anyone have alot of 98/99 summit x knowledge?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this sled 2 years ago as a 99 summit X.After some of my research,I think
it's actually a 98?From the info that I can find the 98's had the Skidoo logo on the seat
in a multi color and the 99 was all yellow.????And the 98 had an aluminum block for a DPM
module and the 99 was a larger black plastis one???
Could anyone please tell me where the airbox sensor wires went to and the PTO side sensor
in the head,where did the wires go to??
In this pic,beside the steering post there are 2 wires that are cut off(yellow and yellow/black)
where did they used to go???
Any help would be awsome thank's
sled 10.JPG

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a hold of Maxwell he's the doo guy.

I bought this sled 2 years ago as a 99 summit X.After some of my research,I think
it's actually a 98?From the info that I can find the 98's had the Skidoo logo on the seat
in a multi color and the 99 was all yellow.????And the 98 had an aluminum block for a DPM
module and the 99 was a larger black plastis one???
Could anyone please tell me where the airbox sensor wires went to and the PTO side sensor
in the head,where did the wires go to??
In this pic,beside the steering post there are 2 wires that are cut off(yellow and yellow/black)
where did they used to go???
Any help would be awsome thank's
View attachment 122097

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok right on ,thank's
The oil injection and the DPM have been removed,I'm fine with pre mixing
But I would like to put the Dpm back in if possible.I just wana ride it, and not
have to piss around with jetting all of the time.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the 99's were yellow, as well the 99,s were snowcheck only as the 99 model year went to the 600-700 in the zx chassis. kind of hard to see anything in your picture as to what you are looking for but all the wires headed towards the mag area on the engine.
just out of curiosity where did you buy the sled from? and was it a new engine in the sled when you bought it? does the dess still work? might know a little history on said unit.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the right of the steering post in the pic.the main harness going down beside the airbox.
that is where there is a yellow and a yellow black just sticking out of the tape.I'm trying
to figure out where these wires used to go.Dess has been removed.(if the 98's had it)
I have a 98/99 skidoo repair manual on cd. but the wiring schematics suck.I would like
to put this sled back toa more original state if it's not too much work.I'm trying to get
info as to how the sled was originally and compare it to how it is now.
when you say the 99's were all yellow do you mean the lettering on the seat?
I bought the sled from a guy in Calgary,and yes it had (supposedly) a new engine.
What do you know???

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99 SummitX had a yellow hood, idlers etc.
98's did have DESS and it isn't very easy to remove, I'd suspect an older engine installed into this (98??) chassis. Does it still have big 44mm carbs?

Yuey

Reaction score
Don't know if I can be of much help....But I had a '98 summit 670x. It was blue with dpm. I know of two other people who had the same sled and had the same problem...Basically the dpm didn't work and so it reverted to it's safest setting....which is extremely rich in the mountains. To make a long story short... after tearing the carbs apart and cleaning them and then tearing down the engine looking for a possible squeaked ring I ended up just rejetting it slowly one size at a time on the mains, and going a lot smaller on the pilot jet and raising the e-clip and looking at the wash on the piston with each change...very time consuming. The set up on this sled was not the same as there other 670's of the same year and the brass in the carbs is completely different on the 670 summits. The dealer looked at it before I started rejetting it and gave it back to me several hundred dollars later with out fixing the problem. I did however talk to a guy not that long ago that said that the problem with that particular year was something to do with a faulty sensor or something that is on or near the bottom of the engine....I can't recall exactly what it was called but something to do with heat. To the best of my recollection there were two wires that plugged into the air box and went to the selenoid that was attatched to the front of the air box that has the tubes running out of it to controle the pressure in your float bowls. I just ran mine with the dpm disconected and did eventually get it jetted to run like a top....I was just carefull not to go screaming across any lakes a lower elevation when the temperatures were cold.
Well I probably said a lot and didn't really help you much....good luck.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,It's a H.O engine anyway.(2 sensors on the head)I dont know what a DESS teather looks like,butthis is just a plain teather.
Yes 44mm carbs.It has a blue hood,but that doesnt mean much.
seat has Skidoo in yellow letters with the light blue and white around it,from the info I have
found,the 98's had that seat.The air box as well has small black clamps for the dpm,not the
larger ones that the 99's apear to have had.

