best gasser for towing.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Its tough to beat the durability of the 6.0L vortec. My dad just upgraded to a duramax for work but had a 04 2500 6.0 with 4:11's well over 400 000km and only had to rebuild the transmission once and one water pump gasket and thats it but its getting ready for a new front end soon. still runs great and rides way smoother than my cummings. used to tow the fully loaded 4 place enclosed with 5 sleds and barbeque and about 2000lbs of work tools in the back all the time before we got diesels. towed pretty good would be alot better with 3:73 gears.

No such thing as a 'Cummings'....just sayin

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As to the half ton with the eco boost it would be hard to beat if you have a trailer to us for transporting. Putting a deck in a short box half ton to me is not the answer but see quite afew around.
The resale on the half tons is great also as had two of them and trucks were great but didn't like the short the box and the only long box you can get is in a supercab that i don't want. Reason for the F250.
If people are going to compare operating costs make sure that you have owned both and are comparing apples to apples. I have owned both and no one is going to tell me the diesel is the same or cheaper than a gas if your only towing or haulling 10% of the time.
Diesel fuel is more pricey half the year and in the fall time the last few years can be hard to get. Resale depends on the model and year as some can be worse to sell than a gas.
Anyway opinions are like arse holes everyone has one so do the reseach and buy what works for your needs.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Ford F150 Ecoboost and I gotta tell ya thing pulls hard. Not like a diesel but it is a contender . I only travel 2 mins to the office and hard to justify a diesel and would do more harm than good .My only dilemma is the deck thing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Ford F150 Ecoboost and I gotta tell ya thing pulls hard. Not like a diesel but it is a contender . I only travel 2 mins to the office and hard to justify a diesel and would do more harm than good .My only dilemma is the deck thing.

Ya exactly. I need a longbox for the 8 foot deck. + 1000lb of work gear + 2 sleds once in a while. Also I don't think the 150 series trucks have the hitch capacity for my enclosed. Its about 8000lbs fully loaded and has wheels fairly far back. Puts out about 2000lb hitch weight which my friends hitch on his chevy 1500 was only rated for 1100lbs hitch weight or something like that. Not the bumper hitch either. Frame hitch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your not hauling all the time, how can anyone justify a diesel.... that 10k extra would take years to pay off in gas money alone. chevy's got the 6.2L with the 6speed tranny. The 6spd is a very nice upgrade. I run a 6.0L with the 4spd and 4.10gears, hauls the bobcat out to golden without a hiccup doing the speed limit and then some. got 100ks on mine and not one issue.

i know the parents have a 07 dodge cummins with egr delete, dpf delete, chip, 5" exhaust, intercooler, injectors, bla bla bla, to help the gas milage.... still 15mpg with sleds on the back doing 120 down the 1hwy. granted hills dont phase it, but for the extra 10mins i will take the less cost. Stock with the sleds it got 13, and 15 loaded. At 80ks we had to do the injectors, they were so sloppy you could literally watch the oil dipstick come up.

oil change on the dodge is around 160ish, filter and oil. my 6.0l is less than 60.

last time i checked isnt the price of diesel more than gas still?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you guys spending so much on diesel oil changes? I put an amsoil filter and oil in my truck for under $200 (and I overpaid) and from their literature which has been backed up by friends of mine doing oil analysis the oil is good for 40,000km and the filter for 25,000km. I won't run it to the limit so I'll change it once a year, that's only $200/year for oil changes.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My biggest beef with the synthetic craze us in 5000 u can have a seal leak ect....

If u don't notice it have a leak and u get the oil changed at 5 to 10 k u caught it

Seen it many, many times seeing as I'm a auto tech...

Now u go 15 plus k and don't catch it now Ur doing a diffy or t case ect...

I'll keep my old school 6.5 Dsl. Pulls like a newer dirty max, gets 1000 plus km to a tank unloaded and is 60 bucks for a synthetic oil change. 20 for a fuel filter...
Ect... The list goes on

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd look at the GM 3/4 ton with the 6.2 and 6 speed....can't beat the comforts and ride of the GM on the highway.

Does Turd put the V10 in light duty trucks any more? DRD has a company Ford with a V10 and a lot of KMs....maybe he has on opinion....

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with my 6.5????

130L tank and I'm lucky to get 650km....

My biggest beef with the synthetic craze us in 5000 u can have a seal leak ect....

If u don't notice it have a leak and u get the oil changed at 5 to 10 k u caught it

Seen it many, many times seeing as I'm a auto tech...

Now u go 15 plus k and don't catch it now Ur doing a diffy or t case ect...

I'll keep my old school 6.5 Dsl. Pulls like a newer dirty max, gets 1000 plus km to a tank unloaded and is 60 bucks for a synthetic oil change. 20 for a fuel filter...
Ect... The list goes on

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im waiting for the ecoboost to be put in a 3/4 ton or maybe a big brother of the v6 wouldnt that be sweet twin turbo 5.3L? Ive heard rumors of it coming and honestly if it ever does happen i will be one of the 1st inline to get one.

