BC Mandatory Registration begins next week....FYI

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. Does this mean albertans should have registration on they're sleds when going to BC ? Or is this just a new cash grab from the BC folks, by giving them a way to collect more TAX?

You need whatever is required in your home jurisdiction....no different than your truck.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need whatever is required in your home jurisdiction....no different than your truck.
Gotcha. Just wondering because it has never been an issue in the past, and don't want to be having any issues if they are now going to be enforcing it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once it is mandatory, expect to be held to the same registration capacity when visiting BC. Like moyie says, it is no different. You will be required to provide proof of registration in BC if asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just great. Have 2 trail bikes paid $600.00 new in 1964 . Now one is worth $6000.00 What taxes will I be nail for?

I'd say you won't have any taxes as per the information in the first post.

"As described in the ORV Sale Tax Bulletin, If you purchased the ORV in BC, brought it into BC, or received an ORV as a gift, on or after July 1, 2010 and did not pay tax, you will be required to pay the applicable sales tax at the time of registration, unless a specific exemption applies. If the ORV was purchased prior to July 1, 2010, the ORV can be registered under the ORV Act without sales tax documentation."

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta re-read my post. That statement had nothing to do with thieves registering their sleds. That would be like expecting thieves to register a stolen car. "Going to be hard to register a stolen sled, and will make buyers do a search prior to purchase." This statement means that people will need to do their homework BEFORE they buy, otherwise when they go to register it, it will come up in the system as stolen.
Not sure about that as a guy I know here had a boat and trailer he purchased from dealer in Kelowna.Both went thru the registration process without issue. A year later and it turns out it was a stolen unit and he is out 40K.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am attending a meeting this weekend with the head honcho of the ORV Act and I will print this thread out and ask a few questions. It is the typical BC government faux pas.

For those of us living near the border it really reeks of a tax grab (yes, we live in BC and should pay our way but doo you volunteer any more tax that you have to?????) as we buy our sleds in Alberta and nobody has really given a rat's ass about collecting the taxes for many years now. As for the enforcement, there is no way they will enforce this with the people on the ground right now. They are already stretched to over maximum.

I just might have to register the sled in the name of Fernie Snow with a Lethbridge address.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am attending a meeting this weekend with the head honcho of the ORV Act and I will print this thread out and ask a few questions. It is the typical BC government faux pas.

For those of us living near the border it really reeks of a tax grab (yes, we live in BC and should pay our way but doo you volunteer any more tax that you have to?????) as we buy our sleds in Alberta and nobody has really given a rat's ass about collecting the taxes for many years now. As for the enforcement, there is no way they will enforce this with the people on the ground right now. They are already stretched to over maximum.

I just might have to register the sled in the name of Fernie Snow with a Lethbridge address.
Lol I remember when the Elk Valley had a petition going to join Alberta cause the rest of BC ignored them.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry I can't be there this weekend Doug. Ask him this for me: I have a quad I bought new in 2008 from a BC dealer and payed the taxes. Since then I've misplaced all the paperwork, and the dealer is no longer around after his building burned to the ground including all his records. I'm not gonna pay friggin tax again on it. How do I register?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sorry I can't be there this weekend Doug. Ask him this for me: I have a quad I bought new in 2008 from a BC dealer and payed the taxes. Since then I've misplaced all the paperwork, and the dealer is no longer around after his building burned to the ground including all his records. I'm not gonna pay friggin tax again on it. How do I register?

I will ask but take a second and read the post above by retiredpop

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will ask but take a second and read the post above by retiredpop

Yup, did that. Problem is....it's incomplete. Here's what it really says:

"If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at time of registration. Instead you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST."

But I payed the PST, and can't find the paperwork, and the dealer is gone.

Here's what Bulletin PST 308 says:

"Documentation and Payment of PST.
If you pay PST to the ministry before registration, when you register the vehicle you will need to provide evidence that the PST was paid. Otherwise, ICBC must collect the PST from you."

Well, I can't prove I payed it.....and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay it again!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

"If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at time of registration. Instead you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST."

If you pay PST to the ministry before registration, when you register the vehicle you will need to provide evidence that the PST was paid. Otherwise, ICBC must collect the PST from you."

You are right on top of detail! I will ask the question as well as a few others.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Find a picture or something, any document that can be substantiated, that is dated before July 1, 2010, proving that you indeed had possession of the unit prior to the July 1, 2010 date. Maybe an insurance slip if you insured it, or maybe you added it to your house insurance? Did you have it serviced anywhere in that 2 yrs, buy any ATV specific parts for it or buy any aftermarket parts for it? Any of these receipts or bank records would be able to demonstrate that you had possession prior 2010. Present this to them and see what they say, with enough evidence you would have a solid case.

Call the bank and get a copy of your bank statement from the time when you purchased it, showing the amount you paid for the unit and how much the PST would have been. If you financed it through a bank or another institution, like the manufacturer on a plan, there should be a copy of the bill of sale in someone's records. if you paid cash you should be able to demonstrate how much you paid via a withdrawl slip. Even if you only get a copy of the bill of sale from the purchase price you can show ICBC how much you paid total and therefore would be able to demonstrate the difference between the 2 prices is the taxes.

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By doing that it will make an honest person look like a thief in the eyes of the law.

Im not happy about paying tax , but if it makes it less desirable to steal my machines , I'm ok with that.

It sucked having both of ours stolen this past summer

geo

Reaction score
I paid my tax, registered and got my decal and have done that for more than 20 yrs in BC. Have you? Now I need a plate?
Plates don't stop a thief, the registry is already there for the police if they or you care to use it. They are not starting anything new here in BC.
My sled (or my quad, or my bike) is never going to be legal for road use in the eyes of the government and I will never need to use a road anyway. That should be my decision anyway IMO.
Plates won't stop abusers either. Will they?
I'm still chuckling about having to become a captain to go fishing in my 10.5 ft electric motored car topper lol.

