I had a few other ideas for legislation the NDP could put forth.

Water front living protection. Anyone living on property that contains a body of water with xxx amount of litres of water or more most comply with this new legislation. People just arent smart enough to be around water so we need a body of government regulators to take care of them. How many people have drowned in the last 10 years? Well 1 is too many. Lets get the government involved. Mandatory 6 foot fences around any water bodies. Life preservers mandatory if a person wants to be within a 100 foot radius of said water. I think a permit and safety meeting process could be implemented for if people actually wanted to go in the water. The more legislation the better. Lets help the government protect us from ourselves.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While we are at it overregulating people and interfering with their lives.......I had a few other ideas for legislation the NDP could put forth.

Water front living protection. Anyone living on property that contains a body of water with xxx amount of litres of water or more most comply with this new legislation. People just arent smart enough to be around water so we need a body of government regulators to take care of them. How many people have drowned in the last 10 years? Well 1 is too many. Lets get the government involved. Mandatory 6 foot fences around any water bodies. Life preservers mandatory if a person wants to be within a 100 foot radius of said water. I think a permit and safety meeting process could be implemented for if people actually wanted to go in the water. The more legislation the better. Lets help the government protect us from ourselves.
But then we'd have no natural selection or Darwin awards.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought of another one. Sloped property legislation. Anyone owning property with more than a 5% grade must submit to this new legislation. Mandatory safety harnesses and head protection. A policy and procedure manual. And of course government regulators to do routine inspections to make sure you are complying. People just arent smart enough to own hilly property without the government being there to take care of them.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot still do it the old way.
With old bins.

But who cares. I have used a shovel and auger for the majority of my flat bottom bins since I was a kid. It' not phuckin dangerous.
Only two things you need to know, don't stick fingers in auger flighting and wear a mask if it's dusty. Not rocket science and the government for damn sure doesn't need to tell farmers that.

Last edited:

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But who cares. I have used a shovel and auger for the majority of my flat bottom bins since I was a kid. It' not phuckin dangerous.
Only two things you need to know don't stick fingers in auger fighting and wear a mask if it's dusty. Not rocket science and the government for damn sure doesn't need to tell farmers that.
And tape up your pant legs so that one phucking mouse you miss with the shovel doesn't run up your leg and bite you by the bag!!!!!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And tape up your pant legs so that one phucking mouse you miss with the shovel doesn't run up your leg and bite you by the bag!!!!!
First hand knowledge? Sounds like a campfire story.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First hand knowledge? Sounds like a campfire story.

Short story. Was 8 or 9. Didn't appreciate me trying to send it through the auger, ran up my leg and bit. I ran out of the bin beating the chit out of leg trying to kill the little bastage while my Dad rolled on the ground laughing.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

If you have a pool in your back yard, you HAVE to have a fence around your yard. If some punk breaks into your yard and falls in your pool and dies, YOU are responsible. How's that? So, we had better put this legislation into effect.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ag minister, Oneil Carlier just stated that Hutterite Colonies will be exempt from WCB and OHS rules as there are no paid employees
WOW just WOW.... That's like saying Walmart should be exempt from rules for big chain stores....can you say gong show..
all I can take out of this is ... Smokin dope and politics are a bad mix..!
Again folks this is an ATTEMPT to eliminate the family farm... How many pay checks do family farm kids get ???
lol

Top Bottom