Last edited:

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could also tell us if you have two sensors in the head, one on each side of the coolant outlet on the head. If it has one it's a non HO, that would also help us determine what it might be.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,It's a H.O engine anyway.(2 sensors on the head)I dont know what a DESS teather looks like,butthis is just a plain teather.
Yes 44mm carbs.It has a blue hood,but that doesnt mean much.
seat has Skidoo in yellow letters with the light blue and white around it,from the info I have
found,the 98's had that seat.The air box as well has small black clamps for the dpm,not the
larger ones that the 99's apear to have had.

if it is just a regular tether cord then it is not a 99. google the vin and it will show you what year it is really quick. coule still be a 99 chassis with spare parts attached to it though i guess. if your not mountain riding lots i would just jet it for local riding and go from there. if really worried about it but a holtzman or equivellant and run that. will be way easier than trying to find all the parts for the dpm and then trying to get it working properly, especially when working with used parts like hat who really knows if it is working properly.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant google the VIN.It has a racers edge tunnel on it and it was re-registered as a 2003.
I have bought some 99 summit X parts with the hopes of re-installing them,but I dont know
enough of the differences in wiring and ect.between 98 and 99.Am I correct in thinking that
the DPM was a 2 part system,A computer to recieve the information from the sensors and
that "computer" told the DPM moudule to give more or less vacuum to the carbs?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got an air pump and a dpm out of a 99 summit x,I just need wiring schematics
to go ahead any further.Maybe I'll contact afew sled wreckers and see if I can
(for a reasonable price)buy a wiring harness,cdi,ect,ect.out of a trashed sled.
Back in the day,I suppose sled heads thought they could tune an engine better
than Skidoo could ,so they ripped out all of the factory"tuning" system??????????
If it ever snows,I just wana ride this thing and not piss around with "tuning"

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the easiest way is to add a ATACC set up from Holzman........$270 and runs like a EFI sled.......I have put a few on and doing a 91 570 yamaha exciter tomorrow for the neighbour.......I love this kit! it compensates for altitude and temp.........just my 2 cent......

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got an air pump and a dpm out of a 99 summit x,I just need wiring schematics
to go ahead any further.Maybe I'll contact afew sled wreckers and see if I can
(for a reasonable price)buy a wiring harness,cdi,ect,ect.out of a trashed sled.
Back in the day,I suppose sled heads thought they could tune an engine better
than Skidoo could ,so they ripped out all of the factory"tuning" system??????????
If it ever snows,I just wana ride this thing and not piss around with "tuning"

I sent you a PM

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the easiest way is to add a ATACC set up from Holzman........$270 and runs like a EFI sled.......I have put a few on and doing a 91 570 yamaha exciter tomorrow for the neighbour.......I love this kit! it compensates for altitude and temp.........just my 2 cent......

yes what ok said especially when it is a modded unit. you really have zero idea what is in that sled for wiring. way easier to do the holtzman thing.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank's for the PM beachsled.I'm pretty sure the files you posted are the same as the CD.I have.:)
I'll keep going through them to see if theres anything on wiring that would help.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont even mess with that DPM......ATACC is 10 times better and a lot easier to install.......Zero wires! bring the sled by and I will install one! I was going to do one today but to dam sick to go out side! lol they are the cats ass! really

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought from what I have read that the DPM system that the 98/99 summits had
were pretty good?I have popped into the skidoo dealership in Wetaskewin afew times
and the owner of the place has always gave me afew pointers about tuning.
He said who ever build my sled made a big mistake by removing the DPM,because
the way it is now it's a ride,stop,tune,and ride again type of sled.
When I bought it ,if i remember right the mains were 310/300
I'm at 370/360 now and still checking plugs all the time.I've almost read enough to
start doing afew plug chops and dial it in a little more.But,some snow would be nice
for that to happen.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the DPM was great.....if some one didnt start ripping it out or F&^King with it.......but any sled I have put a ATACC on ran like a fuel injected sled at sea level or at 7500 feet......and nothing electrical to screw up with.......and it can go on any sled with a carb...... and you dont have to worry about what wire goes where! K.I.S.S.......you know the saying.....KEEP IT SIMPLY STUPID!....dont get me wrong.....the ATACC is not the only way......DPM is great if you can hook it all back up and get working again!

Top Bottom