Big changes in Vancouver???????

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vancouver will NOT be leading the division this year. They aren't in the same crap division this year, they are going to be in contention with teams like the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks. The Canucks have needed to make some serious changes, and so far have done very little, and now stuck with Luongo and his giant cap hit, in a smaller cap world, they have no space to get the pieces they need to improve. Lou will need to be a shutout goalie to help Vancouver this year.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If one can get over the contract price Lou is a world class goalie in the regular season, It's similar to the Horcoff situation in Edmonton, on a lesser extent of course in no way trying to compare Horc & Lou, everyone concentrates on the contract # rather than the performance. Edmonton is good to get rid of Horcoffs 5.5mil but they will miss his presence.

Vancouver will NOT be leading the division this year. They aren't in the same crap division this year, they are going to be in contention with teams like the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks. The Canucks have needed to make some serious changes, and so far have done very little, and now stuck with Luongo and his giant cap hit, in a smaller cap world, they have no space to get the pieces they need to improve. Lou will need to be a shutout goalie to help Vancouver this year.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Stranger things have happened!

I agree that Gillis has screwed up. I don't think he will last the up-coming season. I will go out on a limb and say, "Gillis will be gone before the New Year!"

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If one can get over the contract price Lou is a world class goalie in the regular season, It's similar to the Horcoff situation in Edmonton, on a lesser extent of course in no way trying to compare Horc & Lou, everyone concentrates on the contract # rather than the performance. Edmonton is good to get rid of Horcoffs 5.5mil but they will miss his presence.
I'm not saying that Lou is a bad goalie, quite the opposite, but the size of his contract plus a lot of other highly paid players on that team make for very little cap space to make the moves that are needed to bring this team back to the top. Now playing in the same division as the teams I mentioned above, Vancouver is going to get beat up. They aren't tough enough. Vancouver may have a year left to show what they can do under a new coach, and I don't think the Sedins are going to respond well to Torts. If they aren't greatly improved (back to the final, or win the cup), it's time to blow the team up and rebuild. I don't think they have the right pieces to win, especially in their new much improved and tougher division.

I agree that Gillis has screwed up. I don't think he will last the up-coming season. I will go out on a limb and say, "Gillis will be gone before the New Year!"
Agreed!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Lou is a bad goalie, quite the opposite, but the size of his contract plus a lot of other highly paid players on that team make for very little cap space to make the moves that are needed to bring this team back to the top. Now playing in the same division as the teams I mentioned above, Vancouver is going to get beat up. They aren't tough enough. Vancouver may have a year left to show what they can do under a new coach, and I don't think the Sedins are going to respond well to Torts. If they aren't greatly improved (back to the final, or win the cup), it's time to blow the team up and rebuild. I don't think they have the right pieces to win, especially in their new much improved and tougher division.

Agreed!
One thing about being from Alberta, you know allot about loosing teams.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing about being from Alberta, you know allot about loosing teams.
I'm a Senators fan, and more Stanley Cups have come out of Alberta than BC, so is it really necessary to just start bashing? I can see when a team is moving in the right direction or not. As the OP says, big changes are needed in Vancouver, and they haven't done any of them. They've figured out their goalie situation, probably not with the solution they wanted to though. If Torts can get some production out of these players (that remains to be seen, I don't see his coaching style gelling with the Canucks players), then the Canucks can be competitive. but that is a big if.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say that Torts will be a huge change, I know that for the last 2 years A.V. never talked to his players, only said "you guys know how to play, why am I here?" not exactly leadership. Power to Lou

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But they will be leading the Division and in contention for the President's Trophy...............wanna bet?

Huh??? Leading the division but GM losing his job? Don't see that happening.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When FS said that leading the division comment, I like to think he forgot about the upcoming division restructuring. If Vancouver was still in the old NE div, then yes, it isn't very difficult to lead the division, when you play 8 games each against, the Flames, Oilers, Avs, and Wild. There are a lot of points to be had there. However; playing more games against the other powerhouses of California will certainly show a different result.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If one can get over the contract price Lou is a world class goalie in the regular season, It's similar to the Horcoff situation in Edmonton, on a lesser extent of course in no way trying to compare Horc & Lou, everyone concentrates on the contract # rather than the performance..............

I disagree. Lou is as flakey as they come. He is not consistent. He is up and down like a yo-yo and all it takes is a couple forwards to get in his face or bump him and he is off his game. World class goalies can power through that kind of stuff. He can't. When he is on his game sure he is good but what goalie isn't. He is like a switch though, bump him and he's off. Sure alot of it has to do with the guys standing in front of you but again, world class goalies stand on their head regardless. IMO Lou=Lackluster!!

When FS said that leading the division comment, I like to think he forgot about the upcoming division restructuring. If Vancouver was still in the old NE div, then yes, it isn't very difficult to lead the division, when you play 8 games each against, the Flames, Oilers, Avs, and Wild. There are a lot of points to be had there. However; playing more games against the other powerhouses of California will certainly show a different result.

I agree. When you play in a div with several teams that don't or haven't made it into the playoff's or far in the playoff's it makes it easy to be a division or conference leader.
Kinda like a pro team playing against a junior team, or beating up on girls.....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are a true hockey expert...no dought!:confused:
Yes with the Oilers powerhouse teams and Cups in the past and the Flames one cup I don't quite understand his statement? I am not an Oilers fan but..........I would not trade there team for the current Canucks in a million years. To much upside with the young Oiler team.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

When I said that, it was totally tongue in cheek! A little sarcasm.....

Sorry if you guys missed that!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
based on previous stats against SJ and LAK, doesnt look like Vancouver was on the loosing side too many times. Strong div yes but not impossible to continue racking up some points. Just hope bonehead Gillis knows what he is doing because from my chair I have to scratch my head :confused:

for 2011/2012
for 2010/2011

for 2011/2012
for 2010/2011

Top Bottom