Back Country User Fee

Would you be willing to pay a "Back Country Access Fee"??

• Yes

Votes: 49 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lem, do you know if that presentation is publicly available?

I will have a copy e mailed to me tomorrow

I will get it to you as well

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a rally in lethbridge this saturday! My MLA is going to be there! I would assume the press also!. E-mail will work, just not same impact as postal letter,
He says he will read my letter in legislature whoo hoo definitely will effect my livelihood.

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO legislation of this nature, or a "fee" that the government will control is a bad idea. Government has gotten too large and out of control, there will be an abuse of power and most of the funds will be spent on admin. Don't believe me looks at government costs on anything else.

Not only is giving government control over this a bad idea, it also allows for responsibility to be pushed onto the government from irresponsible people. "why would i pick up garbage i pay the fee for that, or i'm doing this because i pay for it"

We as a society have turned into a bunch of babysitters. Is there a responsibility to take care in the back country? yes. Would a volunteer program or trail club do a better job than the government yes. Bureaucrats dont care about what ever they are assigned, they only care about their pay check. These are not the people that should be taking care of the environment. Besides the facts of involving government, we can't charge people for wanting to enjoy the outdoors, there is already a huge movement of people taking couches over the outdoors.

Crownland is land owned by the public not the government. The government is supposed to work for us and not restrict us. Is there people out there who make poor choices and destroy land and litter? Yes, but only education (not in a classroom sense either), with help curb this. If you see it happen say something, unless we in the motorsports community police ourselves, no one will take us seriously. We'll all be seen as the yahoos who cause these issues in the first place.

I guess what I'm trying to say is legislation is not going to fix anything, the only thing that will fix it and help protect these fragile environments is us spreading the word. Kinda like avalanche education. The last thing we need is another fee. Look at Ontario, their government squandered 70 million dollars of "conservation money" brought in from hunting tag purchases and licenses and not a cent was spend on conservation, it was all spent on general province spending. This will be another money grab, like off road registration. Stop bankrupting the middle class.

/rant I will end with this, I cant BELIEVE some people are encouraging this. You want to make a difference, spend the money, volunteer but dont make it mandatory. Do you know how many people barely scrape by, by a used quad, want to have some fun and are slapped with more fees. That's wrong.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO legislation of this nature, or a "fee" that the government will control is a bad idea. Government has gotten too large and out of control, there will be an abuse of power and most of the funds will be spent on admin. Don't believe me looks at government costs on anything else.

Not only is giving government control over this a bad idea, it also allows for responsibility to be pushed onto the government from irresponsible people. "why would i pick up garbage i pay the fee for that, or i'm doing this because i pay for it"

We as a society have turned into a bunch of babysitters. Is there a responsibility to take care in the back country? yes. Would a volunteer program or trail club do a better job than the government yes. Bureaucrats dont care about what ever they are assigned, they only care about their pay check. These are not the people that should be taking care of the environment. Besides the facts of involving government, we can't charge people for wanting to enjoy the outdoors, there is already a huge movement of people taking couches over the outdoors.

Crownland is land owned by the public not the government. The government is supposed to work for us and not restrict us. Is there people out there who make poor choices and destroy land and litter? Yes, but only education (not in a classroom sense either), with help curb this. If you see it happen say something, unless we in the motorsports community police ourselves, no one will take us seriously. We'll all be seen as the yahoos who cause these issues in the first place.

I guess what I'm trying to say is legislation is not going to fix anything, the only thing that will fix it and help protect these fragile environments is us spreading the word. Kinda like avalanche education. The last thing we need is another fee. Look at Ontario, their government squandered 70 million dollars of "conservation money" brought in from hunting tag purchases and licenses and not a cent was spend on conservation, it was all spent on general province spending. This will be another money grab, like off road registration. Stop bankrupting the middle class.

/rant I will end with this, I cant BELIEVE some people are encouraging this. You want to make a difference, spend the money, volunteer but dont make it mandatory. Do you know how many people barely scrape by, by a used quad, want to have some fun and are slapped with more fees. That's wrong.
i am not liking the fee either, and i do know a few who may have to give up quads, backcountry camping etc, just because of the money and also due to not being able to hike into the backcountry.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
i am not liking the fee either, and i do know a few who may have to give up quads, backcountry camping etc, just because of the money and also due to not being able to hike into the backcountry.
They'd have to give up quads due to a $100 user fee? Come on!! That's like 2 weekends riding worth of fuel. Get real!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They'd have to give up quads due to a $100 user fee? Come on!! That's like 2 weekends riding worth of fuel. Get real!

No but the way things are going maybe, What with all the other expenses etc! To be honest there is no way to know where anyone sits, As it stands there is no set fee or any idea what this government will do, or how far this ban will go. I'm thinking it may be better to seek no fees and hope for minimal. Makes little sense to me to suggest fee, which could end up higher? No idea? My taxes and registration fees already pay for this, Way i feel, and what i seen?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No Kidding ... If it's that close .... Take up horseshoes .....or butterfly collecting .
Most people will burn more than that getting the quad to the area and back .

