Any tips for a newbie mudder?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The common theme here is the guys that PUSH their machines through the mud like the waders. For those of us that drive through, the waders are not needed.
In all honesty Dave I can usually get through it is helping everyone else get through that I have to use the waders for. Of course when I get muddy , I get muddy!!!! And Roberta usually gets the worst of it(hee hee).

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave's got a good point about the rain gear not breathing enough. When wearing rain pants, I find that my jeans get soaked underneath just from sweat. It's great when it's a bt chilly and getting wet could ruin your day, but on a nice day I often use some sort of shell pants over my jeans. The shell pants won't keep you dry if your staning in mud or water, but they ususally just let water through and not so much mud.

You'll probably end up finding that you don't have enough room for everything you'd like to cary with you ..especially if you cary an excessive amount of refreshments. :) These are the things I never leave home without:
- small foldup shovel from Canadian tire
- recovery strap or tow rope
- tree saver
- first aide kit
- a bottle or two of water
- basic tools (quad too kit + whatever is necessary to change belt)
- spark plug
- spare belt
- tire repair kit
- electric tire pump
- booster cables (even if you have a pull start, it's nice to have just in case someone else needs them)
- copact foldup saw
- zip ties
- zip locs and garbag bags

And these are the things I usually take if I have to room
- duct tape
- misc bungie straps
- 1 rachet strap
- clevis and snatch block
- flashlight
- extra gloves
- additional tools (socket set, vice grips, multi screw driver)
- spare tie rod
- spare eyewear
- extra fuel

I pack most of this stuff in tupperware so it stays clean/dry and doesn't bounce around too much in the quad box.

This should be a sticky somewhere...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The common theme here is the guys that PUSH their machines through the mud like the waders. For those of us that drive through, the waders are not needed.

so that mean's there is still hope for me??? im gentle on my machines as its my hunting partner and normally avoid excessive mud... unless of course my moose is on the other side... seriously i'd go through it if i have too but find there is often a dryer way around and tend to take that way... keep the beer from exploding in my kemper box...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so that mean's there is still hope for me??? im gentle on my machines as its my hunting partner and normally avoid excessive mud... unless of course my moose is on the other side... seriously i'd go through it if i have too but find there is often a dryer way around and tend to take that way... keep the beer from exploding in my kemper box...
I am mostly just teasing Tex. LOL. I don't really have anything against the waders...too swassy for me though.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spare axles and a few biotlles of "Hot Sex"...........the other things are not really needed...........

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motocross pants work great. Good boots.
Comfortable shirts. If you have room spare gloves and pullover to stay warm.

Don't call anyone one a pu$$y and get run over......

Have a fun day.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K LOVING IT!!! I went with an Arctic Cat Mudding suit.. and my Betties Jersey which is now lost.. tied it around my waist and forgot about it!!
Rubber boots..
we had the wickedest family day today.. the kids were soooooooooooo happy!! I couldn't stop giggling.. I absolutely LOVE this mud stuff!!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to say ride responsible and not ruin to much of the trail and area. Soon it may all be taken away from us. But after seeing those pics I see you have gone way to far to the mud side of things. Remember we all need to be a bit more responsible with environmental issue in the future. Have fun is important and necessary but at what cost?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say ride responsible and not ruin to much of the trail and area. Soon it may all be taken away from us. But after seeing those pics I see you have gone way to far to the mud side of things. Remember we all need to be a bit more responsible with environmental issue in the future. Have fun is important and necessary but at what cost?

this is a part of the trail, and we had an absolute epic blast today. Maybe I'm going to hell????? we went through the muddy parts. Is this frowned upon. Were we in the wrong? We were with other families as well out for the day. Stuck to the trails, picked up other people's garbage, rode at responsible speeds on the way in. Had all of our helmets and safety equipment.
when your daughter was shown in our film mudding, was that irresponsible as well? Where do you ride?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a part of the trail, and we had an absolute epic blast today. Maybe I'm going to hell????? we went through the muddy parts. Is this frowned upon. Were we in the wrong? We were with other families as well out for the day. Stuck to the trails, picked up other people's garbage, rode at responsible speeds on the way in. Had all of our helmets and safety equipment.
when your daughter was shown in our film mudding, was that irresponsible as well? Where do you ride?
Having fun with your family is never wrong, it is priceless................

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having fun with your family is never wrong, it is priceless................

rzr, they are the happiest kids on the planet today.. exhausted, happy and thankful.... the clean up time was interesting.. Leo decided to "help" me out by dumping a bucket of water on me!!! Little bugger!

Glen, may I make a suggestion: Next greenroom meeting.. you guys should discuss a Site Name change....

Snow and Do Not Mud............:p

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with you mostly, how ever judging from Momma's pics I wouldnt say they were out destroying the trail.

IMO The big thing is stick to the exsisting trails, try not to create too many "bypasses". Ive been part of this "mud" thing vs ASRD for many years, but really too be honest have given up. But the main thing they dont like is motorized sh#t besides boats in the water. Something about getting oil in water table and blah blah blah.

