Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

Deep Thoughts..........

To those of you that have never been sledding the back-country with 2-3 even 4 feet of fresh snow then you never ever appreciate the love and passion for the sport of snowmobiling, therefore your experience is extremely limited.

Those of us that have had a lifetime of riding in the mountains agree that we never want or wish to be a statistic.

There are enough daredevils and amateurs out there to paint us with a broad stroke of being and nieve and irresponsable. I however would just like say as some one who has pulled somebody out of the snow after an avy and been apart of the Emergency Services end of things I can tell you that what has happened was an accident and sh!T happens . we don't know why sometimes or who or what is to blame . All that I can tell you that our sport is filled with family and a brotherhood that many sports will never have .

We ride awesome places and take a certain amount of risk , just like the person who bungy jumps at West Edmonton Mall. The only difference is we all want to be there.

I , like last year would like to extend my condolances to the families and friends of the folks that didn't get to call home safe that night.

For the media , I just say , take your time, have some compassion and deal in truth .your job and pr will go that much easier.

Mike

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just want to say "Hats Off" to the entire sledding community.:beer: It's great to see such genuine concern and support for fellow sledders, most of whom none of us know or will ever meet. This is truly a tribute to the tight connection between the participants of our sport. I know some comments have been removed by the Mods....including one of mine.... but for the most part we've portrayed ourselves in a manner we should all be proud of. If the press really has been monitoring and consulting with on-line forums digging for info regarding the avy, I hope they saw and paid attention to something more. The supportive words, the prayers and offers to help where ever it's needed hopefully will go a long way in riding out the Media and Greenies $hit Storm that is brewing over sledders in the back country. Makes me proud to be a part of the sledding family::beer::canadaflag:.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great to see the outcome was better than what we feared. To all that helped and those who sit at home waiting to see if everyones ok, hoping all is good. A BIG THANKS. It's great to see our sledding community pull together in bad times. Again prayers to those who are affected by the avalanche and those who lost loved ones or great friends.

Grabbit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone involved in this tragedy. including all friends and family members!

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As someone who is relatively new to back country sledding (one trip to Valemont) I have to say most people on this site, the few people I have met on my one trip to the mountains and the actions of everyone who helps in a time of need is simply incredible.

I have spent the last 18 yrs of my life in the Forces and been through some good and bad times but I and can honestly compare both communities in there care and concern for there comrades no matter if its after a good day or mourning a bad. The sledding community is simply incredible and I have to thank the people who I don't even know that have given me tips and helped dig me out of a few trenches in the past and I am a proud member of both.

To the numerous people in Revy who helped in SAR, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult the job must have been but thanks to your efforts most families will sleep tonight knowing that their loved ones are safe.

God Bless the fallen and the injured, me and my family wish them and their families a speedy recovery, both physically and emotionally.

Neil

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have been watching this thread and, the news with a very heavy heart for the last 24hrs, I now know that the people I am close to are all home safe with there familys, but that does no lighten the load on my mind or heart, this sort of thing really hits close to home, I know what it is like to be in the mountains and get caught up in the mood, no one ever wants to see this happen, although this outcome is not a good outcome, it is better then it could have been, I hope the familys and friends that are affected by this the most remember that there loved ones where doing what they loved, and also remember you are never alone, this site is a family a very close family (we have the crazy uncle bobs, and the over protective mammas) who have shared some of the same grief you are feeling right now, remeber to ask for help from any one at any time, don't take this on yourself

Peace be with everyone, take care and remember to hold your loved ones just a little longer then normal tonight

tfitz

bssummitx

Reaction score
Tragic end to the season. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of everyone involved.
God bless the rescuers.

toysplus

Reaction score
the sledding community as with the atv'ers is one big family,now is the time we must band together to do whatever is necessary. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the fallen and a speedy recovery to the survivors.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched the vids, good work to the fellow sledders who dug out the burried, could have been much worse by the looks of it. Sincere condolences to the famlies of those lost.

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
condolences to all involved in this tragic event. what adds to the sickness in my stomach is reading the truly idiotic posts on the cbc discussion board.

The support of the sledding community as a whole is something to be extremely proud of.

helgy

Reaction score
Website
www.bordertownsnowbombers.com
The influx of new members is not neccesarily anti sledders, but its more likely the majority are people who care.

Condolences and best wishes from the Bordertown Snowbombers Snowmobile Society in Stewart B.C.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Good to hear all the wonderful stories about fellow sledders uniting and helping in the worst of times............ Thanks again all that are helping. And thanks to global tv for their great coverage so far!!!

Switchrider900

Reaction score
As a flatlander out here in Manitoba, it's sad to hear about what has happened out in Revelstoke. I'm sorry to the families that have lost loves ones to such a tragic event, and very thankful that it did not take anymore lives. This could have been much worse than what it was, I was shocked and very scared when I first saw the report on a local website here in Manitoba. My first thoughts were back to what happened in Sparwood and how much worse this was going to be.

We all love this sport from coast to coast and as you can see by the posts and the amount of poeple looking at these posts, that sledders all care. We know the risks and we take the risks, anything can happen from riding trails to sledding in the mountains. I dream of one day being able to try and do what you all do everyday. I have taken alot from these two tragidies in the last couple of years. First: Get the proper equipment and know how to use it. Second: Get a guide that knows the area.

RIP for those that lots thier lives. You died doing something that you loved, only sledders will know that!!!

May you ride your sleds for miles with only rolling mountains covered in snow with no troubles or worries.

Flatlander in Manitoba

Big Orange

Reaction score
My condolences to the victims and there families and friends. To those who were injured a speedy recovery.

messickzr

Reaction score
I feel for everyone involved! I can not imagine the scene, but it sounds like great team work was displayed and everyone did as much as possible. If there is anyway I can help, let me know.

laserRob

Reaction score
Just saw this on the Chicago news.

Condolences to the families/friends of those lost.

Sledders are good people.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We've unapproved a few inappropriate posts at this time........ There will be a time and a place, but obviously its not now....... Please consider others at this time of need.

ripitup

Reaction score
We've unapproved a few inappropriate posts at this time........ There will be a time and a place, but obviously its not now....... Please consider others at this time of need.

Thank you.........not the time or place. However....I was going to "cease from refraining..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom