Avy air bag....what brand?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse is the brand that got my $$$. I have both the Highmark 22 pack, and the vest as well. Usually wear the vest as I like the added protection, but if it's very cold I wear a Tekvest under my jacket (shell) and use the pack - the storage is well thought out, and I simply like how the product fits me.

2skis

Reaction score
Just got a SnowPulse Highmark Pro, for me the vest felt uncomfortable(just not for me) the 22L capicty I was able to add a lot more items in case of an overnight stay or medical emergency. I did look at the BCA as well but after the dealer showed me a box full of warranty canisters I decided to go with SnowPulse.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also feel like its worth noting I saw on here that Alberta Cycle had a sale on float 22's for $350 a piece I think it was. Hard pressed to find a better deal than that

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a K2 By BCA. I Love the fit of it. and with it being co2

website link says filled with compressed air.....I'm sure that's what you meant?

I do believe they are filled with co2 (bca), my guess is he was thinking about abs which is nitrogen and requires exchanging cylinders instead of just refilling the cylinder you own as abs is supposed to be the only one filling their cylinders for quality control.

As as for vests not fitting big guys well, I am 6'1 250lbs and once I have mine on and tight I never even notice it behind me. The fact that I do not notice it is not due to there being nothing in the pack either. I am the guy with the jet boil, freeze dried food, flares, first aid, head lamps, spare batts, etc etc etc lol. I load the old mtn pro full to the brim and leave her closed as it only has my emergency/avy/survival supplies.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do believe they are filled with co2 (bca), my guess is he was thinking about abs which is nitrogen and requires exchanging cylinders instead of just refilling the cylinder you own as abs is supposed to be the only one filling their cylinders for quality control.

As as for vests not fitting big guys well, I am 6'1 250lbs and once I have mine on and tight I never even notice it behind me. The fact that I do not notice it is not due to there being nothing in the pack either. I am the guy with the jet boil, freeze dried food, flares, first aid, head lamps, spare batts, etc etc etc lol. I load the old mtn pro full to the brim and leave her closed as it only has my emergency/avy/survival supplies.
Yup my vest is heavy (probably about 40#) due to everything I carry and it stays on me until I get back to the truck at the end of the day. I'm 6'3" 270# and the Snowpulse vest is very comfortable.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty good info so far.....

what about ABS? There's a fair amount of those around....any input from guys that have them?

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
BCA Float 22 for me , it is a more entry level bag that is not huge as I do not like to carry much weight on my back. I only throw things in there that I need very seldom (tow straps, firestarter, overnight supplies, ect.) The new BCA bags have dual locations to mount the pull chord leaving another side to mount a radio ( BCA Link). Another thing I like about the BCA bags is the bag comes up behind my neck and would support it from whiplash in the event of an avalanche. Can also get them filled for $20 at Alberta Cycle which is the cheapest I have found in the Edmonton area. Good luck with your purchase!
The BCA bags are now filled for $10.00 we find to many people won't test them yearly and that was a concern. So $10 she is, and it's just compressed air. Also we fill it within 5 minutes no wait in and out.

Last edited:

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ABS Vario for me. Came down to the fit for me. Tried the snow pulse and bca, and a different abs (which was on sale for $400 bucks cheaper) but really liked how the Vario fit. Have only used it for mid or year end test. I like the twin bag design as well.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought the wife a float 22 at a steal of a deal threw Alberta cycle this afternoon! Best bang for the buck anywhere, and it is always a great experience dealing with the people there. For the record I believe there may even be 1 bag left....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ABS Vario for me. Came down to the fit for me. Tried the snow pulse and bca, and a different abs (which was on sale for $400 bucks cheaper) but really liked how the Vario fit. Have only used it for mid or year end test. I like the twin bag design as well.

I'm intrigued by the twin bag system....does that theory hold any value? Have there bags being damaged, losing air and becoming ineffective during a slide?

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the twin bag system....does that theory hold any value? Have there bags being damaged, losing air and becoming ineffective during a slide?

Honestly couldn't tell you if the twin bag is better or worse. I have noticed one time my one bag inflated more than the other. Could have been how I packed it but both bags still full. Hasn't happened again. They all advertise positives to their design

Top Bottom