Bike rack for trailer

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I have a 5th wheel - I have to craft up a bike rack for it. Went on some of the RV forums and they all advise against going with something on the rear bumper - bounces too much and bikes fly off? I have half a mind to ask if these guys are brain dead - I cannot for the life on me see how a decent set-up back there would not work? This isn't rocket science. If I can get a snowmobile back and for to BC every other weekend without incident - I am sure I can pull off this little project.

I have seen some "normal" ones that would slide into a receiver hitch that the bikes just hang off of, and some that are like a 2 foot by 4 foot platform - that they rest on.

I will be throwing at least three mountain bikes on trailer. Kids ones can go inside. What has worked for everybody?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of building something as well, my pops was looking at a platform setup that goes into the receiver hitch on the back of his motorhome that they actually put a golf cart on....and you can still pull a trailer off the back of it. looks sketchy to me....lol. I want something that I could haul my plated 450X around on the back of the 5th wheel but scared it would break and fall off, I'm sure hauling bicycles would be safe, just make sure they are secured well.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throw them on top and a long strap down to the wheel wells. Just avoid the low overpasses :d:d:beer::beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check some of these out....sketchy
carthitch1.jpg

carthitch.jpg

some cargo carriers for the rear hitch
etrailer.com - Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers&af=dep:hitchcargocarrier&nf=&isort=score&method=and&view=list

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think these pics belong over in the cheesy thread.
these are commercially built and sold racks. might be great for smooth highways where they get no frost, but I sure wouldn't trust one up here....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best and only way to do it right (in my opinion) is with a rear hitch. But only a few manufacturers approve a rear hitch on the back of their trailers. Check with you trailer manufacturer if your's is approved and if it is, go see the guys at ABC hitch in Edmonton.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Have seen bike racks on the front of the trailer,but you would need lots of clearance between trlr and truck cab for that to work.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We even hung a couple on the front of the truck for awhile, when the whole family went there was six bikes.

Three on the back of the fith wheel, two on the front bumber and one inside.

Always used extra straps trying to limit the movement.

Looks like the Beverly hillbilly unit going down the road, canoe on the roof bikes on both ends...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I used to lay one in the truck inbetween the hitch and the tailgate and the rest went inside the fifth wheel. I would just use a hitch mounted rack and make sure your bike are secure.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built one last year for my old travel trailer. Welded a 2" receiver to 1/8" plate steel then bolted it to the rear bumper using another 1/8th " steel plate on top. Basically sandwiched the bumper. Inspected it after each trip, worked great all Summer until the last trip to Meadow Lake in August. Steel plate tore from leading edge all the way back to about 1" from rear edge. Both sides about 1" out from the welds on the receiver. Short story is that I dragged two bikes approximately 80 km's behind the trailer. When I got to the campground there was little left but scrap. These were two decent aluminum frame bikes that didn't weigh dick all. There is a lot of bouncing and vibration back there. If you are going to fab something go with alot thicker than 1/8th inch steel plate. Lesson Learned....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes tones of vibration back there. take a look at some of the units that have them on already when driving down the road. its scary. always wondering when they are going to fall off or break. best way would be to get a second trailer for behind. on a trailer hitch. gotta think those bikes weigh 20lbs each X4 X 3-4ft away from the bumper there is alot of weight wiggling around back there on the paper mache bumpers they have on these units nowadays.
best way would be to build an actual step/platform at the rear that each bike could sit on and go into kind of a bike rack at either edge of the trailer. strap bikes to rack and platform would probably be best. but then instead of all the weight wiggling and bouncing on a 2" receiver twisting the chit out of the bumper every time it wiggles. it isw all sitting on a frame and bumper supported platform.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez - didn't think that it would be that big of an issue!:eek:

Going into re-think mode...... I thnk that Magnet has the right idea. Was kind of where I was going anyway as there is a rear door into the bunkroom at back - and a removable platform may make alot of sense. Going to put my pitiful welding skills to the test!!

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kind of like what these guys have done putting qauds on the backidea.
best part is when going without kids/bikes, you can pack some firewood as well.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people are finding that the bike racks that bolt to the bumper are breaking the bumpers off. they are only designed for the spare tire only

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could build something off the front of the 5th wheel.... if you want i could draw some thing for you if you want... naaa i had a brain fart

Last edited:
Top Bottom