Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdnsleddog

Reaction score
My families condolences to those who lost family or friends in this avalanche.

We are priveladged group who get to enjoy a sport that gives you an experience and comradery like no other. Any one that has had a "blue bird day" in 3 plus feet of powder knows what I mean. This particular bowl has always been popular and is considered a "safer" climb as it does cycle often leaving a lower risk accepted by many. And as mentioned in earlier posts the "safety in numbers" attitude may have put many people in a risky situation they may have not been in with just their normal group of riders.
This incident clearly demonstrates the ability of a group of people, that have accepted a level risk in a sport they are passionate about, to quickly deal with a tragic situation through the use of their training and equipment. This investment in back country gear by sledders, skiers, climbers, etc is always done with the hope that we never have to use it. Thankfully many of us have taken the time to actually practice with this gear in an effort to be able to help in these situations. My hats off to the people who acted when they were needed in this accident. We can all only hope people like this are around if we ever need help...in all aspects of our lives. Think about this comrades the next time you see a traffic accident at home. Act as these heros have and we will all be better for it.

I listened to the interview on CBC with Mark Shaede from Revelstoke Snowmobile Tours. Mark, i commend you on being an ambassador to this sport during this interview. The media always struggles to ask informed questions on topics they know little about and your response to these ill informed questions were quite appropriate.

To all that participated in this S&R effort from the initial survey of the scene to the follow up by the RCMP to ensure there are no missing persons...you all had a difficult situation to deal with, took action based on your training and will learn from these choices....please share them with others....it may save another or maybe your life some day as well.

Mitch

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off....I want to say that I also hurt and send out sincerest condolences to EVERYONE that was involved. We all feel pain but its truly the family, friends and those that were there ...that are going to need our support. As Drew put it...It could have been anyone of us! I joined Snow and Mud maybe a year ago and while I directly know some members face to face...the rapport on this site and getting to know one another even if it is on-line, is amazing...one thing that I have found is a web site consisiting of very compasionate caring people. Lets let the media look like fools in making this a frenzy of NOT REPORTING FACTUAL EVENTS. Don't get me wrong...this is tragic and will leave scars on everyone and anyone involved and for that I once again offer my heartfelt sorrow. I think it would be safe to say that all of us as members of this site bleed pain for all invloved. One thing I would like to offer the media and those that maybe don't understand our passion....is to maybe look at other sports?...maybe call them extreme...I don't know. Like how about hang gliding? or surfing in shark infested waters, or how is it that pilots at air shows have a failure and crash, or Auto racing? Do we quit flying because of a plane crash? Do we not surf because of sharks? Do we not drive because we might crash? DON'T CROSS THE STREET TO THE ICE CREAM TRUCK...you might get ran over! I think I made my point.....The media are like Parihanas....it don't matter the color, size, breed or if you are all there to begin with....its the meat they are after and folkes ....its sad but its the news or flavour of the day. The rejoice that we have ...especially on this site... is that we understand....we share our happiness and our grief....but we share and understand....that is what matters...I as well had friends that were supposed to be there and even checked up on ones that I haven't personally talked to in a long time so this tragic event has led us all in a direction of togetherness which is something that this world is really lacking of lately ...and if its sledding that brings us together then maybe....just maybe....the media can look a little deeper into our sport and see the passion that we as sledders have for one another and share that story with the rest of the world in a positive perspective instead of throwing gas on fire with little to no knowledge of actual events or even what snowmobiling really is!!!!!!!!!!! My sincerst condolences go to those involved..........

Smiley

Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

Good going you 2. I just watched it, and am happy you represent our collective voice at this very difficult time. Smiley, your courage is beyond your years.

Respectfully yours

Koby

Thank you for your kind words, my heart still hurts for all involved.
I'm happy that global is trying to see the good. I am off to Calgary global tomorrow for an interview with Lori from Zacs.

Stay safe, and we really are all like family.

Sherry Waldroff-

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just saw the newscast on Global Edmonton (w Ron's spot)

wow...that little boy..and the dude in the hospital....seriously hard to watch
good thing my wife and kids are asleep......there were a few hard chokes

i just can't imagine the pain that their family members are goin through
just sitting here as i type this, it's almost brninging me to tears
imagining my little girl asking for "daddy?" as a truck drives by the window....not knowing Im not coming (she's 2)

I think I gave up this sport at a good time
yesterday i looked at the empty spot in the garage, where my sled used to sit
i dont miss it anymore.....

wow.....in all due respect to this sport, the family and those who lost their loved ones

I AM DEEPLY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

I don't want to say I know how you feel, because the truth is I DON'T

may peace be with you all

I need to shut er down for the night...take care all

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On behalf of the SnowandMud.com staff we would like to offer our sincerest condolences to the families and friends of the two who passed in this unfortunate incident. Here are the names of the fallen sledders,

Shay Allan Snortland, 33 from Lacombe, AB

Kurtis Reynolds, 33 from Strathmore, AB

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We also wish a full speedy recovery to all the other people that were injured and there families and friends. And would like to thank all the sledders that worked hard in the rescue, all the Search and rescue workers, The RCMP and even the staff at the local hospital for there hard work. There's probably alot I missed and thank you to you all. This is truly a time where our entire sledding community has banded together.

sumtman57

Reaction score
Many hearts hurt tonight for those souls lost and all those injured. Some minds rest a bit knowing friends and family are safe. And many hold close to the ones they love most.
To all our sledder friends, you are family to us and we hope all of you made it home safely. We know and appreciate how much you love this sport, and can't imagine the loss you feel. But hold true that those who took on the mountain now know the greatest secrets of all! Blue skies, crisp air and all the powder they can handle! The view must be spectacular!
All our best prayers are sent your way this evening and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Take care guys, so many wish you comfort here...

Michele and Chris at Summit River Lodge, Valemount BC

MR MOOSE

Reaction score

After all the chaos ended and we got out of there I ended up with an extra beacon, it is a red ortavox and if its yours please PM me so I can get it back to you. Would hate to see you go out without it!

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So very sad to hear what happened, just watched the 11 minute video on Global, I went for my first trip to the mountains this weekend with Maxwell and this makes that hair on my arms stand on end, very scary stuff. Shocking to see all those people probing for survivors. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

VERY TRUE. RIP

however considering the situation im very releived at the outcome. AMAZING what a group of sledders and rescuers can pull off in desperate times.

Yeah that is truly amazing, i was guessing there were going to be a lot more dead, but thank god that wasn't the case!!

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw on Global this morning that S&R will be continuing today with canine members. RCMP are stating that everyone has been accounted for. I hope that they are right...

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
As tragic as this is with two lives lost, many hurt and many more emotionally touched by this, we are blessed that all there acted as they did and more lives were saved than lost. RIP and god bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom