Beer+snowboards+sleds=ratbaggers!!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have never left a sled behind, but yesterdy we left 2 of 4 sleds.
I blew a crank bearing, I guess I should have seen the signs but we all thought the rattle was the clutch ... oops
only put 1700km on her and now shes sitting an alpine bowl awaiting recovery. if it would stop snowing we'd drag her out but its stupid deep around here and stuck sleds are the theme of the long weekend. pooched the left pot, metal flakes on the plug, game over lets forget this machine and go snowboarding. and it was good ...

very end of day and budy smokes a rock ...

today we set out a bit stressed as to how the day was going to play out. the RT aint coming out for a while so we set out for the vector. before we had finished our first beer, a arms bent back into place and the banged up clutch gives luv and drives away. we went back to the yurt lit a fire drank a beer and cursed not bringing snowboards. but we had stashed a no-board up there and slayed pow on a board I've never riden. total blizzard conditions but the yamy had to come home, and we got a great days adventure in the mtns ...

IMG_0336_zps96603966.jpg

the little wood stove is the exhaust off the yamy ...
a yurt and wood stove is a blessing on a snowy blowy day ...

IMG_0338_zps323bb757.jpg

I'll see if I have any good pic's from the weekend ...
surely I do ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fridy was fun ...

satdy was crazy ...

sundy was a stuck fest gong show ...

mundy was off the hook ... until sleds sheet the bed ...

tuewsdy was deep ...

002_zps4777fde9.jpg

but he made the 8ft drift only to get stuck in the 2ft drift ...
ok ... I'll come sort this out ...
there's this thing called "momentum" eh ...

041_zps08cb402d.jpg

now your getting the momentum thing eh ...

oh ... so you think your a pro eh ...

043_zpsf20829c1.jpg

photos never do justice ...

there was a wee cornice here, I thought about crashing up and thru it but its about 10-12ft high and I thought = stuck ...
he comes and slashes it, destroys it like a pro and the pic is just ... meh ...

044_zps6ed2af7f.jpg

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no ... this is the sled I have been riding the last 2 seasons.
she sat under a tarp, under a tree for six weeks and started 2nd pull. It is such a happy sled !!!
even with all her bends and cracks she is fun to ride, motor is making excelent power and noise. I've put 3 more days on her,2 in the mtns and tranduming 3 guys and 3 snowboards no probs. yestdy was playing around blaeberry river trails, man that was fun ...

the blae riv trails are riding great, there is still tons of fresh pow to be found everywhere, and many logging roads nobody has touched all season. this season started slow but we have soooo much more snow down low than previous years making many new zones axcessable.

here's a couple of buddy showing his daughter how we play in the mtns, both on sleds and snowboards ...

005_zpscd2de7fa.jpg

everyone thinks these yamys are turbo'ed or supercharged coz nobody has seen these boat anchors perform so well in deep pow ...

006_zps21fd4d36.jpg

this isnt stuck he road right out of it, nearly clipped me as he got sucked into my 4ft trench ...

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thursdys adventure required a creek crossing trail ...

IMG_0345_zps39aef4d0.jpg

logging roads are riding sweet ...

flats are fun ...

IMG_0354_zps4c357835.jpg

then we found a small quary ...

IMG_0358_zpsed30291a.jpg

blae is riding nicely ...
the first shot is willowbank, it doesn't go far, but fun awaits ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
today we had 2014 freeride and 2013 xm ...
I really enjoy dropping these guys off on snowboard laps as I get to ride a piece of bling in deep pow ...
he let me use it to rebreak open hex bowl, from the peak ...

DSC01151_zps60a41a2c.jpg

its one thing to get in ... its another to get out ...
once I found the trail it was a piece of cake, but oh how it all changes visually after a good snow fall with wind ...

DSC01157_zps1ca270fc.jpg

meanwhile ... back at the golf course rodgers goes in search of a xmas tree ...

