Belt drive on 2015 163 T3

chris79

Reaction score
Now that we know the 2016 line up, I will be keeping the T3 another season. Thinking of adding a belt drive for next year. Looking for feedback from guys running them on the T3's this year. Good, bad, worth the coin ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran belt drives before nothing to notice. More of a piece of mind of being able to change a belt. break a chain and your screwed.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have let you look at mine Chris. I have a TKI. I Noticed a slight improvement in throttle response with it. I thought I was dreaming, but put chaincase back together midseason with the same gearing to compare. Response was slightly better. Little less weight. Little bit of a whine compared to a chain, but runs smoother I find.

My biggest peeve with the belt drive is the blue dust during belt break in. I like to keep my machine pretty clean and that drove me nuts.

I found about a 3lbs weight loss

Attachments

• 20140102_212702.jpg
    20140102_212702.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

chris79

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Every bit of weight you can get out of the xm is a bonus. These are great sleds just wish they could shave 15-20 lbs from factory, and not just in a lightweight muffler but thats another topic. The chain is massive in these xm's i can see some benefits with a belt drive.

chris79

Reaction score
Heard nothing but good things from guys with the C3. Faster RPM increase and less weight.
I see nothing bad about going with the belt drive.

Is there a quality difference between the c3 and TKI? Both look very nice. C3 little more $$$

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that the C3 kits were having some issues with the 2" top gear, so they went to a 3", but haven't actually talked to anyone with a kit in the T3 yet.
I'm looking to grab a TKI this week, so will give some feedback.
I have the C3 on my 14 XM 163 and no issues to speak of...

Cheers,
RN

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a quality difference between the c3 and TKI? Both look very nice. C3 little more $$$

Both about the same...I'd go with what the exchange rate favors..C3 might turn out to be less expensive in that case.

chris79

Reaction score
Good point. If quality is the same then the $$$ is what matters.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have let you look at mine Chris. I have a TKI. I Noticed a slight improvement in throttle response with it. I thought I was dreaming, but put chaincase back together midseason with the same gearing to compare. Response was slightly better. Little less weight. Little bit of a whine compared to a chain, but runs smoother I find.

My biggest peeve with the belt drive is the blue dust during belt break in. I like to keep my machine pretty clean and that drove me nuts.

I found about a 3lbs weight loss

Blue dust is often due to belt being too tight.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a belt drive (but would love to put one on for the piece of mind). The only issue that I have heard about is the belts. Some guys are running on the first belt installed after 2000km and some guys have broken 5 in the first 600km. During the first time out you need to take the time to check and adjust your belt tension every time you stop and then every morning before you take off from the parking lot. If you take the time to break the belt in properly it will prob last.

Not sure if I'm going to wait for the wife to give me the green light to pick one up or if I should just beg for forgiveness and go straight to the dog house for a week and be done with it hahaha.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not waste the money on the t3 with the belt drive, for the cost.. Out it towards a turbo and your bang for the buck is ten to one

Not everyone wants or needs a turbo. They are usually awesome for the "look at me" factor. If the riding group doesn't have any turbo's in it then it also doesn't make for much good either.

$800 Belt drive or $6000 Turbo. Your bang for the buck might be ten to one, but your return certainly isn't.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not waste the money on the t3 with the belt drive, for the cost.. Out it towards a turbo and your bang for the buck is ten to one
Huh?
This thread isn't about adding power but upgrading to a lighter more efficient drive system and if it is worth it.

Also a turbo is what 6-7g? And a C3 belt drive is $900 to your door. Not everyone needs or wants a turbo especially at that price.

Best bang for your buck is right if you mean buck as in costs more for a turbo and bang as a broken rod goes through your case.

chris79

Reaction score
Ive had both 2 and 4 stroke turbos. Not interested in going down that road again right now. Just looking to make the T3 a little better than it already is. Both drives look like nice pieces comes down to price i think. In my experience its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission with the wife!!!!

chris79

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Best reviews you can get is from guys running them in "real" conditions.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had one of the first ones from the first 10 proto types .
Still running it and no problems and recommend Kevin and C3.
Very good to deal with and local.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heres what I did... Pick a chain to Get ride of the tensioner. Reliability of the chain, efficiency is probably nearing very close to a belt drive. Bang for the buck I think your further ahead with a pipe kit. Larger weight saving and more torque picked up in the midrange than the belt will give you. Belt drive is not going to give you anything noticeable on the top end.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom