Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the biggest piece of crap I ever heard. I'll leave it at that.

Let me know when its time to start discussing the chain of events that led up to this situation.

Hey buddy take a fnn pill,whats done is done and unfortunatly theres no goin back,its easy for you to sit there on your high horse sayin it never should of happened or they should have closed the mountain but thats not the way we sledders would want it,theres people myself included that go out into the backcountry all the time knowing we might not come back,all the saftey and survival skills in the world cant garentee your comin home,but mostly I think your being very direspectfull to the fallen and injured so to me that just shows me what kinda person your really are,a real class act buddy.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
dont blame the organizers. it may not have been the correct decision but there still would have been 200 sleds there that day. everyone knew the avalanche conditions and chose to participate. people choose to smoke cigaretts and die what are we going to do about that.

The point is, that Dave could have cancelled it and made the stand that it was unsafe to proceed... by doing so, it would have absolved his name and the "BIS" name from any and all conversations/responsibility... it would have simply been a bunch of guys out riding on the weekend when an accident happened. Guys on their own, making their own decisions and not being incented to do something as a result of a competition.

By not cancelling it (and even ripping around Boulder with a flag to pump people up and convince people to take certain lines), it doesn't look good!

The problem is, that when you are financially and emotionally involved in something, it is too difficult to take a step back and make the right decision... not laying blame but "ozone" will have some hard questions to answer and it won't be fun!

Dirtdiver

Reaction score
I was there seconds after the avalanche, right away people did what needed to be done. We dug the one fatality out and I wish the outcome would have been different. I give props to everyone who worked together on the hill, it wasn't easy to deal with. Thanks to the RCMP and revy for there response. RIP boys

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there seconds after the avalanche, right away people did what needed to be done. We dug the one fatality out and I wish the outcome would have been different. I give props to everyone who worked together on the hill, it wasn't easy to deal with. Thanks to the RCMP and revy for there response. RIP boys

good on you guys. being able to compose yourselves and save that many people is outstanding.:beer:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't feel that I am pointing fingers... but if you feel that I am, I will remove my post...

if you are not parked in a terrain trap or avy slide path the chance of being buried goes down significantly. no need to point fingers.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, im sure the families appreciate it.
And for those of you that are pointing fingers, wrong time and place. :nono:

Have you listened to the news? Just heard on the radio.....one of the wives of the deceased sledder is already questioning the decision making of this weekends activities.:(

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Have you listened to the news? Just heard on the radio.....one of the wives of the deceased sledder is already questioning the decision making of this weekends activities.:(

As the wife of one of the deceased she has that right..... if you were a close freind or family you as well have that right.....JUST NOT IN HERE....

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's unfortunate. It is up to every person to make their own decisions. Whenever there is a catastrophe there is always someone to blame if you look hard enough. Could things have been handled differently? absolutely. But every person there chose to be there and is ultimately responsible. If people want others to make their decisions for them, I'm sure the BC gov't would be happy to do that for them.

canadakevin

Reaction score
Wow - nothing to add here from me, except a huge thank you towards everyone who in any way helped this situation, from being out there hands on helping on the hill to minimize the brutal situation, people who were at home praying, and also to those who have helped those of us who truely care to keep us informed.

I also could not come up with any words for those of you who have been personally involved in an injury, or towards the friends and family of the men who lost their lives, except to say my heart hurts for you all.

Kevin

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all the guys there/money can we not get a helicoptor to do some blasting the morning of or night befor? I love sledding but if we can increase saftey let's do it. Ticket guys that are up there without the right gear, make avy coruses manditory for regulated areas and look out for your buddies make sure everyone has the gear befor going up, I have asked to ride with guys and they made sure I had probe shovel and beacon befor letting me tag along.

teamti

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. It is up to every person to make their own decisions. Whenever there is a catastrophe there is always someone to blame if you look hard enough. Could things have been handled differently? absolutely. But every person there chose to be there and is ultimately responsible. If people want others to make their decisions for them, I'm sure the BC gov't would be happy to do that for them.

On that note -

Seems kneejerk

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s about assigning blame rather than acknowledging the mistakes that were made and learning from them. Talking about this increases awareness and educates. Hopefully enough to save lives in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom