Best Helmet Camera?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Milton and I are buying new helmet cameras and are seeking the best! There has not been a post on this that I can see since 2007.

Looking for input on battery life, ease of use, clarity,etc.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Milton and I are buying new helmet cameras and are seeking the best! There has not been a post on this that I can see since 2007.

Looking for input on battery life, ease of use, clarity,etc.
I was always a big fan of viosport stuff, but have seen some very good quality video from the GoPro HD as well a the Contour HD cams. they are a lot cheaper than the VIO models for sure.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best? The VIO POV 1.5 (dont get a version 1, the camera head has a cable system that isn't as good as the 1.5)

Its a standard def cam that produces quality video that you would swear is HD. It records in 720x480 which is standard TV broadcast quality. Has a remote that you can mount to your wrist, pack strap, or anywhere else for starting and stopping. Has a separate camera head that is super small, water and shock proof and allows for many many mounting options. Then the video capture system has a LCD screen that you can review and set up all your video from. You can pick these up for $500 online. There is a $70 mountin kit that has ridiculous mountain options as well.

The second best, IMO, is the GoPro HD. If you really want to shoot in HD, get the GoPro. The GoPro camera lens is smaller than the VIO, the smaller the lens, the less the quality is. Its super small, has lots of mounting options, its well proven and many people have them and like them. Its a complete standalone system. Somepeople complain they can't tell where its pointing when they mount it. They are releasing a LCD video screen that will attach to it in the near future.

I presonally don't like the Contour,

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had mine for 4 seasons of all season riding and taken some nasty spills... never had a issue with it, only keeping up with the batteries.

The differance between the 1.0 and the 1.5 is
  • Removed POV.1 Mount Pack
  • Added Star Mount and Double Hook and Loop Mount
  • Added 110 Tethered Camera head
  • Updated firmware – allows for POV 1.5 to use 8GB SDHC cards

Last edited:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The firmware upgrade is free and it expands the recorder capacity to accept 8gig cards.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The firmware upgrade is free and it expands the recorder capacity to accept 8gig cards.
the footage from your VIO is incredible. the case is weatherprooof, love the remote and ability to record loop or clips, if I was buying one it would be a VIO POV for sure. I'm gonna wait for an HD version, they must be coming out with something I would think.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is interesting i have the vio 1.0 and i love the features like the remote but the quality IS NOT nearly as good as the goprohd. not even close. cant even blow it up full screen on the computer

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the contour 1080p HD, I'm quite happy with the picture quality, the size of it is great. Lithium battery lasts quite a while, I have a spare battery as well, so it's quick to switch them out. The only negative thing I have abuot this camera, is that there is no display on it. You can't check out your footage until you get back and hook up to your computer.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is interesting i have the vio 1.0 and i love the features like the remote but the quality IS NOT nearly as good as the goprohd. not even close. cant even blow it up full screen on the computer

What? Can't blow it up to full screen? Thats fawked. we watch it on 50 inch tv at the best western in vale all the time. and on our laptops and home theaters.....the gopro is HD, this camera is not.

3 or 4 years ago this was all there was high end quality that was within most peeps budgets. $730.00 cdn for a helmet camera is pretty steep. Now there $500.00.
There is all kinds of cameras out there. I stick with this POV-1 because its good for what we do and quality,durability has never been a issue. I prefer the cable attached to the camera head rather than the stick on camera.... you wipe out or hit a tree or branch and the camera is gonzo, with the pov camera head and the recorder are seperate.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Contour 1080HD and i love it. amazing picture. so so good that infact on 1080 my laptop can run the videos lol.(cheap laptop) but i like the sound as well. the cam has the best sound for a wireless when i bought it. its durable. I race mx and its gotten its a$$ bounced off the ground numerious times and is still great. If your looking for simple its awesome little cousin figured it out and i can turn it on and off with big gloves still on. only thing i would change in that it's water resistant.....not proof.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good post dobir, there are lots of good opinions. I think we are gonna have to buy a dozen instead of a six pack to figure this one out..lol:beer:

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go pro is good have to change batterys every two hours anyone use the drift it has a veiw screen?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f504/helmet-cams-36466.html

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/go-pro-34484.html

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/help-helmet-cameras-33893.html

I had a Go Pro (non HD)...the case and the mounts are where the value is...the camera inside is a cheesy piece of crap. Main button failed after three years, I just threw it all out. Have a Drift170 (non-HD) and love it, the remote rocks. I just got the Drift170 HD and I will be putting it through it's paces soon.

Last edited:

smc

Reaction score
well if what the 'pros' use for most snowmobile/snowboarding movies is a sign of whats best the GoPro HD would be the number one. as for the v.i.o POV 1, its good quality for SD video but why would you buy a dying technology when newer and better is cheaper?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if what the 'pros' use for most snowmobile/snowboarding movies is a sign of whats best the GoPro HD would be the number one. as for the v.i.o POV 1, its good quality for SD video but why would you buy a dying technology when newer and better is cheaper?

I didn't see these comments as positive about go pro as you did, seems like the battery life is not so good, the camera has no remote, your right on the price..it is less than half..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The HD version of the VIO POV has just been announced and will be available in a few weeks. You can read more about it at this on Snow and Mud.
thread over! I'm positive the HD POV will blow everything currently available out of the water. bravo....:beer:

Top Bottom