Better primary clutch for 1000 commander

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Cvtech and the Qcs have heard good and bad about both looking for some info. Running 28" zillas and basically just mud ride

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite a few CV Techs out there...a few QSC's. The early QSC's required a spacer on the belt cover....the new ones do not. I have a new one coming for the Renny...ordered straight from Quad Shop Customs. Adam is knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Not much tuning one can do on the CV Techs, but apparently guys like them. Old technology as far as I am concerned....no Powerblok clutches for me....they quit putting those on sleds years ago for a reason.

dodge1

Reaction score
Had a cv tech on my 2005 artic Cat and what a diffrence! Cheaper on belts but lost my engine brake. If you go on can-forums, search airdam cluchtes. I think they must be the same as cv-tech? I have a 2012 1000 ltd. and have not had any issues with my yet. I have learned one thing in my life with atv or utv's, you can spend alot of money on mod's. Some of them you brag about and alot of them you------- well I think you know! OEM is good if you know it's limits. I can't wait to take the commander out for ride. It seems to like repair shop more than the trails. I sure hope that will change soon!

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the xt do u know of any issues with them? Been out twice for 90 some k and hardly burns any fuel. Wifey and kids love it. Great power. Would recommend putting it on a bigger than 7'ft deck or else u get to use ramps to park the front tires on. Loading all u see is SKY. lol Anyone know why she keeps adding to MY life insurance. lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a cv tech on my 2005 artic Cat and what a diffrence! Cheaper on belts but lost my engine brake. If you go on can-forums, search airdam cluchtes. I think they must be the same as cv-tech? I have a 2012 1000 ltd. and have not had any issues with my yet. I have learned one thing in my life with atv or utv's, you can spend alot of money on mod's. Some of them you brag about and alot of them you------- well I think you know! OEM is good if you know it's limits. I can't wait to take the commander out for ride. It seems to like repair shop more than the trails. I sure hope that will change soon!

Yes "Airdam" uses CV Tech clutches. He mods them to work better. If you are going to go with the ol' Powerblok, make sure that it came from Airdam. Get Torqued in Edmonton sells the Airdam CV Techs....they also are testing the new QSC clutches and I believe the results are good so far.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the commander forums, STM Rave VI clutches seem to be popular with the performance seekers

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone runs an xmr with the new or old qsc full setup id like to do some torure testing against mine with the airdam prepped cvtech, machined secondary with a 650 helix. if i jump on throttle she will stand straight up!! awesome seeing the sky on a 950lbs machine lol

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run the stm rage 3 and it was a nice clutch.. just 0 engine braking..even with the braking helix that you can get for the stm secondary driven, still 0... then it blew up!
Now i have been running a cvtech on my rene... 2010 Xxc..... Got close to 6000 k on it and its mint.. just had it apart to check everything.... my machine has 70.36 rwhp and the
clutch shifts out at 8000 rpm... My dyno sheet has a very flat shiftout, so just sayin..results don't lie..

The fellow that is in the front office at get torqued is Yves and he has a exact set up as i do on an 09 rene.. and pushes the same rwhp.. he mentioned to me that on the weekend he was layin a
lickin on the 1000 all day.. and by 3-5 lenghts every time... Kevin likes the cvtech.. they ran it in the Num /Bum 24 hr ice race too..

Now all that said, the QSC is a great clutch too.. as far as everyone has heard. Get torqued told me that one that they tested worked excellent on one bike and another one they did, it did not work so good on that second bike... thats all i know... Whatever we hear on the can-am talk and can-am fourms is good feedback... the feedback that i trust 100% is from Kevin's mouth himself just cause i have dealt with him since late 07...so i know how knowledgable he is in the can-am world...

so i would think that it will work on the commander too.. have not heard any different.

Last edited:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run the stm rage 3 and it was a nice clutch.. just 0 engine braking..even with the braking helix that you can get for the stm secondary driven, still 0... then it blew up!
Now i have been running a cvtech on my rene... 2010 Xxc..... Got close to 6000 k on it and its mint.. just had it apart to check everything.... my machine has 70.36 rwhp and the
clutch shifts out at 8000 rpm... My dyno sheet has a very flat shiftout, so just sayin..results don't lie..

The fellow that is in the front office at get torqued is Yves and he has a exact set up as i do on an 09 rene.. and pushes the same rwhp.. he mentioned to me that on the weekend he was layin a
lickin on the 1000 all day.. and by 3-5 lenghts every time... Kevin likes the cvtech.. they ran it in the Num /Bum 24 hr ice race too..

Now all that said, the QSC is a great clutch too.. as far as everyone has heard. Get torqued told me that one that they tested worked excellent on one bike and another one they did, it did not work so good on that second bike... thats all i know... Whatever we hear on the can-am talk and can-am fourms is good feedback... the feedback that i trust 100% is from Kevin's mouth himself just cause i have dealt with him since late 07...so i know how knowledgable he is in the can-am world...

so i would think that it will work on the commander too.. have not heard any different.

I have found i have Zero engine breaking in high, but in low range its decent if i keep the rpms up

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably going with the STM rage VI six arm as the rage lll is more like a factory replacement than a performance clutch talked to a guy who had his new Qcs clutch break apart after only a few rides on a 800 outy and as far as the Cvtech goes have heard as much bad as good so not to sure what to think

Top Bottom