Avalanche Awareness Day Sat. Jan.21/11 Boulder Mtn.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I hope a lot of you are able to attend this event, real good refresher day and a chance to meet all the people who work towards keeping us all informed and teaching us about avalanche saftey each season. We are also celebrating with the CAC in spreading the word of twenty years of public avalanche forecasting.
This is a yearly event presented by the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, Snowmobile Revelstoke Society, the Canadian Avalanche Centre and Yamaha Motor Canada.
The Revelstoke Snowmobile Club and Team Thunderstruck will be making a donation to the CAC again this yr. it is intended to be used to continue and develop programs to keep snowmobilers learning about avalanche safety. These monies were raised at the auction this past Nov. 26 at the Thunderstruck/Turkey Day/Start of the season Social. Thanks once again to all the people who participated and helped us that night. We done good. :)
If you would like to volunteer at Avalanche Awareness Day there is a pre-meeting Thur. Jan. 12 at the Regent 6 p.m. Brent is looking for people to help work at the stations.
.........and Woo Hoo, buddy Bob dummies, love those guys.

JANUARY 21, 2012: BOULDER MOUNTAIN.9 a.m. - 2 p.m.Poker Run near the cabin with the roll of the dice for each station. There will be four stations:​
·​
Beacons
·​
Probing
·​
Conveyor Shoveling Techniques
·​
“Whats in Your Pack?”Evening of the 21st: Fundraiser Auction and movies at the Legion Hall starting at 6 p.m.Food, beer, videos, auction and prizes.A possible transceiver challenge at the Legion for prizes.For more information contact Brent Strand at the Canadian Avalanche Center at 250 837-2435
ext: 225

This is just a quick breakdown of stations. For the most part we will probably circulate people around as to not get to bored, cold, and have some different point of views at each station. I have included obvious clues to all stations to help get the general message across that some of the best ways to stay safe is just look around and check out your environment.

Obvious clues:
1. Signs of avalanches?
2. Signs of windloading or rain?
3. Are you in the path or start zone?
4. Terrain traps?
5. High danger ratings?
6. Whumphing, cracking or hollow sounds?
7. Solar warming?

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Station: what’s in your pack or on your sled? Location: cabin deck or inside. Going over what the danger ratings are, do you know the terrain you are going into, basic obvious clues, gear and info checklist.
· Volunteers?

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Station: Beacons, located across from cabin. Give people and introduction on how to use a beacon, some tips and tricks then send them on to the beacon search, obvious clues.
· Volunteers?

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Station: Probing for the buddy bob dummies, try to bury other objects to feel the difference of hard and soft (helmet, log, anything), probing techniques, obvious clues.
· Volunteers?

4[SUP]th[/SUP] Station: Shovelling, teaching proper shoveling techniques such as the conveyor method (approaching from the side), cutting blocks, trading off when tired, and of course obvious clues.
· Volunteers?

*Maybe extra volunteers can dig a pit or two if we can find some good interface/reactive layers.
Maybe get Zuzana or another CARDA member out with dog demos as well.

5[SUP]th[/SUP] Station: Questions at the Legion Fundraiser:

Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Due to new liquor laws we all need to purchase a ticket prior to the event at the Legion this saturday night. Get your ticket for 25 cents at Skookum or La Baquette! Get them before Saturday at 6pm, quantities limited. Tell all your friends.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The day was perfect, it was Reveldumping all day so we had a lot of people hanging out around the cabin and participating in the stations. The Club and Team Thunderstruck made their donation to the CAC. Thanks again to everyone who donated items and bid on the items at the auction held Nov. 26. Many times the items were redonated back to be auctioned off again, the show of support from snowmobilers was amazing. You should all be proud.
There was a lot of info shared and I hope it interested even more of you to take an AST1 course.
Big thanks again to Randy Swenson for being our auctioneer, Rozzy for showing the goods to the audience , Megan and Rob MacDougall for taking care of the money and again to Randy for doing all the talking for the donation, public speaking isn`t on my list of things I do well. Randy I enjoy working with you, we always have fun and I am looking forward to doing it all again next yr. :d

2011-09-02 125.jpg 2011-09-02 122.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom