Avalanche in Tumbler Ridge

Saigo

Reaction score
Avalanche in Tumbler Ridge Area Claims Life - Opinion 250 - News for Northern and Central Interior of British Columbia, Canada

Sunday, January 18, 2009 09:35 AM

Tumbler Ridge, B.C. - An avalanche has claimed another snowmobiler. A man was buried in a snow slide yesterday afternoon in the Tumbler Ridge area.
The man was riding with a group of other riders and had been high lining by himself while his group sat at the bottom of a ridge when the avalanche took place.
The members of the group were able to get to the area where he was buried and attempted a rescue however he was recovered too late.
This brings to fifteen the number of avalanche deaths this winter in the province.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just getting sadder by the day, please everyone play safe.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh maaaan!!..another one! I was supposed to go to Tumbler this weekend but cancelled because of the conditions. This is getting out of control. How can people be high marking when they should know that the conditions are extreme right now? And how could his friends allow him to do it?
No disrespect to the person and people involved, but come on guys enough is enough!!!
Stay out of the avy areas untill things are stable again!!

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't find this in the news anywhere. I thought the guy in Valemount was reported to be the 15th fatality, is it possible this is just some confusion on location?

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the valemount one is 14 and tumble ridge is 15....Very sad..I agree the guys should have stopped him.....

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be an optimist, but I cant find anything on this in the news. Global Edmonton is reporting the Valemount victim as number 15 and the details sound vary similiar. I'm really hoping this is not true.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't find this in the news anywhere. I thought the guy in Valemount was reported to be the 15th fatality, is it possible this is just some confusion on location?

It would be the 15th in BC, and the 16th in western Canada. there was a hiker in Banff.

Saigo

Reaction score
I have only found it on the news in Prince George, Opinion250 and the radio. The Max has reported it a few times. I hope they are wrong but I don't think so Ben makes a point of verifying facts first.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
READ the reports, LIVE TO SLED ANOTHER DAY. Still very sad. I think I might have to stick to sledding down my street....with my beacon on!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear of the recent loss in Tumbler, like the other i hope this is not true. My regards to all friends and family of those who have lost this winter. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't believe it happen yet again twice this weekend Wake up guys... it is isn't worth it. My thoughts are with the family.

Smokeshow

Reaction score
Been hearing it on the radio all day in Grande Prairie, apparently they were on Mt. Babcock, just South of Tumbler and the entire hill let go, very sad.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After hearing this,the boss laid down the law.No riding in the mountains till this clears up.I guess now I have a 350hp trail sled.This year is nuts.RIDE SAFE

budlite

Reaction score
After hearing this,the boss laid down the law.No riding in the mountains till this clears up.I guess now I have a 350hp trail sled.This year is nuts.RIDE SAFE
hey man auntie just said we can go to revy with the guys that built our sleds..sweet gotta have boost thou, i ain't pulling any more shet all day on my days off ,oh my back,gotta mix her another drink:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom