Anyone have a dealer "black list" you

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the back of the line theory especially with when someone doesn't buy from the dealer they are now getting service from, but what is to be expected if they do go in for service? Do I keep my spot starting at the back of the line or does it end up being 'we'll get to you when we're done with our customers. Even the ones that came after you?' It would suck to miss out on a part of the season because the dealer keeps bumping you back and back and back because buddy shows up on Thursday and needs to be out on the weekend. Meanwhile your sleds been in there for 2-3 weeks on something you scheduled.
I always ask how busy they are and how long I can expect it to take before I even take my machine there. At least then you know what to expect.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Fact is that at certain times, dealers are busy. Any businessman will have to make decisions when it's busy. Who are they going to give priority to if they have two machines come in that need work, a customer they know and has purchased there before, or a stranger they don't know? In my business, I don't hesitate to give my longer term clients priority than a new client I don't know. That longer term client has earned the right to priority in my mind. Don't see why it would be any different with a dealer.

well said, in my business aswell its not hard to accomodate everyone at certain times of the year. but at other times its big long term clients top of the list.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say when it's crazy busy it's "longtime customer" - squeeze you in by tomorrow, "polite new guy" - this week some time if we can squeeze it in, "attitude non-customer who last time in store yelled screw you I'll save 500 bucks down the road and never shop here again" - we are booking for next month

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To sustain and increase and grow any business your goal should be to satisfy your existing clients while continually prospecting for new clients and when the opportunity presents itself, give them reasons to become long term clients.
Some of This flippant cocky screw you attitude towards new client possibilities shows a definite lack of experience and certainly a lack of consideration towards the longevity of the business as a whole.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To sustain and increase and grow any business your goal should be to satisfy your existing clients while continually prospecting for new clients and when the opportunity presents itself, give them reasons to become long term clients.
Some of This flippant cocky screw you attitude towards new client possibilities shows a definite lack of experience and certainly a lack of consideration towards the longevity of the business as a whole.

and i guess thats why so many dealerships change names and dissapear so often.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just business. I know that dealerships are expected to put a smile on and show some leg for each and everyone that shows up but its gotta get tough when the loyal guy who has been there since the start walks in and the new guy that you have never seen is drinking your coffee, eating your donuts and wants the same service. Lots of guys jump dealers because they feel that they weren't treated properly when in all aspects haven't earn the respect of the dealer in the first place. If you want the service you deserve ask for it up front and if your sincere in what your asking you will get it.

I buy sleds where ever I get the best price. I don't expect anything special in return. I understand that I may have to wait for warranty work at the local shop and don't expect them to jump through hoops.

Its just business. ask yourself what you would do for you best friend in comparison to the next door neighbour who throws sh!t over your fence.

MRFUSION

Reaction score
Everyone comparing a car dealership to a Powersports dealership is plain out to lunch!! Powersports dealerships get SLAMMED twice a year... Start of summer... And start of winter. It's very hard to keep enough staff around all year! Then in the start of the winter... You have hundreds of NEW customers to look after as WELL as the previous customers that need to get their machines ready for whatever season is upcoming! It doesn't matter if you drive across town or drove across the country to purchase... The dealerships have a responsibility to give priority service to the customers that purchased there! Most customers become friends... Developing a relationship with your dealership. People take it personal... It isn't. If I buy my machine somewhere... And I bring it in to get serviced... Of course I would expect them to get it in and out as soon as possible!! This is why I keep returning! A dealership will never turn down work... However if you bought a machine somewhere else... And bring it in at the start of winter for a big job... They aren't going to tie up a technician that could be assembling machines for people that have signed a deal on a machine... They have been waiting MUCH longer than you have in that case! These are all pretty rare occurrences...but in your case.... Yea man.. You are going to get bumped pretty good. There are dealerships around Alberta that were storing sleds in the ditch outside their building.it gets crazy!... People put down deposits... And they wait a LONG time for their machines... And as soon as the first guy gets one and tells his buddy... It's open season with the target on the dealers back. You HAVE to have your ducks in a row... And you better be able to hold up your end of the deal... And YEA... That means priority attention!

Theres some truth to that. I have been a dealer for 14 years and its a huge juggling act. Lots to consider here. Kinda got to educate your customer if you can, when it comes to ATV's in the spring the unit in most a cases broke down last hunting season or fall anyways and sat full of mud and broken in the shed all winter. Easily repaired from Jan to March. Spring shows up and they are on my doorstep needing it for the next weekend for a trip. Spring and fall are the busiest time for sure, you can say sure drop it off to everyone then the phone calls start coming wondering if you got to it yet, upset customer, book it in for a month from now same issue, too long to wait, upset customer. Quality techs dont grow on trees either, one poor tech can take years of a great reputation and throw it out the window in a few weeks. Many dealers rely on high school kids to assemble and PDI units because the techs are tied up but actually thats a pretty important job, wheels falling off is hard on business. You want to work on it all and show great service including other brands so maybe their next purchase will come from your shop too. Like I said a juggling act. I love it but it has its challenges.

Top Bottom