Baltimore bridge collapse

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about that, i think they send the poorly made stuff on cargo ships over here, and then crash them into bridges.
🤣

I guess thats india now though Haha

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
So how did the ship turn right?
The boat already had momentum the direction it was going which was a right hand swing. Even if the anchor at the front did grab and didn’t drag the bottom the back was already coming around and as soon as the anchor did catch it would make the back come around faster and further out forcing the bow to angle into the right……. Physics

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The boat already had momentum the direction it was going which was a right hand swing. Even if the anchor at the front did grab and didn’t drag the bottom the back was already coming around and as soon as the anchor did catch it would make the back come around faster and further out forcing the bow to angle into the right……. Physics
The rear would swing around if the anchor was dropped, but it didn't. The front end turned right, your physics is wrong

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
sorry I guess I said that wrong…. Watching the video I was commenting based on the boat coming towards the camera. Speaking based in the direction of the boat you can see at the end the back of the ship does start to swing to the left which is what would happen given the direction and momentum if the anchor caught. looking at it head on the back starts to swing to the right. again the anchor by the time it hits the bottom is under the boat and will pull the front of the boat sharply to the right (left if you're looking head on)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Seems like there's a lot of Chief Engineers and Master Mariners on here

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
No a chief engineer but spent most of my life growing up on boats. Regardless of the side the anchor is on the boats momentum will continue to swing the way it was moving. The anchor is close enough to the front it really wont pull one way or another. Plus I have a beard and a backwards hat

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how did the ship turn right?

There is a river that flows into that area close to where the ship lost power. Also the ship is in a channel, the closer the ship got to the shallow channel walls there will be a suction effect between the hull and the channel wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In theory yes, but I spent 31 years as an electrician in a pulp mill that was also designed for redundancy. Didn't stop me from spending more nights than I care to remember trying to get it running again after it failed.
Exactly....ch!t happens and even with multiple redundancies / contingencies there is still often something overlooked, undiscovered confluence of circumstances, etc that can bring the whole thing to a stop and often at the worst time.....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The manual wasn't written in Chinese.

The MV Dali was built in South Korea by Hyundai Heavy Industries. They've built something like 660 container ships so far.

well there is the problem, no one told the east Indian crew that? they thought it was Chinese!

Top Bottom