So, what is this new system supposed to benefit? Call me a rebel lol, but to me it looks like a backslapping agreement between user group reps and gov. reps at tax payer funded meetings.

The few that represent the many lol.
The non-motorized user group reps feel they have gained a bit of control in our sport. At least we have to pay a bit more to play. I wonder if they would support mandatory numbered bibs and the fee that comes with them for skiers or birdwatchers while on Crown Land. I'm sure they smiled and shook our hands though.
The motorized user group reps feel they have more security and strength with numbers. But, until we organize into the national, even international levels, we will always be a minority. How may ships do Greenpeace own? Who funds those ships?? Lol.
The enforcement reps feel they have a bit more power. They definitely have a reason to request more officers now. Will that take care of any major issues you can think of?
The gov.reps get a raise because they successfully completed their mandate of adding PERCIEVED revenue through consensus. As a taxpayer, I'm pretty sure the small fee wlll not cover the cost of administration, let alone enforcement, and will continue to rise but never quite catch up.

Double useless whammy to me now lol.

No one has ever asked me for my decal before. No one has ever asked me for my captains licence yet either. Both of them have been useless and IMO the fees collected should have been donated to the food bank for better use of my money.
I know you Albertans are not effected yet but,,, with added funding for enforcement, gov. mediators looking for a raise, co-ordinated resource management team meetings growing and just people in general who feel they represent a majority, it won't be long until a sleddin' visa will be thrown out there to come into this great province of BC.
All happening under the premise of consensus of user groups lol.

You can't sled in NY without a NY trail fee paid. It's high enough to cover enforcement too.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm? alberta already enforces registration of OHV.

With BC enforcing registration we will be required to show our registration, which is an annual fee, not a one time fee.

We already pay more tax to sled in bc, higher fuel prices, booze costs more, pretty much everything costs more to enjoy sledding in BC. I don't think people will complain much other than the guys who don't bother registering their sleds in AB and get a ticket when it becomes mandatory.

Maybe the clubs should be relaying that info when people but trail passes to help educate the people from out of province as they seem to be supportive of this new program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
..... I know you Albertans are not effected yet but,,, with added funding for enforcement, gov. mediators looking for a raise, co-ordinated resource management team meetings growing and just people in general who feel they represent a majority, it won't be long until a sleddin' visa will be thrown out there to come into this great province of BC....

Uhhhh? Say what? Albertans pay an ANNUAL registration fee.....not a one time fee like BC is getting....and its more than the BC fee, just FYI. Basically the registration fee is the sledding visa you are talking about. Out of province users will need to demonstrate that they have proper registration in their home province. and yes, I've been asked for my proof of registration.

the PST thing I can understand the anger and frustration, and I feel for anyone who has to pay it.

geo

Reaction score
What I was inferring to was a more US type system. Your Alberta yearly reg. doesn't put a dime in BC's pocket. This is a new set of teeth for BC. and has nothing to do with Alberta or fees collected there. Maybe they want some more lol.
You wanna send some of your oil through our province??? Lol.

Down there you may need to pay to ride in one state, then pay and sticky your sled in the next too. Depends on the state laws (legislation) brought in when shown the need for revenue to support enforcement.

This is new open door legislation has a hidden agenda (not very hidden though). It changes an unbroken system with a new one using BS reasons of something is broke. Why? More safety, security, funds to enhance your experience???
It's a new way to generate revenue while using Crown land in BC. They had to change the law first. Then a plate with insurance requirements (ICBC lol). Then a need and a team to enforce with weapons (fines and special fees). Then it will be RENT (utilities included).

I'd like to say too I'm a Canadian and happy lol but,,, this is not about universal health care, safe streets, sound infra-structure or happy teachers. Oh well eh!

How do you make a Kingdom and afford a solid gold toilet? First you hire an army, then you collect tax.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By doing that it will make an honest person look like a thief in the eyes of the law.

Im not happy about paying tax , but if it makes it less desirable to steal my machines , I'm ok with that.

It sucked having both of ours stolen this past summer

You mean like how registration combats auto theft?

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll just be another fly in the ointment with this. I believe in registration, no, it doesn't stop theft of the ORV but it's easier to trace back to the owner if its found. As mentioned, it also makes it harder for the dirtbags that stole it to try and sell it, although it will probably be bought by another dirtbag who doesn't care anyways. Those that spout off about "try to catch me" with respect to Officers who try to check you, really? We did many snowmobile checks when I was stationed in Enderby, we didn't hit the hills, we stayed in the parking lot! Why the hell would I try to chase you on the hill on my 1968 Elan when compared to what your operating. Just remember that the Officers doing the enforcement are only the messengers, not the "creators" of the laws or rules. With respect to the extra taxes, suck it up! The next time you need major surgery because you resisted arrest, its free, that's from our taxes. When some tickturd drug dealer that ruined a thousand lives gets pen time, that's from our taxes. I know from experience that those that always flaunt the law will continue to do so, and to try and reason with such a person on a forum is useless, they never will get it. I'm a huge believer in ones principals but just remember that our Gov't has bottomless pockets and endless time to fight these battles, something that most of us don't. I'm not saying to bend over and take it up the waazooo for everything but I'm certainly not going to ruin my sledding day over a plate (which by the way must be visible and registration must be produced) or complain about having to pay tax now because I beat it when I bought my sled or quad in Alberta. Not to state a over stated statement but, it is what it is......Sherm

Top Bottom