Back Country User Fee

Would you be willing to pay a "Back Country Access Fee"??

• Yes

Votes: 49 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll join a club, gladly. As will all of my riding group. What is there for ATV clubs in the Edmonton area?

The Lac Ste Anne ATV Club is the closest organized club I know, have our own trail system (Stanger Hills) and have been involved in building trails in and around the Alberta Beach area. However, while people don't seem to mind purchasing memberships, very few are willing to become actively involved and the club will possibly be in danger of folding soon. This club has a lot of potential and it would be a total shame if it were to fold.

In a couple months time, we'll be looking for a new president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and trail boss. While all of the current execs have full intention of staying involved, it is time to hand over the reins to a new group of committed people with fresh ideas and good energy.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
The Lac Ste Anne ATV Club is the closest organized club I know of and, have our own trail system (Stanger Hills) and have been involved in building trails in and around the Alberta Beach area. However, while people don't seem to mind purchasing memberships, very few are willing to become actively involved and the club will possibly be in danger of folding soon. This club has a lot of potential and it would be a total shame i it were to fold.

In a couple months time, we'll be looking for a new president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and trail boss. While all of the current execs have full intention of staying involved, it is time to hand over the reins to a new group of committed people with fresh ideas and good energy.
Hmmm. I love it out there, and ride Stanger often. I'm certainly on board to join.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checking is the Crowsnest pass is the meeting still on the go. And I heard rumors there was a snowstorm down there.

Don

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW,surprised only 51% on our poll would pay a fee for back country use ! Thought we would behind this a lot more than that.....

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I voted yes, but as mentioned before it is a MUST that the funds get used towards what they are intended for.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checking is the Crowsnest pass is the meeting still on the go. And I heard rumors there was a snowstorm down there.

Don

They're going to broadcast it live to a meeting in Wetaskiwin.

OHV Stakeholder Meeting
February 7[SUP]th[/SUP], 7:00PM at Hi-Line Polaris Wetaskiwin, Conference Room

Subject: Alberta Government’s draft amendment to BAN OHV in the Castle Area.

On January 20[SUP]th[/SUP], the Alberta Government announced it’s draft with intention to BAN all OHV access (Summer & Winter) to all trails & backroads including the 1300km presently maintained by local clubs in the Castle area. The Crowsnest Pass Quad Squad, Hillcrest Fish and Game, and many users, stakeholders and associations in Alberta - are all concerned about this proposed draft management plan which proposes to phase out OHV use.

Castle, represents 1 of the 5 large major areas for OHV trail riding in Alberta. This Alberta Government, put forth an amendment draft to the 2014 South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, and seemingly without balanced stakeholder consultation and economic impact study performed to date – has reversed the inclusion of OHV access from the original SSRP.

As this amendment follows the intentions of the numerous Environmental Lobby Groups pushing for banning of OHV along the Rocky Mountains, we believe that we need to stand together to support Responsible OHV use and trails to prevent the loss of our recreation in these areas.

We are hosting an OHV Stakeholder Meeting, in which we will be providing:

1. Background Presentation and Information details on this issue.
  2. Participate in the Live broadcast of the QuadSquad Town Hall meeting. (see attached)
  3. Take your input, concerns and recommendations on these issues to send a strong message to the Government requesting consultation with the stakeholders and affected users. We will use your input to provide a consolidated list to send to the Alberta Government.
  4. Contact information & Petition information to have your voice heard.

We believe that the Government has not given this topic proper allowances for input into the draft management plan, allowing only 60 days to do so which means that this draft may come into the actual plan on March 20th, 2017. We need to act quickly to have our voices heard.

We have chairs for 60, room for 100. Please bring a foldup chair if coming in groups. To ensure room, please RSVP to one of us below, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Meeting will start at 7pm sharp, with Live broadcast beginning at 7:30pm. Use side door if arriving after 7.00pm. Meeting Address: Hi-line Polaris 4715-39 Ave, Wetaskiwin.

Hope to see you on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] !

Regards
Garett Schmidt

Garett Schmidt – gschmidt@cw-industrial.com 780 690 0372
Jerry Mohr – centralsledsales@telus.net 780 678 5699
Marco Vanderburg – marcov@hilinecnh.com 780 361 6603
News Links & Info to read:
Queen of the Castle - Crowsnest Pass Herald - Anna Kroupina
http://www.aohva.com/pdf/AOHVA-Media-Release-Jan-26,-2017-.pdf

http://www.cohv.ca/press-releases/c...t-activities-involving-atvs-and-rovs-in-2015/
https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have no problem paying $100 for a yearly pass, but I'd like to see a family pass for $250, for up to say a family of 4 or 5. Keep it affordable for everyone.
There should also be a cost for equine users, back country users etc. The trails they use exclusively for themselves cost money to maintain as well.
Also, a percentage should be set aside for enforcement. Let's face it, it's the 5% of users that tear everything up, and leave garbage everywhere that make all of us look bad.

Good Idea, as a family that rides ATV's, sleds and horse's, I've see damage and crap left from them all....I also agree it's a small percentage of users in all the groups that cause the damage and the problems facing the rest....

I would not have a problem paying $100 a year and like the family pass idea....

jerry

Reaction score
i would also agree to a user fee but also used in that area also mr radke should clean up his area before he start throwing stones his area at henderson flats is a real mess

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The question on a trail user fee would still need looking at as the idea plays out.

Snowmobile site claims there are about 30.000 registered sleds out of the Alberta Province estimation of 144.000 units in total. I don't have any idea why the majority of snowmobiles don't have registration.

