Belts. What to buy?

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys are running for belts on your sled. I would rather not have to pay ski doo $200 for a new belt if I don't have to.

Is there a belt that you guys run that is more economical and good quality? Cheaper sources other than ski doo online or the dealer for new oem belts? Or should I just not be so cheap and pay up for a doo belt?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with my stock belt as well. Spare is the same. I don't run my sled as hard as some of these guys do though. Im too fat for that.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run doo belts, last the best

If u have a xp, get clutch work done and dialed in

Will pay u back in lack of belts fast

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far looks like I just gotta pay up for a doo belt haha. I have always ran doo belts myself, but just wondered if there was something of equal quality for less.

tex, I do have a new to me 2012 that I picked up over the summer that I am anticipating doing a rebuild on the primary, just haven't got around to pulling it apart yet. I have always kept up on my clutches in the past and will continue to do the same with regular cleaning and inspecting. I have never personally blown a belt I have only swapped them out when they are getting worn and my current one is definitely showing some wear haha.

I have also been looking at doing a DJ clutch kit as well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a xp get the clutch tower brace. Had one on mine and helped lots for belt life and performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a xp get the clutch tower brace. Had one on mine and helped lots for belt life and performance.

Just have to keep up on the engine mounts, 2012 had better mounts

The braces were more so 08 to 10 to fix

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was an 09. Really helped a lot. In Revy the brace broke and I noticed it as soon as it happened. The sled just didn't go as good, opened the side panel and it was laying there. Put one on my xm to but I put it on new so I can't say if it helped or not.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! On my 08 I never had clutch problems, but maybe it could have been better with a brace kit... but oh well haha

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So tex, based on what you said about the 2012 is the brace kit necessary or worth it in your opinion? Or just leave it as is?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard it helps some and nothing different on others

I just keep a eye on my mounts, also don't have big bores ( they need it more so)

2010 xpx, and 2014 xmx

I've never needed it for either, I also find the brace blocks off sone room ( I stuff my wet gloves on top of the head when I stop)

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard it helps some and nothing different on others

I just keep a eye on my mounts, also don't have big bores ( they need it more so)

2010 xpx, and 2014 xmx

I've never needed it for either, I also find the brace blocks off sone room ( I stuff my wet gloves on top of the head when I stop)

Alright thanks! I appreciate your input. I will likely just hold off for now then and see how she goes. Cant wait for the snow to come!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks! I appreciate your input. I will likely just hold off for now then and see how she goes. Cant wait for the snow to come!
And let's make your first ride of the year in Fernie! Accommodations on me!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 2012 I ran stock clutching, which was a big of a dog off the line but it worked well for the most part. I ran my sled a bit harder than some people and pretty sure I had over 2000kms on the original belt. It was like a spaghetti noodle when I changed it but worked well! Its a pricey belt but really its the best and should last the longest.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys are running for belts on your sled. I would rather not have to pay ski doo $200 for a new belt if I don't have to.

Is there a belt that you guys run that is more economical and good quality? Cheaper sources other than ski doo online or the dealer for new oem belts? Or should I just not be so cheap and pay up for a doo belt?

there are a lot of options, I have run most. here is some tech info for you

gates 49c4266, doo 391, & dayco 5025 are all good runners. they dayco is a medium compound hardness so you need to clutch slightly better so it does not glaze over, tough belt and has lasted 2500km of hard running. the gates we ran last year and worked right on par with a doo 391, less belt dust and ran cooler.

dayco 5034, stay away. too big dimensionally and is way heavier than stock. good for turbo setups that need extra belt life and strength.

doo 288 and dayco 5024 work good. both have soft race compounds and are narrower than stock, so you may loose some top end.

doo 425 is what I would like to get my hands on. it is a 288 compound but same dimensions as the 391

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of options, I have run most. here is some tech info for you

gates 49c4266, doo 391, & dayco 5025 are all good runners. they dayco is a medium compound hardness so you need to clutch slightly better so it does not glaze over, tough belt and has lasted 2500km of hard running. the gates we ran last year and worked right on par with a doo 391, less belt dust and ran cooler.

dayco 5034, stay away. too big dimensionally and is way heavier than stock. good for turbo setups that need extra belt life and strength.

doo 288 and dayco 5024 work good. both have soft race compounds and are narrower than stock, so you may loose some top end.

doo 425 is what I would like to get my hands on. it is a 288 compound but same dimensions as the 391[/QUOT

Do you even ride?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure proper alignment, proper deflection and clean clutches often and you'll have no problems.

Top Bottom