Best news I hear all day, let's build a railway!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course you all know what this really means, we will be able to snowmobile straight from Fort McMurray to Alaska!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we have to rely on the Americans yet again to export our oil? Plus use a significantly more risky method of transport, I'm not sure that this is a total win, but if we can finally get more product to market then I guess I'm for it.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can't keep a railroad open between Edmonton and Fort Mac, but people think it's a good idea to go another 2000km in the tundra to Alaska? Good luck, and any revenue will be eaten by maintenance and repairs on the line.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can't keep a railroad open between Edmonton and Fort Mac, but people think it's a good idea to go another 2000km in the tundra to Alaska? Good luck, and any revenue will be eaten by maintenance and repairs on the line.

Exactly, couldn't we use the current rail system to transport oil to a port in Prince Rupurt or Vancouver? Other than for the fact the no one on the BC coast wants an oil port near them?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is a possible alternative and maybe not an unreasonable one. I think the real value is to demonstrate to others that we may not be as hemmed in as they think. Perhaps an alternative might help them see the light that maybe they should reconsider. BTW, I personally think Kitimat is not a great port for a supertanker. Look at Google maps and it is like threading a needle. I would think there are better spots I am sure. Prince Rupert looks much easier to reach and the rail already runs there. Just another pipeline to Edmonton and away we go.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your information from? The Ridley Island Coal Terminal is already expanding to handle crude exports.
Exactly, couldn't we use the current rail system to transport oil to a port in Prince Rupurt or Vancouver? Other than for the fact the no one on the BC coast wants an oil port near them?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be cool to be able to load the sled trailer and truck onto the train in Fort Mac and 1200km later be in AK to go sledding :)

Bert204

Reaction score
They've talked for decades about building a rail line through the Yukon Territory to Alaska but cost of such a project has always gotten in the way. I still think a pipeline is the better and safer way we just need more hippy beatings to keep the tree huggers and leaf lickers down in B.C. lol With that being said I hope they do get this project going instead of just talking about it and keep the oil sands and oil fields digging and pumping away.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They've talked for decades about building a rail line through the Yukon Territory to Alaska but cost of such a project has always gotten in the way. I still think a pipeline is the better and safer way we just need more hippy beatings to keep the tree huggers and leaf lickers down in B.C. lol With that being said I hope they do get this project going instead of just talking about it and keep the oil sands and oil fields digging and pumping away.

The 300km of rail line between Ft Mac and Boyle was closed due to the tracks sinking into the earth. They then spent millions to repair and upgrade the line with better technology over a 3 year span, only to heavily damage the 1st test car they sent. It's now abandoned once again. I would wager that a line from Fort Mac to Alaska is practically impossible for any amount of money.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you get your information from? The Ridley Island Coal Terminal is already expanding to handle crude exports.
I dont know where you get your facts, but that is simply not true.

In 2011 Ridley Island Terminals started and expansion to double their coal exports, were on track till early 2013 when the coal market tanked, since then they have drastically cut back the expansions, moving from a completion date of Aug 2015 to a date of late 2019 and a drop from 25,000,000 tonnes of capacity to 18,000,000 tonne capacity. In this ongoing expansion there is NO mention of any development towards handling crude oil. Ridley Island Terminals is a federally owned corporation and their information is open to the public.

Bert204

Reaction score
The 300km of rail line between Ft Mac and Boyle was closed due to the tracks sinking into the earth. They then spent millions to repair and upgrade the line with better technology over a 3 year span, only to heavily damage the 1st test car they sent. It's now abandoned once again. I would wager that a line from Fort Mac to Alaska is practically impossible for any amount of money.

Nothing is impossible in road building they just have to take a different route if that's bad, and even then railroads have been built on worst bog and operating for years. Look at the line to Churchill, MB it's almost all floating bog and permafrost that never thaws. They have constant problems with keeping rail car traffic above grade but they still manage it just takes money and good engineering.......lots of it.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How would you feel if the pipeline was going through your back yard?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would you feel if the pipeline was going through your back yard?

We used to live on a quarter section that had the alliance pipeline run from one corner to the next. Once it was in the ground you'd never know it is there.

Ask the the people of Lac-Megnatic how well using trains work.

Only a fool wouldn't welcome product to be shipped by a pipeline vs trains/transport trucks.

Top Bottom