avalanche threat

snowtime

Reaction score
anyone really conerned about the avalanches this weekend? How much safer are you if you stay in the trees near the bottom of the mountains? is safe to just stay on the primary trails? would you not have many problems then?

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out my reply in this post - has a pretty commen sense approach. https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f2/avalanche-conditions-worth-coming-out-4150.html

Basically stay away from the slopes. No need to get caught in one if you just stay away from the slopes that might avy due to slope angle or snow load when conditions are right. Never mind analyzing more than that. Just don't flirt with the slopes and you can still get outside and have an nice day. I'm no avy expert, but like I said, pretty common sense :)

Tree's aren't the answer either. Unless you ride in tree's that are so thick they are too think to ride in, they won't protect you. You need really alot of thick trees to stop an avy. And if you are in tree's in an avy, its worse then being out in the open, cause then you get slamed up into the tree's and you will die from trama - almost for sure.

Trails are some times safer but not always, you can ride along a trail at the base of a slope and that will not be as safe as avoiding it. However when trail riding you cannot always avoid them. The risk is mitigated some if no one is triggering the slope and you are not under it very long. Don't ever stop under a risky slope and keep your group spaced out so you don't get all caught in it at once if you have to pass under one. Keep your time under a risky slope to a miniumum and of course no one disturbe it. What comes up most often is riding through a cut block or under a chute.

Common sense, just be aware and think about where you are going, stopping, what you are under and the big one is don't ride with people who want to climb stuff and play on slopes- really this is the most important. Try to stay in open medows, low slops (20 degree's or less I would think should be quite safe), lakes etc. Stay enough distance away from slopes as to be ok. Stay far a way from huge slopes with snow loads. You learn to recognize stuff after a bit. If you can mange to do this stuff, I wouldn't let the conditions stop me from going out. I still ride even when I see avy activity around me while I am riding. You see a lot of it in the spring. Some times right where you passed when you come back that way. It's not like they are going to come out and get you in the open, you have to get near the slope to be at risk. You have to decide what is ok for you. Just remember to give them a lot of respect and importance and stay aware and educated.

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't want to scare you but even the lower trails are haveing small lanches.. rode today had a slab 30feet by 60 feet 18 inches deep fall right infront of the sledders not even 10 miles from the truck. ANY spot with a clearing no matter how big has the chance of slideing. be very careful.. we didn't even ride near any bowls. slides are happening in places that haven't slide for many years . there is a lot of snow that has just fallen on the pipeline from the pumping station staging area. good luck to all this weekend

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the most part the trails will be fine,Common sense is the most important thing you need to have.If it makes you nervous,stay away.Very Simple!
It has to have a slope to Slide!
catmando!

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey lightweight , where were you riding??? I just got the ok to start riding again(damn those broken legs/ankles) lol and was going to head to the CNP one day next week. We were thinking maybe lost lake area for the day. Are they riding North side?

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have issued a red (etreame) avie conditions for south kananaskis country south including elkford. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK CONDITIONS FOR WERE YOU ARE RIDING.

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was in the cornib elkford sparwood area. with the new snow fall you should be able to ride crowsnest area. but still use common sense

snowtime

Reaction score
we decided not to come down today, looks like were going to come down sunday for the day.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone really conerned about the avalanches this weekend? How much safer are you if you stay in the trees near the bottom of the mountains? is safe to just stay on the primary trails? would you not have many problems then?
Sounds like it's time for an avalanche course!:nono:

Top Bottom