Are the A-arms made to be the Failure Point on these sleds???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if with the new XM's being that the S-module and nun can be quite costly to fix, are there any "failure points" or "Crush-Zones" in the suspension that are supposed to fail before the main structure of the front end takes a hit???

Just curious, if im gonna doo some early riding I want to be assured that a little "landmine" wont destroy my front end....

Thanks and cheers!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's no "nun" to fix on the XP or XM, the little cast S module was designed to break or bend first instead of tweaking the chassis like the rev if you catch something with a ski or a arm. it's not as bad as having to change the E module, and not nearly as much work as it was to repair the nun. there are braces you can get to save the S module, they are supposed to make the a arm fail first in case of impact. early season land mines do not help to guarantee anything but a lot of work if you hit one. ya pays your money, and takes your chances.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's no "nun" to fix on the XP or XM, the little cast S module was designed to break or bend first instead of tweaking the chassis like the rev if you catch something with a ski or a arm. it's not as bad as having to change the E module, and not nearly as much work as it was to repair the nun. there are braces you can get to save the S module, they are supposed to make the a arm fail first in case of impact. early season land mines do not help to guarantee anything but a lot of work if you hit one. ya pays your money, and takes your chances.

Sorry for my low eductaion on the new XM, I'm used to the crooked ski-stance of the Old 06 REV i had, and dont want that to happen again.... the S module is what the lower a-arm mounts to correct??? E-Module is internal on the engine compartment???? so if the a arms dont break the S-module id the next step???

I got the Grip and rip braces, but might not have enough time to get them on before the trip... Just want to know IF I break whats my bottom dollar ( for a lack of a better term)

Also, are the shocks on the X rebuildable??? can a guy just purchase independant parts to repair if something goes wrong??? Im not trying to make it sound like Im gonna cheap out if the inevitable happens, but would rather buy just a shock piston or tube if I can, versus the whole shock....

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious, if im gonna doo some early riding I want to be assured that a little "landmine" wont destroy my front end....

Thanks and cheers!!

I tapped 2 land mines yesterday with my XM while carving (one on the outside of the left ski, which bent the lower a-arm with no other noticeable damage, and then one on the outside of the right ski, which shattered my front suspension support, and thinking tweaked the rest of the S-Module; I was moving at a crawling pace). There is nothing that you can do to the sled to "assure" that a land mine won't destroy it.

I will let you know what I'm looking at $$ for repair tomorrow, once I stop by my dealer to order up new parts.

There's lots of good riding out there. Yesterday was my 6th day in the mountains riding, and I had nearly 300km on the sled before tapping the rocks. There were probably 50 other riders out at Renshaw, and I haven't heard of any other carnage yet. I might have just been the unlucky one.

The X package shocks are rebuildable. I'm not sure if you can order the parts directly through Doo though. You may have to go through a shock shop.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my low eductaion on the new XM, I'm used to the crooked ski-stance of the Old 06 REV i had, and dont want that to happen again.... the S module is what the lower a-arm mounts to correct??? E-Module is internal on the engine compartment???? so if the a arms dont break the S-module id the next step???

I got the Grip and rip braces, but might not have enough time to get them on before the trip... Just want to know IF I break whats my bottom dollar ( for a lack of a better term)

Also, are the shocks on the X rebuildable??? can a guy just purchase independant parts to repair if something goes wrong??? Im not trying to make it sound like Im gonna cheap out if the inevitable happens, but would rather buy just a shock piston or tube if I can, versus the whole shock....
that's correct, the S module is supposed to prevent damage to the E module up to a certain force. the A arms are cheapest and easiest to replace, I've seen a few with a direct hit on them that bent them up without tweaking the s module. but if you hit something with the far outside like the ski or spindle it will bend the S module. I think the S module is a couple hundred bucks, labour is the big cost if you have someone else do it. lots of rivets to grind off. many use bolts upon installation

as for the shocks they are rebuildable on the x models, not sure on price for parts.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might just be better off to buy the S-36 package kit from doo if thats the case, just priced out one side (upper and lower A-arm, and complete shock) and price was 30$ lower thatn the whole S-36 package kit!!!!!

