Need help 99 summit x 670 dpm no spark

powderpusher

Reaction score
I have a freind that has a 99 summit x 670 dpm it is having weird spark issues that we cant figure out,When the sled is cold it will fire right up and run all day but as soon as you shut it off it will lose all spark to the plugs and wont start up again untill it sits for 3-5 hrs ,when it starts it will stay running all day until you shut it off then it will not restart ,we already went through all the wiring ,unplugged the kill switch ,had the dpm reprogrammed but still the same,does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing our problem,woul like to get it fixed so we can use it

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds srt of similar to the problemsi am having. I am not sure the cause yet been doing some trial and error on mine I have a 98. are you sure your losing spark.have you checked to see if its flooding. My sled starts great when cold but after its been runing for a bit when i try to restart the engine seems flooded and the plugs are wet. I have found turning the fuel off before shutting the sled off helps. Also holding the throttle wide open when restarting ifit seems flooded.

powderpusher

Reaction score
I dont beleive it is flooding as i pulled the plugs and plug in a new set pulled it over and still had no spark,Its just weird that if i go out in the morning it will start up in one pull and as long as i dont shut it off i can ride it all day but as soon as i shut it off it loses all spark at the plugs and if i open the hood and let it sit for 4-5 hrs it will fire right up and run for hours until i shut it off again then it will lose all spark,then today when i had it running the lights seemed to be dim and the tach started bouncing around then it started working ok again but as soon as i shut it down no spark its got me baffled

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a copy from the manual

5. TRIGGER COIL VOLTAGE
TESTING
1. Disconnect 4-wire housing between the ignition
module and the engine (4-20).
2. Connect multimeter probes to RED/WHITE
wire (female side) and to the engine, then bring
selector switch to and scale to 00.0VAC.
3. Activate the manual starter and check values indicated
by the multimeter.
4. Repeat operation 3 times.
5. Compare readings with those appearing in the
IGNITION table.

Trigger coil
Continuity
RE/WH
and
engine
4-20-D-F
and
engine
140.0 -
00.0 W 2.0 - 9.0 00.0VAC

powderpusher

Reaction score
found the problem ,it turned out to be a bad connection in one of the wiring plugs,now i just got to figure out how to get the skis to touch the ground at 80+mph so i can steer the bugger

Reaction score
Eh, HAzit, new rnd here, anywayz I got a 99x and I got that same flooding problem, well I'm going to get some rebuild kits for my 44's and I,m pretty sure it's just my needle valves but might as well get m all new, "right" Iv'e cleaned them out pretty good but I'm going to give m the full treatment, marsoff, 1\2 hr, hot bath, dry high heat reasemble, oem finish, and bling, eh. Anywayz runs like a champ till she floods!

conn44

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my friends 99 summit x 670. When ever it is left outside in the cold it doesnt have any spark. So i pulled it into the shop and left it for around 4 hours and it started first pull. Is it just the connections or could it be the CDI box?

Top Bottom