BC Mandatory Registration begins next week....FYI

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is absolutely criminal that they can charge PST on a used vehicle. I known BC isn't the only province doing it but it is ridiculous.

I am surprised they don't charge tax on everything sold on kijiji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is absolutely criminal that they can charge PST on a used vehicle. I known BC isn't the only province doing it but it is ridiculous.

I am surprised they don't charge tax on everything sold on kijiji.

I'm sure the liberal lawyers are working on this :mad:

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just great. Have 2 trail bikes paid $600.00 new in 1964 . Now one is worth $6000.00 What taxes will I be nail for?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is another reason I don't ride quartz or gorman ...

Sssoooooo ... now I need to register my honda trikes? that will be interesting ... god only knows who's names they are in ...

You just have to fill out the MV1484 form.

In order to register, a person must demonstrate they are the legitimate owner of the vehicle. One of the following is required:

• A New Vehicle Information Statement or a Certificate of Origin if purchased new, but never registered previously;
  • A Bill of Sale

• A Transfer Tax Form (APV9T) signed by seller – Transfer Tax forms are widely available from any Autoplan broker;
  • a completed B. C. Consumer Taxation Branch Gift of Vehicle Form (FIN 319);
  • For ORVs imported from the U.S., a Title Certificate; Form 1 or B15 Accounting Document;

• For ORV’s imported into B.C. from another Canadian jurisdiction, the previous registration documents; OR

In the absence of the above, a sworn statutory declaration (MV1484) will be required with information about how the person came into possession of the off road vehicle and attempts to get the one or more of the other documentation as described above.

I know what this looks like to everyone and charging of the fee, but its only a one time thing, we pay annually in AB. However lets look at it another way - we scream bloody murder every time we have a thread on here about stolen sleds, this is one way that its going to combat rampant sled theft. Going to be hard to register a stolen sled, and will make buyers do a search prior to purchase. I feel for you on the taxes on used purchases, not sure what is up with the backdating it 4 yrs. Time to elect new governance?

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just have to fill out the MV1484 form.

In order to register, a person must demonstrate they are the legitimate owner of the vehicle. One of the following is required:

• A New Vehicle Information Statement or a Certificate of Origin if purchased new, but never registered previously;
  • A Bill of Sale

• A Transfer Tax Form (APV9T) signed by seller – Transfer Tax forms are widely available from any Autoplan broker;
  • a completed B. C. Consumer Taxation Branch Gift of Vehicle Form (FIN 319);
  • For ORVs imported from the U.S., a Title Certificate; Form 1 or B15 Accounting Document;

• For ORV’s imported into B.C. from another Canadian jurisdiction, the previous registration documents; OR

In the absence of the above, a sworn statutory declaration (MV1484) will be required with information about how the person came into possession of the off road vehicle and attempts to get the one or more of the other documentation as described above.

I know what this looks like to everyone and charging of the fee, but its only a one time thing, we pay annually in AB. However lets look at it another way - we scream bloody murder every time we have a thread on here about stolen sleds, this is one way that its going to combat rampant sled theft. Going to be hard to register a stolen sled, and will make buyers do a search prior to purchase. I feel for you on the taxes on used purchases, not sure what is up with the backdating it 4 yrs. Time to elect new governance?
Thieves don't register their stolen sleds.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newfoundland you have to pay taxes on everything you buy used when you go register it and it's like 15 % , been that way for years

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it looks like there will have been a lot of $1 parts machine bought this yr. lol
Ya you can buy it for a dollar but Pretty sure they look up the book value and still charge you pst on what that is

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So can the Alberta riders that have places in BC and belong to a club register their sleds and buy insurance through the BCSA dael?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thieves don't register their stolen sleds.

You gotta re-read my post. That statement had nothing to do with thieves registering their sleds. That would be like expecting thieves to register a stolen car. "Going to be hard to register a stolen sled, and will make buyers do a search prior to purchase." This statement means that people will need to do their homework BEFORE they buy, otherwise when they go to register it, it will come up in the system as stolen. Then the RCMP come and take it and the sledless buyer has gotta go find the greasy dude he gave his money too. With the new system, you call up the registry and say "here's the VIN", they tell you if its stolen or not. Makes selling a sled a little bit more legit and makes life easier for everyone as there will be less of a market for stolen sleds.

No more buying a brand new sled off the back of a truck at midnight for $2500. I mean - come on, you know something aint right......but guys are still doing it for a cheap sled...and this creates a market for other people to go and take what doesn't belong to them. People will probably still try this but more likelihood that this will cut down on non-legit buyers and sellers as there is more risk now to both parties. Most people will hopefully start doing searches before they hand over the $$$ and some sellers now risk being "searched" before selling and could be exposed.

Something to think about for the guys that think this would only be an "on the hill" enforcement program. With the registration program, the cops can probably ask you for registration in a traffic checkstop, then they just run the VIN. If its bad, they'll pull it off your truck. Know a couple guys here in AB that went thru a checkstop and the cops asked to see the sled registrations (sleds weren't stolen and all paperwork was good - point is they were asked by the cops for the sled papers when driving the truck). You might not need to be riding your sled for them to ask to see your registration, once they see its on your sled deck or open deck trailer (plain view of the officer).

Rogarian One

Reaction score
Hate the sticker! My sled is registered i just never put that ugly sticker on the sled. Keep it under the seat incase they ask. Was pulled over couple years ago told me i needed to carry my registrations papers on me as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just great. Have 2 trail bikes paid $600.00 new in 1964 . Now one is worth $6000.00 What taxes will I be nail for?

It is whatever the fair market value is. You won't find a market value on those so a week ahead of time you create a few kijiji adds showing them for $400-500. No phone numbers, just email addresses.

I am not saying this works. I am not saying this has been done before to increase the value of a sled for insurance purposes. I am just saying, well, just saying.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most rural communities in BC don't have enough cops and conservation officers to enforce the program anyways.

Based upon the conversation we had with one anyhow, that was the main topic.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. Does this mean albertans should have registration on they're sleds when going to BC ? Or is this just a new cash grab from the BC folks, by giving them a way to collect more TAX?

Top Bottom