Avalanche story ( a good read )

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I recall it happening, I found this article to be very well written and eye opening. That poor guy will never be the same, and will always remember.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read it the other day in Sportsnet magazine. Very sad story back when it happened.

adrift

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow what a story! So how has equipment become more effective since this happening? What changes have been made?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beacons have better range and are more intuitive but nothing else has really changed in my opinion. Probes, shovels and beacons are primarily used to recover victims. On occasion they are survivors. First and foremost avoid slides.
I also think those teachers had no buisness taking those kids in there. It is one thing for an adult to make choices for themselves but those kids and there families didnt really understand the hazard.
it was very fortunate two experienced guides were skiing in the area or those teachers would be dead as well.

Last edited:

TryHonesty

Reaction score
Beacons have better range and are more intuitive but nothing else has really changed in my opinion. Probes, shovels and beacons are primarily used to recover victims. On occasion they are survivors. First and foremost avoid slides.
I also think those teachers had no buisness taking those kids in there. It is one thing for an adult to make choices for themselves but those kids and there families didnt really understand the hazard.
it was very fortunate two experienced guides were skiing in the area or those teachers would be dead as well.

It really is a good example of how dangerous an area is when slides get that big. It would be hard for many people to wrap their head around the scale of the snow moving, let alone the search area. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this as the shock, paralysing fear and horror of it all isnt something that passes lightly, the guy is one tough cookie.

When you hear about stories like this, some areas just sound to dangerous to even enter, does anybody know if this was an area prone to slides of the magnitude? My condolences to everyone again.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really is a good example of how dangerous an area is when slides get that big. It would be hard for many people to wrap their head around the scale of the snow moving, let alone the search area. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this as the shock, paralysing fear and horror of it all isnt something that passes lightly, the guy is one tough cookie.

When you hear about stories like this, some areas just sound to dangerous to even enter, does anybody know if this was an area prone to slides of the magnitude? My condolences to everyone again.
Multiple slide paths but noy usually of that size. It is a crossing you do spaced well apart and you dont take a break or stop to enoy the view until safely across to the spot those guides were resting at.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I used to dig snow caves in the mounds of snow my dad piled up when he was clearing the yard. I made those mounds like swiss cheese with all of the tunnels and rooms I carved out. One night, playing in the tunnels with my dog (which she would never enter) I was playing a version of "Whack a Gopher" where I would pop out of the various tunnels and my dog would race around to see and then some times a grand ol' wrestling match would start. One night I was inside the mound getting ready to pop out of another hole when the mound collapsed on top of me. I was buried in about 3 feet of hard snow. I could breath, but it was very limited and I was unable to move my arms or legs because of the weight of the snow. I was well out of ear shot from the family in the house, so I was all alone. What saved me was my dog digging down to reach me. It was a long hour or so before she got to me and I was able to move my arms and finally dig myself out. I owed my life to my dog.
When I read the part about Will trying to control his breathing in the article, I got a tight chest and anxious feeling remembering my time under the snow waiting to be dug out. It still bothers me 38 years later.
It is a risk getting buried in an avalanche when sledding in the mountains. What motivated me to take the AST 1course 3 years ago and again with my son last year was this...

What to do to avoid getting caught in avalanches in the first place.

If you are caught up in an avalanche, the dice rolls and the outcome may not be favorable, Air Bags, swimming to the surface, beacons, etc may help improve odds, but the best tactic is prevention.
Great article and thanks for posting. If anyone has ever had a doubt about taking the AST1 course, this is some good reading to reflect on on what we can do do to reduce the chances of getting into this situation in the first place.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome post. Legendary Dog. Be hard to say goodbye to that friend. I agree with your the points you make about avalanche safety.
When I was a kid, I used to dig snow caves in the mounds of snow my dad piled up when he was clearing the yard. I made those mounds like swiss cheese with all of the tunnels and rooms I carved out. One night, playing in the tunnels with my dog (which she would never enter) I was playing a version of "Whack a Gopher" where I would pop out of the various tunnels and my dog would race around to see and then some times a grand ol' wrestling match would start. One night I was inside the mound getting ready to pop out of another hole when the mound collapsed on top of me. I was buried in about 3 feet of hard snow. I could breath, but it was very limited and I was unable to move my arms or legs because of the weight of the snow. I was well out of ear shot from the family in the house, so I was all alone. What saved me was my dog digging down to reach me. It was a long hour or so before she got to me and I was able to move my arms and finally dig myself out. I owed my life to my dog.
When I read the part about Will trying to control his breathing in the article, I got a tight chest and anxious feeling remembering my time under the snow waiting to be dug out. It still bothers me 38 years later.
It is a risk getting buried in an avalanche when sledding in the mountains. What motivated me to take the AST 1course 3 years ago and again with my son last year was this...

What to do to avoid getting caught in avalanches in the first place.

If you are caught up in an avalanche, the dice rolls and the outcome may not be favorable, Air Bags, swimming to the surface, beacons, etc may help improve odds, but the best tactic is prevention.
Great article and thanks for posting. If anyone has ever had a doubt about taking the AST1 course, this is some good reading to reflect on on what we can do do to reduce the chances of getting into this situation in the first place.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a detailed examination of this accident that supports your thoughts in the latest edition of " Canadian Avalanches Accidents 2000 - 2010" I think that's the name and I think it published by Avalanche Canada ( Can't find the book right now wife keeps putting my sh!t away). I bought it at a AST1 course last fall. It really helps drive home what you learn in the course I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom