Av gas

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think everyone runs it who needs a higher octane fuel thats not super expensive, my turbos run it all the time..

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your sled is stock it's a waist of money! Your sled will actually make less power with it. You make you your peak horsepower at the lowest amount of octane the motor will allow!

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to use it because of the 13.5:1 comp ratio. If in doubt because it is not stock, use a higher octane such as av gas. These engines cannot stand alot of detonation. Dont expect hp from it, just perhaps savings on pistons.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone run Av gas in there sled? 09 Xp800. Is there issues with running it?

The only issue with it is it's more expensive than regular and has less energy per litre. Only run it if you need the octane or you like the smell of glue!

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the 80s we sleddedup to the Virginia hills Helicopter landging site the forestry kept a fuel cache at,,one moron took some Jet B and stuck it in his sled, well,it didnt hurt it,just didnt run, Jet B is a high octane Kerosene..not Gas..
as far as using Av Gas in your stock sled, DONT..

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run it so long as you only need about 100 octane. It will burn white(ish) on your plugs etc, so be aware of that for jetting. Race fuel is a more consistent blend and is stored in very tightly sealed drums/cans, and not as susceptible to outside tanks vented to atmosphere etc, moisture and degradation. I ran it no issues but just something to be aware of. Fuel is cheap, motors ain't.

I would like to know as to what theory or proof there is that avgas is not blended consistently.

As far as running it in a stock carbed motor, if you were running a lower grade fuel often or running low elevations with jetting that was set for higher elevations you could run a 50/50 blend without major side effects.

Also avgas does come in drums as well. They have a 6 month shelf life from date of manufacture.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well all the 08-09-2010 XP'S That are living around here and I recommend it WE are running 40-60 av and prem No ring turning because Zero Deto .Call it shatty locator pins I'll call it shatty gas ,but keep in mined that in over 5000+ miles we have not turned a ring sense running av.

Last edited:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the 80s we sleddedup to the Virginia hills Helicopter landging site the forestry kept a fuel cache at,,one moron took some Jet B and stuck it in his sled, well,it didnt hurt it,just didnt run, Jet B is a high octane Kerosene..not Gas..
as far as using Av Gas in your stock sled, DONT..

Morons always provide the best stories! Always good to have one around...not too close but close enough to see the flames!

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned before if it's stock there's no point I use it cause of my big bore kit requires it if I didn't have that I wouldn't be waisting my money

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldnt see avgas being sensitive or suseptible to moisture accumulation or degradation. Its meant to keep an airplane in the sky lol. They run at much higher altitude where freezing fuel lines means death, not stuck.

Only run higher octane when necessary, high comp na or forced induction.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also told that it is tested daily for moisture and maybe other properties. Can't have Cessna Bob's carbs freeze up on him now, can we? ;)

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends of mine run it in their silber turbo pros. One said that he got it cheaper than the premium i was pumping in my sled last winter in Blue river. Only issue is they own the trailer, we load 5 sleds in it. Either i cut him a check for the fuel i use or i bring my own drum if i purchase a turbo sled in the future. 5 days of sledding, 5 full tanks? how many jerry cans is that??

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends of mine run it in their silber turbo pros. One said that he got it cheaper than the premium i was pumping in my sled last winter in Blue river. Only issue is they own the trailer, we load 5 sleds in it. Either i cut him a check for the fuel i use or i bring my own drum if i purchase a turbo sled in the future. 5 days of sledding, 5 full tanks? how many jerry cans is that??

LOL lots of jerrys. We used to take 3 each and mix it 50/50 for 2 days riding. I was buying it for $1.82 last year, so not too much more than the price of premium in BC so your buddy is probably right. Beauty of not running it is no mixing if you need to, no extra trips to the airport, and you can fill up at any station. With a limited supply of av/race gas on board, you can only ride until the barrel/jugs are empty.... :(

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL lots of jerrys. We used to take 3 each and mix it 50/50 for 2 days riding. I was buying it for $1.82 last year, so not too much more than the price of premium in BC so your buddy is probably right. Beauty of not running it is no mixing if you need to, no extra trips to the airport, and you can fill up at any station. With a limited supply of av/race gas on board, you can only ride until the barrel/jugs are empty.... :(

i priced it out as saskatoon air port and its $1.86, he gets his from melfort airport so i dont know if he gets a deal???

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i was 50k into a motor i wouod certainly want it to run on higher octane than av gas too. Thats a lot of dough! I run race gas in my mr2 and im only into it for half of that. LolIm gonna run av gas because i dont want to have to blend race/premium, i would prefer to put it from pump into sled. I just worry that my blends wont be as consistent from tank to tank, dont want to have to make adjustments too often.

Top Bottom