Best Helmet Camera?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from Launch Helmet Cam site.... New VIO POV.HD helmet camera just announced! | Launch Helmet Cams

"The VIO POV.HD is the first helmet camera to feature a full 1920 x 1080p HD sensor to record native 1080p video. Other HD helmet cameras such as the GoPro and Contour cameras use a 1280 x 960 sensor; in order to create 1080p footage they crop and upscale the data which results in a narrow field of view and reduced quality. The VIO POV.HD also performs real time video enhancement thanks to its powerful Texas Instrument Da Vinci processor. Videos information is corrected for lens distortion (fish-eye), vignetting (reduced brightness/saturation around edges) and lens softness. The HD camera head features a 6 element glass lens which, combined with the 1080p sensor and real time enhancement, results in stunning HD video that blows the competition out of the water."

I ordered one....gonna be sweet! :beer:

edit: site I ordered from gave the wrong pricing, the special is $599 American. Launch contacted me and corrected the price.
$625 Canadian, free shipping and a 16gb card.

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bit pricey for me as im already worried about the new gopro falling off the helmet. was a big investment for me and will be hookiing up some sort of small leash for it for piece of mind especially in the trees...lol

will be testing it out tomorrow for the fist time, kinda excited

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bit pricey for me as im already worried about the new gopro falling off the helmet. was a big investment for me and will be hookiing up some sort of small leash for it for piece of mind especially in the trees...lol

will be testing it out tomorrow for the fist time, kinda excited
good idea on the tether, there was a video posted here, by Rucky maybe? but he endoed going downhill on a white/orange A/C M-series and his camera came off his helmet....lucky to find it in deep snow I would think.

smc

Reaction score
I didn't see these comments as positive about go pro as you did, seems like the battery life is not so good, the camera has no remote, your right on the price..it is less than half..

my thoughts were that if films companies are using gopros then they are probably the best in the market, seeing how most film makers strive for producing the highest quality product they can.

but now that the POV.HD is being released i too agree it will be the best helmet cam, if you can afford it.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use the Go Pro HD on the race quad. Have stuck it to the helment and the handle bars. For training we point it at the track or at the rider to watch his body postion. (Some of the facial expressions are price less)

Have also stuck it on the hood of a race car (using the sucktion cup mount) and have hit 150 mph ran it in real time and the slow motion mode.

Also took the unit down to 100' diving....it needed more light, butonce we fixed that proble have some great pictures diving. What blew me away was the sound it captured under water.....even a loud under water gasp, I had persuaded my wife to follow me into a cave and when she saw the shark....well it's priceles...

Havent used the other camera's mentioned but am pretty satisfied with this one. The controls are not that intuitive and take some getting used to, and the remote control would be handy....the are suposed to be coming out with plug in screen for viewing /playback.

Top Bottom