IMG_0365_zpsc07ca1c6.jpg

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome looking helmet. Looks like it's covered in hair and skin!

no ... this is the sled I have been riding the last 2 seasons.
she sat under a tarp, under a tree for six weeks and started 2nd pull. It is such a happy sled !!!
even with all her bends and cracks she is fun to ride, motor is making excelent power and noise. I've put 3 more days on her,2 in the mtns and tranduming 3 guys and 3 snowboards no probs. yestdy was playing around blaeberry river trails, man that was fun ...

the blae riv trails are riding great, there is still tons of fresh pow to be found everywhere, and many logging roads nobody has touched all season. this season started slow but we have soooo much more snow down low than previous years making many new zones axcessable.

here's a couple of buddy showing his daughter how we play in the mtns, both on sleds and snowboards ...

View attachment 167588

everyone thinks these yamys are turbo'ed or supercharged coz nobody has seen these boat anchors perform so well in deep pow ...

View attachment 167591

this isnt stuck he road right out of it, nearly clipped me as he got sucked into my 4ft trench ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was 2 weekends ago when all the snow fell ...
remote trigger almost got to the down track ...

009_zpsedb5f127.jpg

it didn't run far but it wrapped around this feature ...

DSC01049_zps6416c53c.jpg

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We towed old black home today without too many issues. My buddy was certain it was going to be just a top end, 1 piston n rings as the motor turns over and the cases weren't cracked open. he rides a 04 rev 800. this aint no 800, this is the 1000 and they just grenade the bottom end. but he had my hopes up.

once i got it in the garage I pulled the motor out and my worst fears started to become a reality ...

001_zps007201d1.jpg

Sssoooooo, where's all the metal flakes coming from ???

003_zps016e4538.jpg

thats a game changer ...

004_zps56b29a39.jpg

I bumped into the frenchie from motor tech one day in the backcounrty and he told me he did the top end in this sled last year and as far as I know it sat awaiting a buyer (or sucker). I have never over reved it or blown a belt, the clickers were on 1 and it wasn't even pulling 8100. there is play in the conrod bearing on the crank, I'm wondering if this was the rattle I was hearing. everyone thought it was the clutch. would play in that bearing cause the piston skirt to break up? Randy Baun told me that if guys who were doing a hard pull at full noise blew a belt, the over rev would crack the piston skirt and within 500km it would break off doing exactly this.
not only am I very disappointed, I'm confussed as to why.

oh yer, heed the rattle ...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We towed old black home today without too many issues. My buddy was certain it was going to be just a top end, 1 piston n rings as the motor turns over and the cases weren't cracked open. he rides a 04 rev 800. this aint no 800, this is the 1000 and they just grenade the bottom end. but he had my hopes up.

once i got it in the garage I pulled the motor out and my worst fears started to become a reality ...

View attachment 167934

Sssoooooo, where's all the metal flakes coming from ???

View attachment 167935

thats a game changer ...

View attachment 167936

I bumped into the frenchie from motor tech one day in the backcounrty and he told me he did the top end in this sled last year and as far as I know it sat awaiting a buyer (or sucker). I have never over reved it or blown a belt, the clickers were on 1 and it wasn't even pulling 8100. there is play in the conrod bearing on the crank, I'm wondering if this was the rattle I was hearing. everyone thought it was the clutch. would play in that bearing cause the piston skirt to break up? Randy Baun told me that if guys who were doing a hard pull at full noise blew a belt, the over rev would crack the piston skirt and within 500km it would break off doing exactly this.
not only am I very disappointed, I'm confussed as to why.

oh yer, heed the rattle ...

Generally skirts break from excessive wear on pistons, as they are more brittle they start to slap around in the cylinders and the skirts flex and break off. Rod ratios and angle have a lot to do with skirts breaking as well, as the forces are magnified in line with the rod direction when the extra side pressure is put on the piston. If the sled had a new top end last year, with minimal mileage there shouldn't have been that much wear on the pistons to cause a break. Cylinders could be out of round, maybe worn too much and needed oversize pistons. Take it to a good machinist and get them to check the clearances on the remaining good side. This will verify correct piston clearance and shouldn't be much more than stock spec if everything checks out.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last sundy Rodgers and I pushed into hex bowl for snowboard laps ...

