Best tool for cutting of running boards

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my running boards on my 2014 cat and just wondering what's the best tool to cut the old ones off ... I have a lot of small angles and short cuts and want a clean cut ? ????

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a zip cut. actually, I made my buddy cut the first side off....couldn't bring myself to hack off the running board

skidplate

Reaction score
I don't have access to air tools so I used an angle grinder with a small disk and a rip saw with a fine metal blade - this was for the small cuts. Slow and steady. Then you can round out any rough edges after the fact with the grinder. Just wear safety glasses and be prepared to tip the sled on it's side every now and then to get a better angle at the cuts. I'm sure that there are more refined ways of doing it out there but this worked for me. Depending on what replacement boards you put on they can hide some of the imperfections from the cuts.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried a mini grinder and sawsall. I found I had more control with the sawsall.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my running boards on my 2014 cat and just wondering what's the best tool to cut the old ones off ... I have a lot of small angles and short cuts and want a clean cut ? ????

These are what we use in our shop for almost all running board mods. Easy to use and they do clean work. But you do need a compressor.
The Nibbler actually does a cleaner job and easier to control, while the saw can easily wonder off. Eigther one will do it, i use both sometime one is easier to get into certain places.
All depending if your wanting to buy the tools i guess.
Eastwood Air Nibbler

sled obsessed

Reaction score
i used a little oscillating tool like a dremel or whatever, with a metal blade that came in the kit. a little slower but awesome control. much less nerve racking

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ended up using a Dremel with a very tiny zip disc worked awesome now going to grab a flapper to clean up the ruff edges .... but now I'm stumped on how im suppose to cut the front by the foot well ... the boards are racewerx has anyone had any dealings with these boards

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plasma cutter but watch where the sparks go they will weld themselves to everything I use a piece of plywood for a shield

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a 5" grinder with a zip cut. Plenty of power unlike an air tool. We have plasmas too, but if you have layers, it won't cut very nice. Also, if depth is an issue, like around the rear suspension bracket, a zip cut is manageable. I have cut the running boards off of three nytros.

Last edited:

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Angle grinder with zip disc for the large cuts. Air body saw for the foot well and detailed cuts. Clean up with die grinder with flapper wheel

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a 5" grinder with a zip cut. Plenty of power unlike an air tool. We have plasmas too, but if you have layers, it won't cut very nice. Also, if depth is an issue, like around the rear suspension bracket, a zip cut is manageable. I have cut the running boards off of three nytros.

I can't think of a more dangerous tool to be cutting aluminum with. :fear:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a more dangerous tool to be cutting aluminum with. :fear:

You're kidding me, right? I guess if you're a hack, then any tool is dangerous. A zip cut on a grinder cutting any material is dangerous, if you're a tool...IMHO!:shrug:

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a set of airframes on my M8. I used a cordless dremel with a zip disc. Had an extra battery on charge while I used it. It worked awesome. Had to go a little slower than I would have with an air powered zip disc but that probably wasnt a bad thing. Then used one of the little flapper discs that comes in the kit to clean up some of the edges.

SledHeadRyan

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
search "powermodz" on youtube he has done it on a few sleds and shows you how to also. just search for it on his chanel.

Ryan Gibson

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zip disk works well I installed 1/2 dozen set of boards and used Zip disk every time. Zip disk are safe when used properly but dangerous when not used properly.

Reactions: zal
Top Bottom