Belt issues on the 850

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking and comparing stock clutch setups over the past few years between the 850 and the Etec to try and get a handle on how the Pdrive is coming setup compared to a TRA. I know it's challenging without really knowing the ramp profiles of each, but there are a lot of similarities. What is really jumping out at me in the spreadsheet I've made is the secondary spring. Helixes are the same, primary spring are of similar forces, gearing at 1:1 on a 154 is very similar... leading me to believe the ramps in the TRA and Pdrive are acting fairly similarily. What is quite different is the secondary spring. The spring used in the G4 is a Blue 157/221 whereas the spring used in last years Etec was a Black 157/303 no matter on track length or depth. Based simply on that it would almost appear the secondary is shifting too soon putting the machine into a higher gear quicker than previous years. This could easily explain why the belt is heating. I would be real curious to see what a change to simply the Black secondary spring would do.

Black secondary is a good upgrade to the early XM's over the blue spring so could see it being a step backward going back to the blue

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the belts generally are running too hot ...
Not a sled guy , but a ton of research has been done in the SXS world . Load / clutching and other factors can lead you astray .. But the common denominator is most always ... The belt got to hot for too long .
Not sure what you use ( or if ) fora belt temp gauge, but we use a rzr back one that measures actual belt temp
. You can pretty well
Predict when the belt will blow , by the rise and steady temp .
Did not back read all of this , but the belt temp would supply the info needed....
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be603f52c3b32689f243c45f035cec16.jpg

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a pretty easy fix. Im curious to hear feedback from someone switching to a stiffer secondary. A friend said it looks like only half of the primary is being used, and secondary right to full shift. Sounds like a stiffer secondary spring might be the fix

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might be a pretty easy fix. Im curious to hear feedback from someone switching to a stiffer secondary. A friend said it looks like only half of the primary is being used, and secondary right to full shift. Sounds like a stiffer secondary spring might be the fix

After I blew my belt it left a giant mess on my clutches . I rode home on my spare belt and when I got there I could see only half the primary was scrubbed clean.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds to me like slippage in the secondary, any black marking?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My primary (the bottom clutch) has only scrubbed half the discs too. I thought that was weird when looking at it.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the secondary is shifting out too easily, causing the primary to only operate in the bottom half. Stiffer secondary would stop this. I heard someone else say that they noticed there was no engine braking coming downhill on these new sleds. Stiffer secondary should give better backshifting and help with this as well.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How could these sleds be sent out with the wrong spring. This is a huge fumble in my mind.

Reactions: LID

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the secondary is shifting out too easily, causing the primary to only operate in the bottom half. Stiffer secondary would stop this. I heard someone else say that they noticed there was no engine braking coming downhill on these new sleds. Stiffer secondary should give better backshifting and help with this as well.

yup..ther's basically no engine braking coming down hill ... '

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP can build a sweet engine but can't seem to clutch new models, this still blows me away, especially when the proto's were good

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be trying Rotax kid suggestion. In fact if I had a 850 it probably wouldn't have made it out of the garage without a secondary spring change.
The 03-04 revs came with soft secondary springs. It was like a new sled with a green or violet spring in there.
Might require a touch more pin weight or clicker 1 or softer primary

timmus

Reaction score
Brp always seems to leave it up to the end user (aftermarket) to fix their shortcomings

Top Bottom