IMG_0367_zps12e74d9f.jpg

and it was good ...

IMG_0376_zps1e98ce1a.jpg

actually ... it was perfect !!!

IMG_0379_zpse4efa7a9.jpg

thanks for thoughts on the pooched motor, any more thoughts are greatly appreciated ...

how the form of Rodgers ...

he steals my thunder by starting a contravercial thread for our group, both here and on tetongravity.com and then abandons both threads only to start a thread on some euro-trash ski/snowboard site.

perhaps that site gives his ego wot it craves ...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on thursdy S&M's very own super-celebrity lilduke graced golden with his presence ...

002_zps63e82e35.jpg

my buddy just got a turbo on his pro ...
wow ... wot a weapon ... when it ran ...

005_zps019c7307.jpg

nope ... your doo'in it wrong ...

ahhhh now I'm playing the game I enjoy ...
was it lilduke or me that remoted this ???

006_zps52973c53.jpg

I've snowboarded out of avy's before, but to sled out of a slide was a first for me ...

008_zpsfce3838f.jpg

while schmoozelling out off this, the next pocket over remoted ...

009_zpsaa305e1c.jpg

this is BCAV's brother, I sent him up to see if he could get some releases, but a crack was all he got on this slope, can you see it ...

012_zps46e6c78c.jpg

then he got a good pocket to go ...

011_zpscb889ae7.jpg

014_zps11288087.jpg

ohhh ... looky wotz hiding in there ...

017_zps22e0f12d.jpg

the ratbaggers look for instabilities and try to release them. as does ski patrol at a ski hill. we want to snowboard all of our terrain and can easily set up controlled situations. especially when only dealing with pockets and selected features. its how new ratbagger members learn about avy's by getting involved or at least watching ...

there's no point waiting to learn about road safety after your in a wreck ...

be proactive not reactive ...

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hes not havin much luck with that poo eh hopefully he gets er dialed in one of these days 3rd motors the charm haha:lemon:
greats pics adam i would say this is my favorite thread of the year
:beer:+snowboards+sleds=fawking good entertainment:perfect10:

cheers:beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my 1000 crank went it was the same thing, sounded like a worn out bushing on a TRA clutch arm. Live and learn lol.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on thursdy S&M's very own super-celebrity lilduke graced golden with his presence ...

View attachment 168147

my buddy just got a turbo on his pro ...
wow ... wot a weapon ... when it ran ...

View attachment 168148

nope ... your doo'in it wrong ...

ahhhh now I'm playing the game I enjoy ...
was it lilduke or me that remoted this ???

View attachment 168149

I've snowboarded out of avy's before, but to sled out of a slide was a first for me ...

View attachment 168150

while schmoozelling out off this, the next pocket over remoted ...

View attachment 168151

this is BCAV's brother, I sent him up to see if he could get some releases, but a crack was all he got on this slope, can you see it ...

View attachment 168152

then he got a good pocket to go ...

View attachment 168153

View attachment 168154

ohhh ... looky wotz hiding in there ...

View attachment 168155

the ratbaggers look for instabilities and try to release them. as does ski patrol at a ski hill. we want to snowboard all of our terrain and can easily set up controlled situations. especially when only dealing with pockets and selected features. its how new ratbagger members learn about avy's by getting involved or at least watching ...

there's no point waiting to learn about road safety after your in a wreck ...

be proactive not reactive ...

I think I remoted that one, but hey who knows for sure...lol:beer:

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see all the stuff you pulled out of there.

Are you sure that can of old mil you found in there had didn't have something to do with it?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
conditions are deep and dangerous ...

DSC01295_zpsfcc00bb0.jpg

helmets are optional ...

DSC01293_zpscf792e69.jpg

Top Bottom