avy in revy, its here!!!

Beaver

Reaction score
So glad u are OK.At the start of every season I have a few bad dreams about this.Just curios if he pulled the cord and it did not deploy or if he couldnt grab it?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow kerry, really glad to hear you guys are ok. I'm signing up for an avy course right away.

The Dove

Reaction score
What an experience! Thank goodness you all made it out. I am curuios to know how old is the avy bag that failed is and was the co2 cannister checked this year?

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post...as mentioned above it mades the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Glad everyone made it out OK...hope for a quick recover for your riding partner. If and when you can could you post the type of Avy bag that wouldn't deploy and if anyone has found out why...Thanks and safe riding to all.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here everyone was alright..... But on the other hand It was +7 in revelstoke the day that this incident happened!!! That being said, anyone with any kind of avy training knows that with a crap load of new snow and a big temperature increase,it is an automatic RED FLAG!!!!!!!Adjust you game plan and play it little safer!! Once again glad to here everyone was alright but lets think out there guys!! Have a safe winter everyone!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenkie

Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone survived - best wishes with the recovery fellas

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here you and your friends made it out alive! It not a good thing watching your buds get buried, watch my friend get bureid 2 years ago in Radium and it suck BAD!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our Father, who art on mountain
Himark be thy name
may snowfall come
on mountain peeks and lower valleys
give us this day blue bird skies
and show us the way to abundant powder
and lead us not into avalanche conditions
but deliver us to eternal powder
for thine is the powder the slope and the glory
for ever and ever HIMARK

Thank God that everything turned out for the better. I'm sure that there is a lesson to be learned from this experience. My sig line prayer is a mantra that I live by, but ultimately God is the one that decides our destiny. Your's was not yet the time take head of the message that God sent you and do goood with it. You have started by posting you experience. now share this experience with every one and teach them the way.

You have been there. now help us all with you newly learned knowledge and teach us the way.

Coldpussy

Reaction score
Hey Kerry!! Glad to hear your ok!! Just heard,, good luck gettin the machines out! Be Careful!!! If your up to it when your back, stop by the shop. I'll let Gene and the boys know your ok!!

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad everyone made it out,we wernt that lucky in jan. it is a scary thing to go thur,ride safe everyone

swamp_donk

Reaction score
I am not a man who expresses himself well in person, so I want to thank, from the bottom of my heart the two individuals who kept there wits about them (you know who you are Jeff and Randy, and my family is indebted to you) and were able to over come all ODDS to dig me and Riley out of our snow caskets. We were in frisby at the back in deadmans creek (maybe not the best decision!). Anyway we dropped in at 300pm bc thinking this may not be the best decision, got almost to the bottom and realized there was no safe way out the bottom. person x went a bit further and lost his nuts, decided it was best to dig in and try to come out the top. I removed my pack and helmet and proceeded hike down to help turn his sled around. We turned his sled around and as he regained his breath I began to hike back up. he hit the throttle and begin his minny adventure back up. Randy made it 50 yards and the slope broke, we all thought,"wow get the cameras this is going to be funny", then the slope fractured above him!!! I had literally 2 seconds to break into stride to head for the trees when a wave of snow hit me and covered me. the same wave knocked Riley off my sled had who was trying to see where randy was headed. The wave knocked riley off my sled and into a tree where my sled pinned his legs against it, he had no idea what hit him. that same wave carried jeff and his sled 50 yard down the hill. jeff scrambled to pull his avy bag cord 3 times but did not deploy. at that point jeff mad a decision to start scrambling for a tree as he was headed for a cliff. at this point I was barried with only my hand sticking out and I was frantically trying to clear snow away from my face, then a third slide came and burried me 3 feet under and it was like being concreted into the ground, I could not even blink the snow was packed so tight around me. from what I was told jeff was only haging on by a tree from being washed over the cliff after the third slide came. Randy who was on the sled some how miraculisly was able to avoid all 3 slides after being tossed and turned on his sled and managed to ride it out ( act of god, or something, call it what you want). all the avy's settled and riley was buring 5 feet under pinned by the sled and I was compacted like a garbage truck 3 feet under. Randy said he began immediate panic mode and began yelling for anyone left uncovered, as he could not see anyone or know where any one ended up. Jeff yelled out from 150 yards below, " I am here". randy ran all the way down to jeff to check his status, then they turned on there beacons and got a signal 50 yard up and 50 yards down (which would have been over the cliff) they scrambled up and down the slope to determine where the upper signal was coming from and were able to find Riley's signal after roughly 5-10 minutes, took 5 minutes to uncover rileys face and then a few more minutes to shut his beacon off. Riley was in severe pain as his knees and legs were pinned between a tree and my sled (which has landed him in Vernon emergency for surgery as a result). After getting riley air and his beacon shut off randy and jeff began ther search for number 2, me, just so happens they were standing on me the whole time they were digging out riley, but because we were so close the most recent ortovox avy beacons could not differentiate the two. Randy noticed a black spot through the snow (my belaclava) and frantically began digging. He uncovered my face and found a blue and purple corpse (literally), he said I was not breathing nor responsive. he continued to uncover my chest and abdomin, yelling "breath XXXXX, breath XXXXX!) I apparantly blinked very slowly and gasped a tiny breath of air. I do not rember much untill about 30 miniutes after I was pulled out of the hole. They continued to work on riley as he was pinned down. after all was said and done we ended up hiking/quadrupling off the hill with the remaining sled. worst scenario ever!!!!

