Any clutching changes on 2018 skidoo?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya? Come for a ride old man. leave your 3foot windshield and hand guards at home though. Same with you Matt come show me how good your clutching is compared to mine hahahaha what a joke!!

Haaahahhah..

5de.png

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooo......

Has anyone noticed what A/C has done for the 2018?
Idler bearing on the shaft of primary, as a result, the belt sits on a stationary surface at idle. The belt is kept tight at all times, no more deflection adjustments. The theory is to maintain the lowest possible ratio at engagement for better control.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your killing me.:rolling::rolling: those big mountains of fort Murray must be steeper and deeper than the ones out west here because thats not the case at all in these parts. by your math someone has 10,000km on a G4 already to use 20 belts. how stupid do you have to be to not drop that thing off at your dealer and say WTF after i duno....maybe the second one??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Rene is on belt 17 at about 5000 km other guys in BC have been blowing 1-2 belts a day on real deep days. They have had the sleds to the dealers, gearing changed, clutching changed all helped but still not right. BRP told him he's riding it to hard and in to deep of snow. If their was a fix for it it would have been done by now. Oh and i don't ride in fort mac so calm down big wheel

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New video just posted BRP is giving away a free aero charger to anyone not using the whole clutch because the only reason to use the while cluch is more power!!!!!! #becauseturbo ��������

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its funny that you think that's funny. Your telling me the belt is going to slip in a linear fashion throughout the rom range? Hahahahahahahaha

Sorry Sean I am having some fun with you actually, but Its comments like these that tell some of us a different story.

Sigh
I actually don't have the time for this, but Im willing to teach if you want to learn.

Grab your 174 and I can meet you in Allen, and Ill show you what too look for on the gauges, heat, and clutch face usage, etc.

I'll take some parts and tools, change them on your sled at the cabin so you can experience how the change in calibration changes the sheave clamping force.

Your happy with you sled and I get that, some are some are not, and thats the beauty of it. If everyone was 110% happy with there sled than I doubt the changes announced would of happened, so why upgrade to the next MY than?
Doo upgraded the 2018 because they acknowledged that there was a issue and stepped up. Now there is new clutching, belt, and upgraded bulkhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gsteve

Reaction score
You want to use all the clutch face if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) to dissipate heat.

Also, just because the sled reaches and holds rpm, doesn't mean the clutch is working well at all-the belt may be slipping.

unless you have about 250 hp you will never use the whole face on a mtn sled , full shift = about 90 mph.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They announced a new belt but no number yet.

Good they addressed the problem, bad we can't use our stock of a belt they have used for last 10 yrs. Not to mention you blow a belt or forget one, usually someone in the group has a spare xm belt. Something to consider. Prob$240/ belt no also!

Last edited:

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old belt will still work,but the new one will work better. Same belts from the Rev has been updated 3 times. 7417300 166-377-383- latest.
Good they addressed the problem, bad we can't use our stock of a belt they have used for last 10 yrs. Not to mention you blow a belt or forget one, usually someone in the group has a spare xm belt. Something to consider. Prob$240/ belt no also!

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New belt has already been used by some people I was told first hand it is much better. It still does not adress the extreamly high temps of the 17 clutches. From what I am told the new belt is clearly better but does NOT fix or eliminate belt blowing on the the 2017

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new belt will not solve the clutching issues - the calibration is wrong! A new belt that can withstand additional heat may prevent belt failure but the bigger issue is the heat that is being transferred from the Primary to the Crank = engine failure.

Just fix the calibration. DJ and others are working on this right now. I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for BRP to make it much better - wait for the experts to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new belt will not solve the clutching issues - the calibration is wrong! A new belt that can withstand additional heat may prevent belt failure but the bigger issue is the heat that is being transferred from the Primary to the Crank = engine failure.

Just fix the calibration. DJ and others are working on this right now. I wouldn't hold a lot of hope for BRP to make it much better - wait for the experts to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect..[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif] Calibration is NOT wrong .. there's something else wrong and noone quite knows what it is.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]I probably own one of the biggest belt eaters around so I know the pains... I had a loaner 850 from my shop and rode it through one of the deepest 3 days of the year ... All bone stock, most of the foam and felt still in, clutches nowhere as clean as my own sled, belt deflection off, over revving .... I could not blow a belt ! Not only that, but the clutch temps were SIGNIFICANTLY lower than my buddy's 850 who has blown a few belts on the same day, doing the same run. Those 3 days would have been 100% guaranteed 3 belts on my own sled.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]So go riddle me that one ![/FONT]

Last edited:

Doo2015

Reaction score
I'm adding venting and taking out all insulation the day I get my 2018 regardless of whether they resolved this issue or not. Probably going to drill more holes in clutch cover too.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
instead of hacking up a new sled and drilling holes all through the clutch cover why don't more guys run the mtntk blowhole?? From multiple post and trends i have read guys have been brining temp guns up measugring belt and clutch temps. From what everyone is saying drilling holes and cuttingup the clutch cover has made little to no difference at all.

trev6

Reaction score
Just curious is you machine one that has had trouble with breaking chain as well? Working on your riddle.

Top Bottom