Belt drive on 2015 163 T3

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran a few belt drives now on a number of sleds and will continue to use them. I have had one on my T3 163 since out of the box, works perfectly. biggest thing with these belt drives proper tension, you will be amazed at how loose you can run these. Out of all the kits I have installed and own have never blown a belt. This is on stock machines and an e-tec turbo.

First ride out this year we have 3 brand new T3 163's, one bone stock no susp adjustments can etc., second bone stock just a can, and mine with the belt drive, can, and set up suspension. Marcuso, rode all 3 three and came back say mine definatetly pulled the hardest, climbed better etc. cause of the belt drive, I don't know, probably helps, but its a combination of suspension set up too.

Attach is what I always send to ppl when they ask me about it.
FullSizeRender.jpg

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried the belt drive on my last sled and didn't really see any advantage over the chain...I think for the cost you could do a lot of better upgrades.
As far as reliability they were no better than the Chain...My group had 4 sleds running them (C3) and we all put between 2500 and 2800km on.
All 4 sleds went through at least 1 belt, 2 went through 2 belts and 1 went through 3...3 out of the 4 also blew the top gear into pieces.
Nobody carried an extra gear so we were no better off than having a chain...still needed to be towed out or had to go back in with parts and repair on the hill.
If doo were to come out with a factory belt drive great but I wouldn't waste my money to buy an aftermarket one again.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Tki is lighter than the stock gears, I weighed every part on my scale.

I took my whole belt drive off for a inspection recently and the aluminum splines were like brand new and I'm still on my original belt. 1000 satisfied miles so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys running big boost on the t3 this year with stock chaincase with out issue, so to think one is doing it for the prevention of the chain breaking seams like there fishing a bit..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys running big boost on the t3 this year with stock chaincase with out issue, so to think one is doing it for the prevention of the chain breaking seams like there fishing a bit..

Yeah and sounds like the belts break more often that chains do. I was thinking about belt drive for my T3.

Doesn't really sound worth it though based on this thread??

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah and sounds like the belts break more often that chains do. I was thinking about belt drive for my T3.

I guess it's like any mod really, at first I did not believe it was worth it till I rode other sleds without one. There is gains, I'd rather break a belt over a chain anyway, and once the belt is broke in, readjust it properly and basically forget about it. Tension is critical on a beltdrive and a bit of a pain to learn how to do it properly, but I would do another that's for sure.

I'm still not sure why doo does not have one maybe in the next chassis design, and if the do I hope their smart enough to put a tensioner on it.

Last edited:

chris79

Reaction score

I think if your running big power i would feel better with a chain than a belt. On the stocker i like the idea of a belt. I heard guys doing big launches then grabbing brake to control the sled in the air were ripping cogs off, anyone else hear this?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if your running big power i would feel better with a chain than a belt. On the stocker i like the idea of a belt. I heard guys doing big launches then grabbing brake to control the sled in the air were ripping cogs off, anyone else hear this?

I know a 509 athlete and he runs belt drives on his sleds, big air, drops etc hasn't blown a belt. Sleds have 3" tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it's like any mod really, at first I did not believe it was worth it till I rode other sleds without one. There is gains, I'd rather break a belt over a chain anyway, and once the belt is broke in, readjust it properly and basically forget about it. Tension is critical on a beltdrive and a bit of a pain to learn how to do it properly, but I would do another that's for sure.

I'm still not sure why doo does not have one maybe in the next chassis design, and if the do I hope their smart enough to put a tensioner on it.

Im up in the air about it. The Chain hasn't let me down yet and belt drive is 1000$ Changing a belt on the hill is no big deal, but fawking
a gear up(Cogs ext) Could be a piss off. Just debating if the small performance gain is worth it or not??

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just stock motor. I want to do some light weight mods and a few other little things, but I want to keep the stock reliability.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im up in the air about it. The Chain hasn't let me down yet and belt drive is 1000$ Changing a belt on the hill is no big deal, but fawking
a gear up(Cogs ext) Could be a piss off. Just debating if the small performance gain is worth it or not??
I haven't commented on this thread because I'm on a Cat. But... my Cat has 280 hp, spins a 3" track. The stock chain was pooched at 500km, so I went to a C3 belt drive for reliability. 2 seasons later, still on the same belt and pulleys. Have heard of a few failures - I suspect some are due to improper belt tension. The increase in throttle response and the ability to change a belt in the backcountry was enough for me to replace the quick drive on my wife's 660 ProRMK, and the chain on the backup M800 we have to C3 drives as well. The system works well, albeit a bit expensive.

chris79

Reaction score
Just stock motor. I want to do some light weight mods and a few other little things, but I want to keep the stock reliability.

Same here. Im on the fence with it. Like to get a few lbs off too. C3 hood is nice but F-ing pricey.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

chris79

Reaction score
I haven't commented on this thread because I'm on a Cat. But... my Cat has 280 hp, spins a 3" track. The stock chain was pooched at 500km, so I went to a C3 belt drive for reliability. 2 seasons later, still on the same belt and pulleys. Have heard of a few failures - I suspect some are due to improper belt tension. The increase in throttle response and the ability to change a belt in the backcountry was enough for me to replace the quick drive on my wife's 660 ProRMK, and the chain on the backup M800 we have to C3 drives as well. The system works well, albeit a bit expensive.

My brother put one on his 2014 cat this season. So far has worked well for him. Maybe bigger benefit for the cat guys to get rid of that ridiculous oil tank. He geared his up and said bottom feels just as strong with some more top end. Seems to think its more efficient. Would think that would translate to the doo as well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at TKI but maybe C3 is a better way to go? :beer:

chris79

Reaction score

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to change the thread topic, but Ya i seen those and wondered how the fit was? Did Rob get his with the air box connection or doing something different?

His is Turboed, im not sure how he has it plumbed in. They fit good though, a few other guys in town have them too.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Tki is lighter than the stock gears, I weighed every part on my scale.

I took my whole belt drive off for a inspection recently and the aluminum splines were like brand new and I'm still on my original belt. 1000 satisfied miles so far.

My bad. I found the thread I was referring to. Didn't realize it was a Polaris pro thread.lol. The tki for the pro is heavier than the pro quick drive.

Top Bottom