best performance upgrade for a 2013 Dodge 6.7 Dually???

sharpstick

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bit the bullet and upgraded to a dually as the trailer I bought is over weight for my SRW Longhorn.
I've purchased a 2013 Ram. Its a longbox crew cab 4X4. Was hoping to find a Megacab shortbox but ended up with this one as I feel I got a good deal. Anyways, it has 153000 kms on it. I'm thinking of doing some upgrades and was wondering what all I should do to increase power and fuel efficiency? I have had diesels for years but have never done any mods at all.
The main purpose of this truck will be to pull a toyhauler 5th wheel (21,000lbs when loaded) so what all should I upgrade?
I am located in Calgary so advice on where to get the work done, brands etc are all welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
Sharpstick

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do the DPF Delete that's usually your best area to start at for mileage and performance gains. makes the truck a whole new animal even with a basic 50hp heavy tow tune. EFI Live for the tuning and usually do MBRP exhaust kits. you can upgrade the intake and the intercooler piping as well.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just did the delete on my 2012 ram at 92k km huge difference in fuel mileage went with a EFI liver 50 hp tune ( coopers tune ) and the 4" proflo exhaust with the resonator sounds good and no drone cost me just under $900.00 for the tune and exhaust ( i installed the exhaust my self ) its easy to install except getting the old one off if you want to save it intact
4" exhaust is all you need unless you are planing a big horsepower build
cold air intakes are a waste of money performance wise ( gives more turbo noise only)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i just did the delete on my 2012 ram at 92k km huge difference in fuel mileage went with a efi liver 50 hp tune ( coopers tune ) and the 4" proflo exhaust with the resonator sounds good and no drone cost me just under $900.00 for the tune and exhaust ( i installed the exhaust my self ) its easy to install except getting the old one off if you want to save it intact
4" exhaust is all you need unless you are planing a big horsepower build
cold air intakes are a waste of money performance wise ( gives more turbo noise only)
a k&n(OR similar) stock replacement air filter is a good investment... Keeps the noise down, and still filters well, without the possibility of "dusting" the engine

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
a k&n(OR similar) stock replacement air filter is a good investment... Keeps the noise down, and still filters well, without the possibility of "dusting" the engine

how does that work with the 2013 having the "Active Ram" Air Intake? Is there a cheater for that sensor?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The S&B kit would be the best for intakes it has the ram air valve and indicator light in the kit also S&B has the best filters in the game. Another option cheap and easy BD throttle sensitivty booster is an awesome purchase stock or modded truck it works well. It's usually under $400 as well

sharpstick

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. I am not after huge horsepower gains so I think the 50hp tune is good and the exhaust. I have read what a lot of guys have done to older Dodge's but can't find much info for a '13.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya the studs are cheap to do these factory turbos are creating some nasty pressures especially used with the exhaust brake we have seen several stock trucks coming in for head gaskets.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do studs before the gasket goes, can you do one at a time and avoid pulling the head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you can avoid it if you do the studs before you have failure it is always nice to pull the head and make sure there is no warping starting

sharpstick

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice.
Any place in Calgary that you guys can recommend to get the work done or to order it from?
Cheers,
SS

Top Bottom