Avalanche in Tumbler Ridge

Slummit

Reaction score
I just heard this on Global news... anyone heard a name yet? My condolences to everyone that knew him.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thoughts and prayers to all those affected

people we really have to stay off the slopes no matter how safe they look

if it is bigger than your living room or steeper than your stairs stay off of it

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said before we as a sledding community we have to get the word out that this year is the year to stay off the hills and keep to less dangerous terrain. It's time to explore the trails closer to our homes in Alberta or even go and explore Saskatchewan trails. There are other areas to explore besides the mountains and guess what? Those mountains will be there next year hopefully under safer conditions. I have already canceled two trips this month and next months trip to Golden may also be canceled. This season is leaving a very uneasy feeling in the pit of my gut, it is to the point now I dread what the news is going to be next Monday after the weekend rides. Stay safe out there folks and start using the best avalanche detector you have; THE GREY MATTER BETWEEN YOUR EARS!!!!!!

STAY SAFE,
Billy Boy:cool:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thoughts and prayers to all those affected

people we really have to stay off the slopes no matter how safe they look

if it is bigger than your living room or steeper than your stairs stay off of it

If it is even close to the steepness of your stairs, stay away. Most avalanches occur 30-45 degree slopes (shallower than your stairs). Find the powder and stay away from the slopes.

Canuck 1

Reaction score
My sincere condolences to the Family and Friends. I've riden the back
meadows many times where this happened and I realy don't know where
this could of happened.It isn't extremely step there.The man was from Rycroft Alberta.I belive the other sledder that sercumed to an avalance in
the Pine Pass ( 2-3- weeks ago ) was also from Rycroft.
BE CAREFULL OUT THERE BROTHERS AND SISTERS :(

Canuck 1

Reaction score
Found out the avy was on Windy Ridge ( old hill climb hill ). Nowheres near the back meadows.That is a fairly steep hill. I do agree with you Polarice
though.

Saigo

Reaction score
Name released

Name Of Latest Avalanche Victim Released - Opinion 250 - News for Northern and Central Interior of British Columbia, Canada

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 07:31 PM

Tumbler Ridge, B.C.- Tumbler Ridge RCMP have released the name of the 30 year old man who died in an avalanche near Tumbler Ridge Saturday.

Kelly Roy Siemens from the Hythe area of Alberta was among a party of six snowmobilers operating in the Babcock Meadows area approximately 35 minutes south of Tumbler Ridge, BC on Saturday when the mountain face snow pack where Mr.Siemens was operating his snowmobile let go.

The BC Coroners Service is continuing to investigate.

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Re: Name released

My synpathys to the family. I couldn't even imagine what you went through. Especially to see it happen and there's nothing you can do about it. It sucks. We need to be very careful out there. Don't take Mother Nature for Granted... The mountains is the most amazing place to ride but we have to treat them with great respect....

Again, my sincere condolences to the Family and Friends. Very Sad!!!!

FSJ-XRS151

Reaction score
Rode into Babcock yesterday to check out the slopes. Scary avalanches in 3 different places. Only took pics of the 2 big ones. We just played on the small slopes and meadows. Not worth the risk... :nono:

Attachments

• P1250611.JPG
    P1250611.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 66
  • P1250616.JPG
    P1250616.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 63
  • P1250626.JPG
    P1250626.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P1250627.JPG
    P1250627.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 78

SparkyX670

Reaction score
do you know which hill took Kelly's life he was a good friend of mine thanks

Sorry for the Loss of your Friend.It has been a tough year for Sledders and their friends/family.I don't know the area.Usually ride Golden,Revy and Fernie areas.My prayers go out to all those effected by these tragedies.

cobbster

Reaction score
Very sorry for the loss of your friend.
We were in tumbler last week and took a good look at terminator mountain where your friend lost his life.
there have been several other avalaches in the superbowl also.
All riders seem to be staying out of the bowls and meadow riding instead.

Top Bottom