Anybody ever get knee injections?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got the diagnosis.. osteoarthritis behind my knee cap. Bursitis etc knee is full of it I have been nursing it for years. Did injections help or hinder you how long did they last?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a completely screwed knee and have had the injections a few times . Needs replacing .
It helped a bit for a few months but that’s about it .
I think everyone has a different experience.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Pretty sure summitric used to get injections regularly before he had his knee surguries.....

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have shoulder and knee issues from many years of wear and tear. Found out my shoulder was bursitis in January and was given a prescription for injections. Tried to book and they were looking over a month and a half out so I tried out a combination of freezing gel and CBD oil once a day. Still have minor pain when I have heavy use but very manageable and all without injections. I know this won’t work for everybody or every injury but it has worked for me so far.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have shoulder and knee issues from many years of wear and tear. Found out my shoulder was bursitis in January and was given a prescription for injections. Tried to book and they were looking over a month and a half out so I tried out a combination of freezing gel and CBD oil once a day. Still have minor pain when I have heavy use but very manageable and all without injections. I know this won’t work for everybody or every injury but it has worked for me so far.

I had shoulder bursitis really bad, years ago, caused by being a mechanic and pitching baseball and fastball for years and years.... had an injection, but didn't do much. Went to a chiropractor and one visit, and a few days later, the pain was gone. The doc says the bursa sack in the shoulder gets damaged over time, and he fixed it ... it is just coming back now, so looking to go back to a chiroprator, but none available at present, due to covid19

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
So I got the diagnosis.. osteoarthritis behind my knee cap. Bursitis etc knee is full of it I have been nursing it for years. Did injections help or hinder you how long did they last?
Yup, used to get both knees injected, and it did help, especially the first time. Seemed to last about 3 - 4 months. Second time and third time, didn't seem to make much difference and didn't last long. the more injections a person gets, softens the cartilige and can cause even deeper problems, the doc told me. I had 1 knee replaced last May, and it was the best thing I've done in years. I should have done this 10 years ago ;) . I had the second knee replacement booked for this April, but obviously thats on the backburner now, with the Covid19 disruption. :(

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both hip and knee injections. As said above usually last about 3 months then pain comes back. I was booked for hip assessment end of April but that was cancelled. But yes it does help, definitely a lot less pain. It’s funny how pain messes with the rest of the body. I have sleep apnea. I gave up on wearing my mask for a while since every nite I took it off after 45 minutes. Had injections in my hip for the arthritis, and I was able too sleep again with my mask.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The injections are cortisone which is an anti inflammatory so think of an advil 100 times and direct to the pain source instead of through the entire body as advil. I have had shoulders done twice and now elbows twice. It stops the pain but you have to be careful not to reinjure because you won't feel it.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The injections are cortisone which is an anti inflammatory so think of an advil 100 times and direct to the pain source instead of through the entire body as advil. I have had shoulders done twice and now elbows twice. It stops the pain but you have to be careful not to reinjure because you won't feel it.

I had cortisone injections in both knees lasted a matter of days then the pain was back. I have had both knees replaced and found it to be the way to go. My surgeon and I spoke about 2 other type shots not covered by health care, he told me inevitably I would need knees. Booked knee surgery! Just my experience.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking with all of your surgeries being cancelled the waiting time must be increasing big time. Hopefully the virus ends soon

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, used to get both knees injected, and it did help, especially the first time. Seemed to last about 3 - 4 months. Second time and third time, didn't seem to make much difference and didn't last long. the more injections a person gets, softens the cartilige and can cause even deeper problems, the doc told me. I had 1 knee replaced last May, and it was the best thing I've done in years. I should have done this 10 years ago ;) . I had the second knee replacement booked for this April, but obviously thats on the backburner now, with the Covid19 disruption. :(

we may have to rename you to RoboRic!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 3 in the shoulder, they were a waste of time, don't help at all just make it really painful for the day. I'd never get any cortisone injections again, downsides outweigh the benefits IMO. If you do, absolutely only get the guided one's, not a doc just guessing with a needle.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking with all of your surgeries being cancelled the waiting time must be increasing big time. Hopefully the virus ends soon
Probably but get on the list, I waited from when they first started to the end about 4.5-5 years. So the sooner you moving on it the sooner it will be done.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the thoughts, I passed on my first injection today. I can manage right now. BTW for anyone who needs daily pain management I found a killer knee brace on amazon. Its a neoprene velcro wrap with a ice pack insert that inflates with a hand bulb to surround the joint it has been fantastic I love it. After 10 mins I have to pump it up like 3 or 4 more times because the swelling has reduced that much. They make them for ankles, wrists etc. Do it.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im on my second year of injections, i get them every 3-6 months, they last about 3 months then the pains sets in pretty good, it affect everyone differently so all you can do is try. Totally painless procedure

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I am getting from various sources is that the first injection is heaven and its a down hill slide from there. After injection 3-4 it is borderline useless.. A couple of people have told me that the pain is excruciating after wards when you need another after the first few hits.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say mine is opposite, first injection was good but did not last as long as they do now, something i have learned is once you get the injection take it vey easy for a couple days.

Top Bottom