Any tips for a newbie mudder?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so... We're beginner mudders. I used to live in Alberta, had a quad, and rode, but it sounds like today's riding is much more intense than what I did lol. I get my official break in at the Pierceland Rally next weekend. Terry told me it can be a pretty grueling treck with tonnes of mud and obstacles...

so...
What tips do you have for me? What should I wear??? (yes I know this is a girl question) What should I pack beyond safety essentials?

any Terrain Tips?

has anyone participated in this rally before? pics pics pics!!!

Thank you!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure Ur pants stay up if u get stuck. Unlike old Larry crackadoo.

Guess u could call that a terrain trap.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa. :beer:

Most are the same things as sleding
. Keep speed at bottom of hills to carry u to the top.

If Ur side hilling quite often it makes it worse to fight it ( even if one tire comes up ) if find that the quad will do its flex thing and bam Ur done.

sent from my HTC while working

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have always worn chest waders and mud jackets. three pairs of gloves to switch out, depending on how deep you go. attach a recovery strap or tow cable out the back and loop it up top so you don't have to dive in to 2 feet of water to find the hitch!

Remoth

Reaction score
Cannot recommend the tow rope out the back enough! You can get a 15' tow rope from Canadian tire for $15(I did anyway) that is plenty strong enough and I just put it in my hitch receiver with the pin through it. handiest thing in the world. honestly wear whatever you want to wear. I usually just go in jeans, boots and whatever shirt, but i couldn't care less if I get wet/muddy(bringing something warm and an extra pair of gloves is a good idea though. I make sure I take the necessary tools with me to change a belt or remove an axle if need be. If lots of winching is in order, a small pair of booster cables could make your life a hell of a lot easier. oh and lots of water!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate wearing waders and rubber clothes because you end up in your own personal smelly sauna by the end of the day. Riding pants and shirts for me. Ya you get wet, but so what...you're waterproof underneath. A few pairs of gloves is a good idea. Good riding gloves or Mechanix gloves still grip well even wet. I used to wear rubber boots but ended up banging my feet up all the time, so riding boots for me. If you wear rubber boots, make sure there is a steel shank or the arches of your feet are gonna kill from the footpegs. Leave an extra bottle of water and an old towel at the truck to clean up at the end of the day and have your favorite fluffy sweats and shirt to change into.

As for riding tips...this will come from experience. Please be careful on inclines and going over trees and such as these newer machines have a ton of power and they are heavy....so getting upsidedown with one on top of you is a BAD IDEA. If you spin out on a hill or a tree, don't clamp the throttle....back up and try again with a hair more speed.

Same with getting stuck. When yer stuck. Yer stuck. Don't spend a bunch of time roasting the tires and throwing your weight around...you'll end up breaking an axle. Use the winch or rope...that's what they're there for.

Have fun eh!

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate wearing waders and rubber clothes because you end up in your own personal smelly sauna by the end of the day. Riding pants and shirts for me. Ya you get wet, but so what...you're waterproof underneath. A few pairs of gloves is a good idea. Good riding gloves or Mechanix gloves still grip well even wet. I used to wear rubber boots but ended up banging my feet up all the time, so riding boots for me. If you wear rubber boots, make sure there is a steel shank or the arches of your feet are gonna kill from the footpegs. Leave an extra bottle of water and an old towel at the truck to clean up at the end of the day and have your favorite fluffy sweats and shirt to change into.

As for riding tips...this will come from experience. Please be careful on inclines and going over trees and such as these newer machines have a ton of power and they are heavy....so getting upsidedown with one on top of you is a BAD IDEA. If you spin out on a hill or a tree, don't clamp the throttle....back up and try again with a hair more speed.

Same with getting stuck. When yer stuck. Yer stuck. Don't spend a bunch of time roasting the tires and throwing your weight around...you'll end up breaking an axle. Use the winch or rope...that's what they're there for.

Have fun eh!

So this is Dave in his gear here. Big girl pantys and all

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367502837027.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367502837027.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 214

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave's got a good point about the rain gear not breathing enough. When wearing rain pants, I find that my jeans get soaked underneath just from sweat. It's great when it's a bt chilly and getting wet could ruin your day, but on a nice day I often use some sort of shell pants over my jeans. The shell pants won't keep you dry if your staning in mud or water, but they ususally just let water through and not so much mud.

You'll probably end up finding that you don't have enough room for everything you'd like to cary with you ..especially if you cary an excessive amount of refreshments. :) These are the things I never leave home without:
- small foldup shovel from Canadian tire
- recovery strap or tow rope
- tree saver
- first aide kit
- a bottle or two of water
- basic tools (quad too kit + whatever is necessary to change belt)
- spark plug
- spare belt
- tire repair kit
- electric tire pump
- booster cables (even if you have a pull start, it's nice to have just in case someone else needs them)
- copact foldup saw
- zip ties
- zip locs and garbag bags

And these are the things I usually take if I have to room
- duct tape
- misc bungie straps
- 1 rachet strap
- clevis and snatch block
- flashlight
- extra gloves
- additional tools (socket set, vice grips, multi screw driver)
- spare tie rod
- spare eyewear
- extra fuel

I pack most of this stuff in tupperware so it stays clean/dry and doesn't bounce around too much in the quad box.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear chest waders.

Don't mind swazz in them.

Better than clay mud or skeg between Ur toes.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have steel toed rubber boots, and Motorcycle rain pants from Canadian tire.... 95% of the time I stay dry.... the other 5% I've probably done something stupid and deserve to be wet.

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 (or is it 4) on the rope attached to your hitch. It would suck, if let's say you fell through some ice, and had to go digging for your clevis to hook a winch to. Am I right, Deano?
:eek:

I will be adding a rope before my next outing, for sure.

Everything else, that I would add, has already been said. Extra gloves. Staying dry, if it's cold out, is really nice, but don't kill yourself to do so, just be comfortable.

Oh yea, bring a few clean rags to clean goggles and such.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to have a bin on the back rack, carry a saw, basic tools, first aid kit, lunch and drinks.....but the big reason I like the bin is the added roll over protection....

Attachments

• Strathcona County-20111028-00223.jpg
    Strathcona County-20111028-00223.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 165

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the most important tip of all has been missed here......

Go out and have FUN! don't worry about how much you get stuck, or how dirty you're getting enjoy the day, have fun, and take lots of photo's to share with everyone when you get back!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biking pants a jersey and biking boots. Gloves are whatever you like. Marks has nice bright green ones but they might be a little expensive because you will wreck them and you do need 2 or 3 pairs back at camp. A pair of really white socks are a must to.

Quick straps are really nice, just remember to take them off the helmet or keep them on your face when you are going through mud or they get mud on the inside.

As for riding tips...know throttle control, keep your front end up and don't be afraid to get your boots full of water.

Top Bottom