Avalanche (last year)

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Came across this avy video on you tube, don't know if its been posted here before.

First off, I didn't post this to get into a pissing contest about anything and everything that these guys did wrong. Mainly just to show how little snow it takes to set off an avalanche, and to show a rider perspective of what can happen in a small avy. I believe that everytime you see what happens in an avy, there is something to learn going forward.

Lucky (if you can call it that) that the helmet cam stayed on and didn't get knocked off, to show what the rider is going through after it happens. Just his arm is sticking out and snow just covering his helmet, but can be freaky as fcuk when you can't see where you are, how deep you are, if your friends are coming, it's black, and you've got snow covering your face.

I'm itching to get on the big hills again this year, and making sure that me and my friends are prepared. Hope all you guys are too :D

tekim :)

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, this video made its way around last year even hitting the evening news on ctv. i think it is a great video, shows what can happen in "non" avalanche areas. so to speak. the guy yelling still sends chills down my spine. sometimes the best way to teach is to scare the crap out of people. make it hit home. imo

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to find out in what part of Northern Ontario this happened. I grew up around the Sudbury area and it was always an average of 3-4 feet of snow on the front lawn.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this.

I am terrified of avalanches. You see all these big ones posted all the time but don't realize the little guys can get you as well.

Katie and I are taking our theIndoor rescue work shop tonight in Okotoks and our AST1 this Sunday in Calgary. I..... we.... need to get educated!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post

gotta keep being reminded of these beasts (even small ones).. as long as you are afraid of them you will be mindful of them.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG! Never having sledded yet, this has been a concern/fear of mine as I'm eager to learn this year. I am even more freaked about it now that I saw how long it took them to dig to the point where he could breath freely when he was right on the surface and they knew exactly where he was. I can only imagine how long it would have taken them if he was burried deeper, especially considering that they may have had to spend a bunch of time locating him first.

I was gonna head out to the mountains a couple times this season and worry about avy training if I decided it was something I wanted to pursue further. After seeing this, I won't be heading out until I at least have some basic training and ALLL the frigg'n equipment.

So, thank you for the post!

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked really wind loaded! Why not clear your face instead of waving if you had that much hand/arm movement? (I realise this wasnt you. Just wondering out loud)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked really wind loaded! Why not clear your face instead of waving if you had that much hand/arm movement? (I realise this wasnt you. Just wondering out loud)

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing and just assumed that maybe he didn't realize that it was actually sticking out of the snow???

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing and just assumed that maybe he didn't realize that it was actually sticking out of the snow???

A friend of a friend kind of thing told us about a guy that "thought" he was buried. Turns out his face mask was just packed with snow. He said it took him a while to figure that he could move his arms.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I am terrified of avalanches. You see all these big ones posted all the time but don't realize the little guys can get you as well.

Katie and I are taking our theIndoor rescue work shop tonight in Okotoks and our AST1 this Sunday in Calgary. I..... we.... need to get educated!

good on you for getting trained up Highfly.... even more importantly make sure you follow through and do the on hill training, that's where you really put the skills to use!

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good on ya. I'll be attending AST1 in Erskine on Sunday.
Shoot me a PM on when you decide to do the on the hill training. Will be inquiring at the class to see whats left open and where. May be able to get together.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG! Never having sledded yet, this has been a concern/fear of mine as I'm eager to learn this year. I am even more freaked about it now that I saw how long it took them to dig to the point where he could breath freely when he was right on the surface and they knew exactly where he was. I can only imagine how long it would have taken them if he was burried deeper, especially considering that they may have had to spend a bunch of time locating him first.

I was gonna head out to the mountains a couple times this season and worry about avy training if I decided it was something I wanted to pursue further. After seeing this, I won't be heading out until I at least have some basic training and ALLL the frigg'n equipment.

So, thank you for the post!
2008 my group was out for a ride. My friend set off a avy and was buried bigtime. He diddnt make it. At 6' deep you have a 5%-10% survival rate. We werent very calm or organized and the repeated training we have done since makes me feel alot more comfortable. I highly recommend your idea about a avy training course. Take your riding friends with you also. So you all can find each other if the horrible happens. I actually won't ride with people who don't t have the skills to find me.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on ya. I'll be attending AST1 in Erskine on Sunday.
Shoot me a PM on when you decide to do the on the hill training. Will be inquiring at the class to see whats left open and where. May be able to get together.

i just signed up for the same course in erskine see you on sunday comming by myself as everyone else i will ridding with took the course last year

Top Bottom