The tally of 145.000 ATVs / UTV's in 2015 if I recall that "could" be up to 165.000 ish units "in todays year."

So ruffly 195.000 units in total.
$54.45 for each unit = $10.617.750 million.

Last 10 years ruffly works out to $70 too $90 million with not very much put back too "trails" them selves.

Yes that some funds went too the few clubs that are here in Alberta,,, but no where near 10 too 12% "give or take."

If we head too the $100 from the get go, it "could" allow the powers too be too see this as free take that might not benefit us. $100 million per year from hard working Albertans.

One can only imagine that power sports registration is soon too increase as well over the next few year.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it "might" be wize too tap it cool from the get go.... "Don't Know....

Only a thought in tuff times

Don

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another topic of discussion that that came up around a camp fire, that may or may not have involved beer or tea, was for those of us that have camped in the Rig Street area have all noticed the "beware of sasquatch" signs that have been put up in the camp spots. Well if there was a number attatched to the sign that designated which campspot it was, you would have to preregister to be in that spot for your alotted time. whether it be a weekend or 2 week maximum.
Enforcement could be done by fish and wildlife or possibly summer employment people. This way you have to pay a fee to use the campspot and if there is garbage left behind it could be traced back to who ever last used the spot.
A random fly over could tell how many campers are in the area and at what spots.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On January 20th, the Alberta Government announced it’s draft with intention to BAN all OHV access (Summer & Winter) to all trails & backroads including the 1300km presently maintained by local clubs in the Castle area. The Crowsnest Pass Quad Squad, Hillcrest Fish and Game, and many users, stakeholders and associations in Alberta - are all concerned about this proposed draft management plan which proposes to phase out OHV use.

Castle, represents 1 of the 5 large major areas for OHV trail riding in Alberta. This Alberta Government, put forth an amendment draft to the 2014 South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, and seemingly without balanced stakeholder consultation and economic impact study performed to date – has reversed the inclusion of OHV access from the original SSRP.

As this amendment follows the intentions of the numerous Environmental Lobby Groups pushing for banning of OHV along the Rocky Mountains, we believe that we need to stand together to support Responsible OHV use and trails to prevent the loss of our recreation in these areas.

We are hosting an OHV Stakeholder Meeting, in which we will be providing:

Background Presentation and Information details on this issue.
Participate in the Live broadcast of the QuadSquad Town Hall meeting. (see attached)
Take your input, concerns and recommendations on these issues to send a strong message to the Government requesting consultation with the stakeholders and affected users. We will use your input to provide a consolidated list to send to the Alberta Government.
Contact information & Petition information to have your voice heard.

We believe that the Government has not given this topic proper allowances for input into the draft management plan, allowing only 60 days to do so which means that this draft may come into the actual plan on March 20th, 2017. We need to act quickly to have our voices heard.

We have chairs for 60, room for 100. Please bring a foldup chair if coming in groups. To ensure room, please RSVP to one of us below, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Meeting will start at 7pm sharp, with Live broadcast beginning at 7:30pm. Use side door if arriving after 7.00pm. Meeting Address: Hi-line Polaris 4715-39 Ave, Wetaskiwin.

Hope to see you on the 7th !

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can not make it unfortunately , but have had some good conversation with people in the know closer to home & our riding area .

It appears the word is getting out , a lot of people were not aware of this and are now only starting to realize the dangerous precedent this sets ...

It's nice to see some of the opposition members get involved as well ...
Locally , the NDP are not on our side , that I can attest to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another topic of discussion that that came up around a camp fire, that may or may not have involved beer or tea, was for those of us that have camped in the Rig Street area have all noticed the "beware of sasquatch" signs that have been put up in the camp spots. Well if there was a number attatched to the sign that designated which campspot it was, you would have to preregister to be in that spot for your alotted time. whether it be a weekend or 2 week maximum.
Enforcement could be done by fish and wildlife or possibly summer employment people. This way you have to pay a fee to use the campspot and if there is garbage left behind it could be traced back to who ever last used the spot.
A random fly over could tell how many campers are in the area and at what spots.

That might be a thought for some of the higher traffic spots, but it does kinda defeat "randomness." True, a lot of people like to keep returning to the same spots, but I kinda like to just head out and look for a place to setup. Sometimes I don't even know which direction I'm heading until I hit the highway since I usually just follow the nice weather.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I pay enough taxes and fees as it is, no thanks to another. Why not use the OHV registration monies and some of the gasoline
tax?

Couldn't have said it better myself. EXACTELY, use our registration money ( for once) that we have all paid into forever and never have seen any benefit to that money. We OHV owners have sat idle and quiet for way to long.

plus the fuel tax supposedly pays for road maintenance, well where is our portion of road maintenance when we ride our sleds and quads???

We are over taxed as it is and there is no need to pay another.

We pay 65.00 a person for a whole years worth of National parks use but in this case we'll pay 100 for some dirt trail maintenance and bridges and the ability to random camp in the back country? What's wrong with that picture?

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I could not agree more , we pay to much( for everything ) . The problem we have is the money we pay now goes into other areas .. Obviously .
We need a deal where the funds would be 100% put aside for intended use only .. Not to supplement the NDPs shortfalls !

Well I don't like paying another fee / the choice is going to be come up with a fair plan where EVERY user pays / or they just shut the western edge of the province down .

Honestly .. With a good plan that was already put forth years ago ...
I still don't think our odds are that great !

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we need a petition to send AEP minister. S. Philips

Last edited:
Top Bottom