If you need a truck soon and cant hold out until a f-250 ecoboost i would look @ the chev 2500 gasser buddy has one and it pulls awesome and rides great.... Fuel mileage isint the greatest like 22l/100k(pulling a loaded 26ft inclosed) but hey if its a company truck isint it company fuel?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ur isn't worked up like mine.

I can go to sicamouse with a 5 place full on a tank pulling hard and using 4x4 lots on the way...

Mabe u should come see mine bigger.

Mines also a 1 ton srw with 410 gears

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and I raced a buddy with the Eco boost in a 2011 ford. Brothers truck has the 6.2 liter. Both in f 150s The 6.2 pulled away good. No replacement for displacement. Surprisingly the 6.2 averages 14-15 liters per 100. Not great mileage but the motor sounds so good it's hard to keep the foot under control. The Eco boost seems to get 13 liters per hundred. I'm sure a f250 with a 6.2 would be adequate for you. Although like the others said, a deisel is what you kinda need. 3/4 and 1 tons are a big chassis.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know the new 2500 dodges come with the hemi....cousin has a 1500 hemi and i am hoping for something that tows much better than that...seems like more of a performance motor than a towing motor.

thanks
I have a 2012 2500 hemi and they are the same 5.7 as the half ton but a mapped completely different. More so towards towing. I pulled a 28 ft enclosed with 4 sleds and hardly even noticed it. I been told by the guys I work with that do not get a diesel if you plan on idling all day. They said its not good with all the missions crap they have on them. They are always having to do a rejen run the hi way to clean out the exhaust filter. I also have a 2010 6L and I will take the hemi any day over it.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd look at the GM 3/4 ton with the 6.2 and 6 speed....can't beat the comforts and ride of the GM on the highway.

Does Turd put the V10 in light duty trucks any more? DRD has a company Ford with a V10 and a lot of KMs....maybe he has on opinion....

GMC doesn't put their 6.2L in the 2500 apparently. You can only get it in the 1500HD.

Fords 6.2 replaced the V10. It's a way better motor anyways(in terms of fuel power.)

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They won't put the 3.5L in a F250. The motor is not designed for towing. It's designed to be a fuel efficient ranger replacement. No way in hell that little motor holds up towing the loads 3/4 tons are built for.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell;
I have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.2. I was in the same situation as you. I bought the 6.2 and am extremely happy with it. I also have a 2011 dirtymax for cruising around. The ford once you have over 30k really smartens up for mileage. I am getting 12-13 litres/100 at 110 empty. Not to bad for a 3/4 ton gasser. If you are going to pull once in a while as I do, the 6.2 has tons of power for towing, but it gets thirsty for sure. My dirtymax is getting around 12 litres/100 at 110 right now empty. The ford was $40,000 new the Chevy was $80,000 new. Thats a lot of gas bud. Good luck with your choice. I have a pic of my trucks in the truck section on here.
Sure wish i could hit the hills as much as you do.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GMC doesn't put their 6.2L in the 2500 apparently. You can only get it in the 1500HD.

Fords 6.2 replaced the V10. It's a way better motor anyways(in terms of fuel power.)
I went to the GM site...you're right about the GM. Makes no sense why you can get the 403 hp 6.2 in the 1/2 ton only...

The 6.2 Turd may reside in the light duty trucks, but it doesn't replace the V10...I'd hate to think how my motorhome would handle the hills to Fairmont with a 6.2....

dozer

Reaction score
got a 2012 f350 with 6.2 gas in dec. love it 400hp is plenty for pulling 27 ft enclosed only got 8000k on it but getting 17-18 mpg empty right now seems to be getting better. unless i was hooked to a large trailer every day you couldn't hardly give me a diesel 10 grand more to burn more expensive fuel with same or worse mileage,higher maintenance,switching fuel in storage from summer to winter,winter to summer,warm up cool down,black smoke and stink,every time you get close to a fuel pump need a haz. mat suit so you don't come away smelling like a refinery. this seem to me like the perfect truck for running around in, shorter trips and general driving but fully capable when it needs to tow.i deal and work with diesel engines almost daily and even the best are cranky in the winter. i wanted something i could walk out the door and know it'll start not worry oh i should have plugged it in. i'm also on volunteer fire dept. so at 3am. its gotta start and warm up fast. oh and for the record oil changes are at 8000k not 5 like was mentioned earlier, i own operate a grain farm have lots of diesel right handy and am very comfortable with diesel engines but really am not a fan of diesel pickups unless they are hooked to heavy loads regularly(they do have there place) i just can't understand all these guys with jacked up,chipped,straight pipe diesel trucks that puke black smoke and never see more of a load then the one in their sack .i really like the 6.2 so far it works really well for me,but thats me and your needs may be different. j.m.o.

Top Bottom