Beef pricing

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ones that are destined to go to the market and ones that are fed for eating are 2 different things. Most cattle farmers sell the calves in fall- off they go, sure they keep some either as replacement stock or to age/ fatten up for eating. Grain finished animal makes a huge difference as well
$6 hanging plus cut and wrap isn’t bad at all in today’s day and age For good beef. Most are $1/lb for kill/cut depending on cuts and if any sausage or specialty stuff
Seems like your trying to be cheap when your already saving drastic amount over grocery store.
Are you serious? Are you one of the guys trying to justify charging these ridiculous prices?

A butcher steer for market and one "fed for eating" doesn't make any sense. A butcher steer is a butcher steer. Apples to apples. I'm not talking about a farmer weaning his calves in the fall and selling them.

And comparing a half or full beef to grocery store prices isn't accurate at all. The reason you pay more in the grocery store is for the convenience of buying whatever small quantity you want when you want it. Markuo on a perishable product is always going to be high.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Majority of butcher steers are in big feedlots

Everything has went up in price. Have you looked at any of the equipment the cowboy uses to make feed for it’s all went up 10-20% the grain to feed animal is double
Used to have cattle until 2 yrs ago . Sold lots of grain finished beef for $5lb cut & wrapped so for it to be $7ish now isn’t bad at all imho
If you can find a farmer that will have a beef for you every year and it’s good quality grain finished. You take it and pay the bill. What’s wrong with the farmer making a extra bucks vs giving it to a big corporation

I’m sure you don’t turn down a pay rise if offered it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Majority of butcher steers are in big feedlots

Everything has went up in price. Have you looked at any of the equipment the cowboy uses to make feed for it’s all went up 10-20% the grain to feed animal is double
Used to have cattle until 2 yrs ago . Sold lots of grain finished beef for $5lb cut & wrapped so for it to be $7ish now isn’t bad at all imho
If you can find a farmer that will have a beef for you every year and it’s good quality grain finished. You take it and pay the bill. What’s wrong with the farmer making a extra bucks vs giving it to a big corporation

I’m sure you don’t turn down a pay rise if offered it
Didn’t you get the memo? Farmers are crooks.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t you get the memo? Farmers are crooks.
There's a difference between making money for the product your producing and gouging. If you can market some grain for 10 bucks a bushel, but you have to pay trucking, marketing fees, and I forget the term for the percentage of junk in unclean grain........you can send out a couple super b's at the ten bucks a bushel minus your fees. If I come over for one grain truck full, I'm happy to pay you the ten bucks, no fees, and even a bit more for the inconvenience of pulling grain the auger out for a smaller load.......but not double the price.

johnny cash

Reaction score
The farmers arent crooks the butcher shop make a crap load off the cut and wrapping, same as buying bread at over $4.00 a loaf talk about a hose job for garbage sponge bread, groceries stores are rip off artists at best

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any one that thinks a farmer is a gouger or makes to much has zero idea on what it takes to run a farm.
Grain or cattle.
Overhead cost and market risk are just crazy when you see the actual profit margin.
We were at a point of having to give up the day jobs we had and go all in.
Just could not see being that much in debt and an uncontrollable market that is marginally profitable.

Hats off to every farmer that feeds us.
Sidewalk dwellers have no idea.
Marketing after the farmer is where to look for reasoning.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last half beef I bought was in Feb. $5.30/lb cut and wrapped. Was grain finished. About $1/lb more than what I paid the year before without grain.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife just bought a ghetto bird that will be freshly processed from a local farm for $4.39/lb!!!! That’s crazy for a bird but she didn’t want to freeze one till D day

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife just bought a ghetto bird that will be freshly processed from a local farm for $4.39/lb!!!! That’s crazy for a bird but she didn’t want to freeze one till D day
Turkeys on sale at save on foods for 1.29 right now!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Turkeys on sale at save on foods for 1.29 right now!
start the car.gif

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you guys classify as grainfed how many days of grain does the steer get

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did all you can eat hay smorg and prob be like 2lb grain/day for 3-4 months

Just what we did Had screenings from cleaning grain to mill usually so

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's decent. You could do better if you bought from a farmer direct and arranged the butchering. Live butcher steer at 1400lbs is worth 1.43 a lbs at current prices from what I could find, so that live steer is worth 2000. Killing and waste disposal is 2-300? Should dress out around 880 hanging weight at .80 lbs is around 700 for cut and wrap.

So best case scenario if you can get a farmer to sell you a live beef is having it in your freezer for around 3000. Farmer is making an extra couple hundred a side for arranging things so I'd say that's pretty fair. Not like the people around d here charging 6 bucks a lbs hanging weight plus cut and wrap! Would be $3000 for your side of beef here
Much easier way… find local butcher get quote on cut wrap for a half or whole, they do it all the time. Our local butcher was $4.50 cut wrap last fall. Not too many real farmers will be thrilled to deal with one steer for you. Then you don’t have to get worried when you get get 350lbs from a 750lb live weight side thinking you got screwed.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local save on is sold out no more expected until maybe Sunday. Said they had 100+ this morning. 0 now
Wife had a hard time today finding a bird, she figured the toilet paper crowd is in action said one lady at coop had 2 in her cart, lol.

Top Bottom