I like the idea of a pay for use fora number of reasons :
* $$ to fix & maintain trails.
* More self policing ,you can report someone who is not paying for use .
*Keeps party goers out .( big fines with out a permit)
And most people respect things more when they pay for it out of there own pocket , as apposed to zero financial commitment .
IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Your taxes and registration do NOT pay for back country access. Do NOT pay for trail development or maintenance. They pay for that stupid license plate and the goofy sticker you have to put on it every year. And the rest goes into general revenue.

Which is why, if there is a fee, it MUST be used towards back country access, trails, etc ONLY.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your taxes and registration do NOT pay for back country access. Do NOT pay for trail development or maintenance. They pay for that stupid license plate and the goofy sticker you have to put on it every year. And the rest goes into general revenue.

Which is why, if there is a fee, it MUST be used towards back country access, trails, etc ONLY.

I agree. Back country fee for use.

Money goes into trail repairs , multi use sled and quad, bikes, etc.

Trail mapping.

If someone does not have a back country user sticker or permit it's easy to tell.

Cost really.

Sxs, trailer, truck, food , drinks, etc etc.

People pay 50.00 to 100.00 a year for a pass.

Reality bust an axle 350.00 1 ride.

It's cost money to play.

And that is a reality.

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a rally in lethbridge this saturday! My MLA is going to be there! I would assume the press also!. E-mail will work, just not same impact as postal letter,
He says he will read my letter in legislature whoo hoo definitely will effect my livelihood.

Lethbridge east Mla has informed me that Brian Jean will also attend, as he is in Lethbridge for another event already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honourable Shannon Phillips,
Minister of Environment and Parks
208 Legislature Building
10800 - 97 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5K 2B6
Date:

Subject: CASTLE PARKS DRAFT MANAGEMENT PLAN OBJECTION

Dear Honorable Minister,

As a Responsible OHV user for the last 20 years, I am writing to express my concern regarding your government’s proposed Castle Park Draft Management Plan. When Castle Parks was announced, this government had told myself and the public that OHV access would remain.

I believe than banning OHV access in Castle is unfair to the many responsible OHV users that use and enjoy this area. I enjoy many types of outdoor activities with my friends and family and we respect our environment, and feel that we are being excluded from the new Castle Parks and punished because we ride OHV’s. I do not believe excluding or banning an activity is ever a solution to any problem. Cars are still allowed on roads even with speeders and drunk drivers.

I wrote this letter to ask you to please keep OHV access in the Castle Parks as was originally stated would happen. I also would ask you to work and consult with the organizations, clubs and groups to manage these trails - and create a park for all Albertans to share and enjoy.

Can you please reply to me by email.

Sincerely,

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I HIGHLY recommend people BCC their emails to either Pat Stier (livingstone.macleod@assembly.ab.ca) or Brian Jean (fortmcmurray.conklin@assembly.ab.ca) of the Wildrose.

This will ENSURE their emails are delivered and read to the environment minister.

Val Senio
Royal LePage
780-405-9359

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have mind done towmorow.

As I mentioned about the pole, I picked neither at this point in time due too many factors that might need addressing first.

Cost of fee per person, is the cost for trail fees only or does it include camping, OHV, Snowmobiles, fishing, hunting and for those with range cattle on leases and industries that uses these units for work purposes.

Next thing is those with 2 too 4 kids or more, and what about older folks on a fixed income that enjoy the outdoors but live on the fringes of a fixed budget,,, my question is it fare too take away these folks enjoyment as neither of the above groups have or will take advantage of wrecking anything as they only get out a few times in the year.

Example: Joe hunter only uses his SxS in the fall to harvest a critter, harvest privilege ruffly $60, and with trail pass could add another $50 or $100 on top of that.

Having a trail fee too harvest game and go fishing adds another burden too crown land access.
So a logging or oil company would or most likely have to pay more too build a road into locations in comparison too recreation user fees.

Later on as time passes.
This is a question many of us ask !!!
What prevents these cost from becoming too expensive for the average person in 5, 10, or 20 years from now.
Lots of USA States have a Federal and National lobby groups in place that manage this access allowance and a fair price point too those who use these trails.

Just bringing up a few points before we start off in the supposable hundred dollar range.

A $100 bill too many middle age folks doesn't seem like much, but that is alot of coin to my older brother, my pops and many of my older pals that are 65 too 81 that still get out too ride when they can.

All of them watch their pennies as they did when they we're young raising their families, supporting the home, farm, business and bills well saving up for retirement.

The most many can afford now days is the great outdoors camping, fishing, 1 game tag and sight seeing by OHV as their knees are pooched, backs are worn-out, and heath in general is not as if they are 29 years young.

Yuppers, it sounds fair that we consider adding fees too these folks so they get shut down on their last stitch effort to enjoy the country they built and handed over to us.

Again, if this trail fee starts with us, what will the young folks say when they age too 50 or 60 years old too find out that these trail fees are $200 or $400 per year

Just saying as its kinda wise too think this threw for Snowmobiler, OHV, off road, and motorcycle groups Alike.

Kind of a be darned if we do and dammed if we don't.

Main thing for me is to join a OHV group in my area, and find out what they have in mind.

Don't get me wrong as I'm game for a trail net-work fee so long as crown land camping remains like the USA as I can afford it, but many, and I mean many of my old time pals up there in years can not afford this cost.

Shame too jump ahead on an idea like this with out bringing them on board is it not ???

Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom