avalanche conditions

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CAC is no longer doing avy bulletins but my guess would be high with the warm weather and heavy snow conditions.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most the big Shyt has come down dude,,, bout as safe as its ever going to get.....

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as safe as it might seem I wouldnt trust everthing yet. This year we had a bombproof snowpack and stuff is hanging up longer then it normaly would, and we have seen places slid that we have never have seen slide and then places that always slide stay put. So be smart about the lines you pick and look them over before you go racing up, make sound disitions based on facts.
good luck and get out and have some fun

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesnt mean it all has funneled out of the shoots ! +28 today i could see some more stuff

moving

You are riding on a mountain... Avalanches can happen any time of year... Way less likely to slide than a month ago is all im sayin.

Last edited:

spikeydave

Reaction score
Was out yesterday in Allen and there is still lots of big cornices hanging. There has been a fair amount of sloughing but did not see anything come down while we were there and the pack seemed very stable. Just have to watch out as things warm up and stay clear of anything overhanging. Was a beatiful day with good spring riding conditions, trail up was pretty bare in the open spots that is to be expected on the south facing trail.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not so true

BTW this guy is asking Golden Avalanche conditions,,Not Allen Creek or Nelson,,ext ext

I rode in golden Over 80days this year and counting...

But its Way Too Dangerous apparently,,, Just Stay home I guess then:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one said it was not safe to go out, just don't fool yourself thinking because the snow feels set up that its safe. Prove it safe before you exspose yourself, don't assume it's safe. Further more I would never trust any info I was given until I could prove it accurate. It is awesome spring riding right now so get out and ride.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one said it was not safe to go out, just don't fool yourself thinking because the snow feels set up that its safe. Prove it safe before you exspose yourself, don't assume it's safe. Further more I would never trust any info I was given until I could prove it accurate. It is awesome spring riding right now so get out and ride.

And I never said Avalanches were not possible ither,, Just said its pretty stable right now compared to 30days ago.. Give it 2 more weeks and it will be even more stable.....But yeah OP dont take my word for it, go see for your self.....

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out over the weekend around golden and we popped out a ft deep slab on high north facing alpine skiing on dry winter snow.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know a couple cornices that Modman wont jump off lol

Yeah, I don't ski so I'm usually not jumping off cornices. Dropping cornices in +13 C weather on a 600 lb sled is a dumb idea IMO, but hey, that's just me.....I'm with HRT, if you think its super stable, you're only fooling yourself. 2 weekends ago there was a bigger cycle, didn't seen much last weekend or this weekend, but we also stayed in tamer terrain. With the extreme warm temps up top now, its only a matter of time before those big cornices start breaking off. We looked at a couple 20 ft's, and when they come down it will set off some big stuff.

Riding was awesome this weekend, thanks for asking though Willy. I'll upload some vids later this week once I get some free time. Riding in t-shirts is always a good time. Here's some of the fun we had........

1) Woke up to bluebird each morning
2) Sweet chili lime smokies over the fire on Sunday at 6,000 ft
3) Steak dinner cooked over the BBQ around the campfire in the backyard on Friday night
4) Tons of exploring in untouched terrain, only time of year you can access this area
5) The only view of my sled you will ever see Willy

There is still 10 ft of snow up top based on the probing we did, at least a month of riding left for me anyways.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 168
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 165

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was with HRT on sunday and stuff was moving and moving very frequently! we seen a slab about 10 feet high and probably 100 feet wide settle you could see underneath and it was just a slick rock slope. cornices are starting to fall and surprisingly slides are still running quite fast for this heavy of snow. If you think it is stable out there then you better think again!

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had this small one slide on us on sat. As you can see we had made several runs up the slope and dropped the cornice a bunch of times. We were probably around the area about an hour, all it took is one more drop and as soon as buddy's sled hit the snow off his last cornice drop, the hole face let go in one sheet. The fracture line at the cornice is between 4-6'. It appears to have slide on the bed surface of 2 storm cycles ago and it is pretty clean so there is not much bonding strength. We got out of this one a little lucky, a warning from Mother Nature not to drop our guards too much just yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 228

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This time of year can and does often fool riders that should know better, and most of the time they will hat away with it. I'm glad to hear that so many of us see what is really going on and I hope that others will see that all this warmth can make things feel safe but truly they are more dangerous. Little things like rocks exposed can make a large difference in wether or not a line is safe. I also know I pass up climbs and drops that I would otherwise do when the snow is going through the changes that 20c brings. By no means am I saying they are not safe, just not safe enuf for me in today's conditions trust your gut and trust your groups opinion, don't be afraid of pointing out possible concerns.
As for what we have seen this week in Fernie. Besides a few cornices drop this week everything we touched and everywhere we rode stayed put. I have see no new slides since about a week ago.
Get out and enjoy some of this awesome spring riding.

Top Bottom