Beacon

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you suggest for a good beacon looking to up grade mine?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up the T3 around Christmas. Practiced a bit with it. I like it just need to remember to start the search area in BP "Big Picture" mode.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Mammut Pulse is a great unit, but only useful if both the sending and receiving units are the Pulse models (also, quite a few other nonessential functions come with the pulse model)

For the money, I'd say the Mammut Element is a better choice.
Just my opinion.

With th that being said, if you are upgrading from an older single antenna analogue, any newer 3 antenna digital unit is light years ahead.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulse barryvox

This is a excellent transiever, but personally I don't think you need this one, the functions of this are little over most people's heads. This is basically a guide transiever. Just for your normal back country sledder, go with the Element. Exact same thing without the fancy functions you will never use.

• Thanks
Reactions: ZIG

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Pieps DSP pro, and agree with what the others are saying about the Mammut pulse, it's an excellent "Transciever" but geared more for guides or other professionals!

Drifter1

Reaction score
I purchased the mammut element last year as an upgrade from a tracker 1. The pieps performs well also. From my experience people seem to get a bit mixed up in practise searches with the display screen on the ortovox beacons. Just my 2 cents

• Thanks
Reactions: ZIG

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can sell you a Pieps sport or pro at a great price. PM me

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one likes the bca trackers? My dts works great buy its a single antenna. Thinking next year ill get the tracker 2 or 3

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tracker 2 for ease of use it is really simple to use in a panic situation the simpler the better just my opinion of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwight3566

Reaction score
Do not get something overly complicated, in an emergency situation the brain does not react like it should. Keep it simple, I love the BCA tracker products (either models)

Reaction score
The Mammut Pulse is a great unit, but only useful if both the sending and receiving units are the Pulse models (also, quite a few other nonessential functions come with the pulse model)

For the money, I'd say the Mammut Element is a better choice.
Just my opinion.

With th that being said, if you are upgrading from an older single antenna analogue, any newer 3 antenna digital unit is light years ahead.

"only useful if both the sending and receiving units are the Pulse models". That's incorrect.

matm8snopro

Reaction score
look for a beacon that is updatable via USB port, I just picked up Ortovox 3+, easy to use. My tracker one wore out, when testing the range, I was down to 30m, most new ones are around 60m from what I observed at ast1. The instructor mentioned the older beacons have less pulses per minute versus the new ones, it can overlap when an old beacon and new beacon are buried at the same time. I was skeptic, but I turned the new one and old tracker 1 to transit and witnessed it first hand. The overlap lasted about 45 seconds. I will be updating my new beacons software yearly with ortovox, has an extended 5 yr warranty because I registered the warranty For it on their website. Most of the new beacons are great, find one that you find easy to use and understand.

Drifter1

Reaction score
From the research i did, the tracker also came out on top along with the PIEPS and Mammut Element. Ultimately the best beacon is the one you know how to use, and practise with regularly and not just in the parking lot. Good probing skills and shovel technique are also helpful if its a full burial so take an AST course if your not sure how you stack up with these skills too.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ultimately the best beacon is the one you know how to use, and practise with regularly and not just in the parking lot. Good probing skills and shovel technique are also helpful if its a full burial so take an AST course if your not sure how you stack up with these skills too.

this is by far the best point made here so far!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ultimately the best beacon is the one you know how to use,

True that! There's still a few experienced guys around that can find a buried victim faster with an old analog than an amateur can with a new digital. I however.....am not that guy! :nono:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Love my tracker 3..... wife has the pieps dsp and they both performed very well in our AST1.... we can find each other every time.

Reactions: RXN

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love the BCA Tracker series of transceivers. Super fast, basic and very easy to use. Second for me would be the Pieps DSP. The Pulse is a great transceiver but as stated it is likely above many recreational users. Honestly I am not impressed with the Element (pulse's little brother), it has been very slow in our testing and seems very sensitive to electrical interference.

It has been said in this post, the best transceiver is the one you are most practiced with. This is the second most important safety tool to help in the backcountry, the first being your brain.....although both need regular practice to avoid developing bad habits.

Ride safe

97summit

Reaction score
Can some one tell me who sells the Tracker 3 in Edmonton other than MEC?

Thanks

Top Bottom