ps.
being barried alive is the worst thing on the planet, your lungs affixiate and the pain is unbearable, then you begin haluciating and thinking you can just take a nap and it will all be OK! when you get to that stage think of anything you can to keep you consious, kids, wife, girfriend, sled, job, whatever it takes to hang on for an extra 30 seconds, because I assure you it will count. I am sure this blurb does not do the justis to the trials and tribulations my barried partner went through, nor our other two friends (who happened to save our lives) went through.

PSS, avy is out there, ride with caution!!!

Wow glad everything worked out, thanks for the heads up!! Where abouts is that spot on the ridge? Hope not to end up there, but all areas need caution. What type of pack was used that did not deploy? ABS or bca??

Take care fellow riders and be safe!!

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would also like to know what pack it was and why it didnt work
not to bash, but to educate......once we know, maybe we can get some reps on here to help explain?????

was it human error or pack failure????

again, glad everyones ok bro

SRS

Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Message from the Canadian Avalanche Centre to Early Season Backcountry Travellers:

I'm as excited as anyone to see new snow; however, a series of close calls have us worried. An early winter with above average snow depths mean it's prime avalanche season, without much run-up. Here are some thoughts to help you plan your weekend. And pass it on to those who are pushing a little too hard:
• It's storming in the mountains. Heavy snow, strong winds, and warming temperatures are rapidly increasing the likelihood of avalanches.
• It's only November. That means young, soft snow that hasn't had time to gain strength. It may look like mid-winter up high, but the snow is almost certainly not as good as it appears.
• We're watching a crust layer that formed on Halloween. We don't know much about it yet, but it has the makings of a persistent problem, especially in the South Rockies and the Purcell Mtns west of Golden and Invermere. This layer increases our concerns.
• Tuesday's close call near Revelstoke saw an entire group caught and buried. Luckily two of the sledders were "only" partially buried. They were able to dig out their fully buried buddies, and get the one who wasn't breathing going again. Read the account here. This is only the latest in a series of near misses.
• Popular areas that usually get totally compacted by heavy traffic have not seen much use yet. Avalanche conditions may be primed in these spots.

Here's what I'm thinking as I make my plans:
• It's possible to have fun on moderate terrain: don't even think about big-lines, movie lines, or modern lines. Pick uniform terrain less than 30 degrees.
• Smooth slopes with deeper snow help you avoid trips to the ski shop, sled shop, or emergency department. Unfortunately, these same slopes (grassy, rock slabs, scree, etc) can slide with as little as 50 cm of snow which means avalanches are more likely. This is why it is important to stay on low angle slopes.
• Avoid hazards above you and terrain traps below.
• Manage your group: talk about your thinking, one-at-a-time on slopes, know your escape route, and only re-group in safe spots.
• Practice with your beacon and have a simulated rescue drill. If your buddies haven't practiced - how are they going to dig you out?

Recognize this may be a short-term problem that helps in the long run. Choosing appropriate terrain for now might be the cost for great riding after it clears up, cools off, and the snow has time to strengthen. If you're willing to think more than a week into the future, this stormy weather might be really good news!

dmwood

Reaction score
holy smokes thankgod you all made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would like to here a follow up on the avy bag not deploying. wonder why?

Top Bottom