Seems silly not to buy the S-36 package kit, and have a spare shock + set of A-arms for 30$ more than independant pieces for ONE SIDE!!!

Anyone know if the S-36 package is whats on the X-models???? Shocks seem identical...???

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seem a little worried considering you haven't even done anything yet. (or am i mistaken?) just go ride and enjoy the sweetest f*#kin ride ever. guys aren't lying. xm really does mean sh$t eating grin all day long. this sled just plain rocks!

Champagne powder

Reaction score
I tapped 2 land mines yesterday with my XM while carving (one on the outside of the left ski, which bent the lower a-arm with no other noticeable damage, and then one on the outside of the right ski, which shattered my front suspension support, and thinking tweaked the rest of the S-Module; I was moving at a crawling pace). There is nothing that you can do to the sled to "assure" that a land mine won't destroy it.

Some bad luck! Replaced S module on 08 xp last year! Can you show some pics if you get time?
Thanks

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might just be better off to buy the S-36 package kit from doo if thats the case, just priced out one side (upper and lower A-arm, and complete shock) and price was 30$ lower thatn the whole S-36 package kit!!!!!

Seems silly not to buy the S-36 package kit, and have a spare shock + set of A-arms for 30$ more than independant pieces for ONE SIDE!!!

Anyone know if the S-36 package is whats on the X-models???? Shocks seem identical...???

Yep the summit x has the s-36 kit.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seem a little worried considering you haven't even done anything yet. (or am i mistaken?) just go ride and enjoy the sweetest f*#kin ride ever. guys aren't lying. xm really does mean sh$t eating grin all day long. this sled just plain rocks!

LOL not worried.... Wewll, I was worried about hitting too hard of a drift with my 06 and end up having crooked skis... Just want some reassurance...

Some bad luck! Replaced S module on 08 xp last year! Can you show some pics if you get time?
Thanks

No pics... no damage YET....... But dont worry Ill show em when I got em

I drill holes in the back of the lower a arm in hopes it will fail there

You drill the backside of the A-arm Tube??? How many holes??? Where along the distance of the tube??? The front or rear??? Might be worth considering!!!

Yep the summit x has the s-36 kit.

Makes it a pretty easy decision when the inevitable happens.... That way you got spare parts for later on too!!!! And at half the price of buying individually!!!

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the shocks are the same too. I've bought a few s-36 packages it just makes sense dollars and cents wise. The only problem I have is all the spare shocks lying around lol.

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll put up pictures when I get the time. Still got to sort through all my ride footage/pictures. I started ripping parts off today and it looks like I'm getting away with just a bent a-arm and a broken front suspension support. If I wanted everything perfect I'd replace the entire S-Module since there is a VERY minor bend in one spot, but since I know I'll be hitting other things I'm not worried about it. I'll be bolting the front suspension support on, and while I'm at it I'll be adding the RS Lower A-Arm support. If I had that then I might have saved my suspension support.

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the parts for my sled. All done I'll be sitting around $350-$375 plus a few hours of my time. All I really needed was the front suspension support, lower left a-arm, hardware, and I ordered the Lower A-Arm brace off the 2012 race sled. My whole mounting area for the rear of the front suspension support is a little gummed up on one side, but between the brace and a few bolts it'll be good enough for the rest of the season. Once the warm weather hits again I'll be tearing down the front end and will most likely replace the whole s-module and a couple other pieces, since I imagine I'll be clipping a few more rocks this year!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drill holes in the back of the lower a arm in hopes it will fail there

You might have to be careful on the size of hole, cause you might turn the sled into a Dog whistle, when you drive through some of the small towns just imagine the racket that you will create.Lol My wife tells me I have a very active imagination :)

Top Bottom