The other thing the ASRD doesnt like to see is the "land erossion" thats why sticking to the trails is important.Dont create Bypasses, when you get to a skag field dont just start burning donuts like every other fool out there.

And being part of a ATV club that maintains the trails, build bridges over creeks and other water crossings ect with ASRD aproval also would go a long way for the Preservation of ATV's on crown land.

Oh and have fun!:beer:

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you mostly, how ever judging from Momma's pics I wouldnt say they were out destroying the trail.

IMO The big thing is stick to he exsisting trails, try not to create too many "bypasses". Ive been part of this "mud" thing vs ASRD for many years, but really too be honest have given up. But the main thing they dont like is motorized sh#t besides boats in the water. Something about getting oil in water table and blah blah blah.

The other thing the ASRD doesnt like to see is the "land erossion" thats why sticking to the trails is important.Dont create Bypasses, when you get to a skag field dont just start burning donuts like every other fool out there.

And being part of a ATV club that maintains the trails, build bridges over creeks and other water crossings ect with ASRD aproval also would go a long way for the Preservation of ATV's of crown land.

Oh and have fun!:beer:

See that's what makes me kind of confused. I had this talk to my children about sticking to the trail. This is a designated area, we're organizing a big clean up as some feel the need to party, burn stuff, dump garbage. we talked about responsibility, when it comes to Mudding. Sticking to the trail.. One mud trail is fine, but if everyone went out there making their own trails serious damage would occur. They understand about rivers, erosion spawning beds. They understand about the fragility of plants, and the fact that people can be any powersports worst enemy. I believe Brook is writing something about it right now.
For a Site Moderator to come and give me chit, and assume I'm some sort of hooligan makes me question his ability to be a moderator on a powersports site. I find his narrow minded comment to be not only detrimental to the sport, but misleading as to what type of riders mud peeps are.

Oh.. and I had fun... and so did my kids.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See that's what makes me kind of confused. I had this talk to my children about sticking to the trail. This is a designated area, we're organizing a big clean up as some feel the need to party, burn stuff, dump garbage. we talked about responsibility, when it comes to Mudding. Sticking to the trail.. One mud trail is fine, but if everyone went out there making their own trails serious damage would occur. They understand about rivers, erosion spawning beds. They understand about the fragility of plants, and the fact that people can be any powersports worst enemy. I believe Brook is writing something about it right now.
For a Site Moderator to come and give me chit, and assume I'm some sort of hooligan makes me question his ability to be a moderator on a powersports site. I find his narrow minded comment to be not only detrimental to the sport, but misleading as to what type of riders mud peeps are.

Oh.. and I had fun... and so did my kids.

Yeah you dont really strike me as the irrisponsible type. Good on you for teaching your kids respect for the land:beer:

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have talked to her also. Where does it start and end? We are not the only people watching on this site. We cut our own throats every day. ESRD and team green looks at these pics and videos and start painting our activity with a pretty big brush You being new to the province coming from pristine BC would you do that there? What would people think? You being new to mudding I thought I would give you my idea of how to mud as you asked. Friendlier to the environment is all I am asking. I have changed my riding a lot and try to avoid ripping and tearing as much as possible. Whos trail is that? Is it a snowmobile trail? What happens when the club wants to use that trail next winter and its all rutted up? Momma your all about education and making things better. We all need to be educated on better riding ethics on the trail use or we will loose our ability to use the bush areas in Alberta and other provinces. I`m not here to single you out but your new, may as well get a feeling on what could happen if we all continue to use the muddy trails as your pictures have shown. You are in no way doing anything different than others but some riders are changing their ways I thought I would just give you some tips on mudding for in the future. You had all your gear right, style right but to some you were doing wrong. I will get a pile of negative responses to this but it has to start somewhere to change the way. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time in the bush with your family riding the quads but don't forget the impact we all make to the recreation activity negative or positive. Thanks

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sad that a few of the sledders on here continue to bash the the quadders for the "land use issues" .Yet i NEVER see the quaders bash the sledders for ,cut fences,gargage along the trail,avalanche tragedy`s ETC ETC.This ride could be on private land for all we know,or a MULTI USE trail where quads are permitted..........
I used to farm and had far more "issues" in winter with sledders than quaders on my land.
Not picking on anyone but this is a litle ridiculous to single out members who belong to Snow & MUD and treat them differently than some other members..........IMO.
We all use and love the out doors,and it is a mistake to only blame one segment of our membership for our problems..........

Alienating a large group will have long lasting negative results,of that there is no dought...........

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whos trail is that? Is it a snowmobile trail?
Where do most trails in Alberta come from? Are you new? The D8 that made that trail (cutline) and the 20,000 miles of other "trails" in Alberta did a lot more damage that the vehicles that subsequently use these "trails". Many of these pristine "trails" that we are tasked with not "ruining" drive to huge tracts where all the trees have been logged. I sure hope the quads don't ruin the clearcut after the faller-buncher, skidders and trucks are done.

Top Bottom