bank hackers

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a heads up to all you peeps to keep your computer virus protection up to date. My wife's laptop was infected by the trojan horse virus last week. I worked on removing all the components last Wed until 12:00 AM then decided to finish it off the next day. But sledding took precedent. Anyway, her computer was hacked via the virus and they got into our personal bank account and cleaned us out! Bank will not do anything until we file a police report. Typical fashion after 3 msgs with the cops they finally called today and gave us a file # to give to the bank but said they dont have the resources to pursue this....... but they did stop me two weeks ago and gave me a warning for my tinted windows. We also have to prove that we were not the ones who made the transaction. The funds were sent to a Visa card. Could take weeks before we see our money provided that they are satisfied that we did not do this.

I am going to switch my wife's computer to a MAC. I know they are not bullet proof but had my for 3 years now and no issues.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that sucks. But I though most banks guarantee your money if you have a issue with their online banking? I'd think they'd be able to reserve the transaction fairly easy.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't imagine that being much fun at all. A good tip also is to ensure your passwords are 'strong', changed often, and not written down or stored electronically in plain text anywhere. And make sure your browsers aren't storing passwords or auto-logging in for you. The convenience just isn't worth it IMO. It's unfortunate too that the scumbags that do this kinda stuff get away so easily. They should be made examples of regardless of where they are in the world.

Hope it all works out for you though and you get to see your money again!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the banks will only reimburse you if you can prove that a criminal activity happened. Cops advised us today (and bank agreed) that we have to take the computer to a shop and provide a confirmation that our computer has been compromised. So, tomorrow my wife is taking her computer in. From there they will able to see what activity has been taking place via IP addresses etc etc. (I am computer savvy but this is way beyond my ability).

As for passwords etc, yes mathruiz you are correct but from what we were told these hackers basically can mirror your activity and if you logged in to your account they are able to follow the key board functions you just did. Anyway, apparently this type of activity is not as rare as one would think.

Bottom line although a pain in the a$$ I am confident that we will get our money back.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well they just use a RAT (Remote Access Trojan) or make your computer a bot in their botnet then they log all your keystrokes with a key logger. I use KeyScrambler it encrypts all my keystrokes from the keyboard to my web browser and is free for just that use or you can get the paid version and it will encrypt your keystrokes into quite a few programs like email, simply accounting, word, excel etc. Not only does it protect against software key loggers but hardware too. I would defiantly recommend using this program its hassle free and works well. For password storage I use lastpass which encrypts all passwords in a vault but still gives you the ease of remembering all your passwords.

QFX Software - Anti-Keylogging Software and More
https://lastpass.com/

Last edited:

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for passwords etc, yes mathruiz you are correct but from what we were told these hackers basically can mirror your activity and if you logged in to your account they are able to follow the key board functions you just did. Anyway, apparently this type of activity is not as rare as one would think.

Yes, as szprod mentioned, keyloggers can track and record everything. I personally like to keep my computer relatively clean with a minimal amount of programs and processes/services running all the time. I monitor this quite closely on both my windows and mac platforms on a regular basis. At a first glance the normal processes running may seem strange, but once you get use to what is what and what is normal, unfamiliar processes like a keylogger or trojan would be using will stick out like a sore thumb before they are able to cause too much damage hopefully. Windows task manager or 'top' in OSX/Linux/Unix will show you most of what you need.

Software such as key stroke scramblers and password storage encryption are definitely a good idea I would agree. However, you are then relying on more software to protect your privacy - which software do you trust and which do you not?

Having a 'feel' for how a certain computer operates or performs is important too - just as it is for a vehicle or sled or whatever. With time they gradually slow down and maybe don't perform quite like new, but more sudden changes in performance, or unusual behavior at times, should be looked at more in depth.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy!! My other half is super computer savvy and the other day we received a call from "microsoft security dept" (no such dept exists, not one that makes house calls anyway) and they wanted him to go o his computer and give them remote access because he had a very serious virus they needed to remove. Needless to say he played dumb and said that it wasn't his computer and he would get the owner to call them back and asked for a phone number. They hung up on him. There are numerous scams out there that some people would fall for.

Hope you recover ur cash eclipse!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy!! My other half is super computer savvy and the other day we received a call from "microsoft security dept" (no such dept exists, not one that makes house calls anyway) and they wanted him to go o his computer and give them remote access because he had a very serious virus they needed to remove. Needless to say he played dumb and said that it wasn't his computer and he would get the owner to call them back and asked for a phone number. They hung up on him. There are numerous scams out there that some people would fall for.

Hope you recover ur cash eclipse!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

We have received that call several times as well then I tell them that is impossible as I have a MAC and then all I hear is...... click (hung up).

whiteline

Reaction score
Friends of ours got hit last week, $4000 outta the bank account and $3000 off their credit card. Same deal, bot program that recorded the key strokes when they accessed those accounts. I think he said the money out of the bank all went onto pre-paid Visa cards. They were also working to get a police report done so the bank will help them out. Some serious stuff out there...

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the real problem is, half of those anti keylogging programs , are keyloggers themselves, crappy deal but true. Hard to find good software to protect these days, because so many of them are trojans themselves

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
hope this gets worked out. I find the amount of hackers and spammers unreal some days. This type of activity increases daily. There are several attempts daily to hack the server here, the firewall is a hardware type and it works well as well as the server is Linux based so it's more secure.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
happened too me last month when i was in Valemount, was out sledding and having a great time just to go back to hotel and cant even buy few beer ( boy was i pissed )
someone hacked my visa and completely drianed it...Thankfully the gent at hotel didnt charge me for beacon rental.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Safest way to protect your online banking is if the only line you are on is the one in the bank building itself.
I still do all my banking at the counter getting some of that service they charge me for every month.

• Recommends
Reactions: win

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that suks. we just got a 14.9 million dollar letternin the mail from some clown in europe stating our late cousin died and the money is going to us hahahahah dont actually have cousins out there

Top Bottom