Another Cat Ski Operation?

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like we don't have enough of them out there already, another company wants to open one up between Ainsworth and Kokanee park and it's huge and they want EXCLUSIVE use of the cat roads which means no more sledding. I know most of you have never and will never sled there but the next one could be in your back yard so any support helps.

Link to their management plan/maps:

If you are tired of being told you can't sled on public land then do everyone a favour and submit a short letter saying you're against this application. Couldn't find a link to submit public input on the application page so try this contacts page:

Thanks,
Kevin

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kootenaycat, it's not that there won't be anymore sledding they are looking at the safety of running the cat on the roads. That is why they want the exclusive for the roads. The only way they can kick us out is if it is exclusive land tenure or if it is on private land.
We were dealing with alot of heli and cat operations back where I moved from and now there is another one trying again.
Personally I think there is enough of them out there, and really do we need more. Like cmh really do you need more land, I really don't have a problem sledding in their land use being they have so much of it already.
It would be intresting to see what person would spend more in the towns in a percentage, a skier, or a sledder on a trip.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kootenaycat, it's not that there won't be anymore sledding they are looking at the safety of running the cat on the roads. That is why they want the exclusive for the roads. The only way they can kick us out is if it is exclusive land tenure or if it is on private land.
We were dealing with alot of heli and cat operations back where I moved from and now there is another one trying again.
Personally I think there is enough of them out there, and really do we need more. Like cmh really do you need more land, I really don't have a problem sledding in their land use being they have so much of it already.
It would be intresting to see what person would spend more in the towns in a percentage, a skier, or a sledder on a trip.
My friends and I average 1500-2000 per trip 2-3 day trip at Zalas alone. The girls there say we tip more than 6 skiers entire tab. And I've yet to see a sledder hitchhiking in revy

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I understand it's about safety, dealt with that with BRC since they opened. Problem is if their cat ski trails are built in places where sleds used to free ride through trees/meadows to the alpine and that's the only route , then we are effectively being stopped from riding there. As far as I'm concerned if a company can't find a way for ALL users to safely recreate on crown land where they want to use for a commercial venture then they shouldn't be allowed there. Don't tell me I can't ride on public land because someone wants to make a fortune off of it.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe in multi use and see no reason that sleds cant use cat roads ... we always did when Powder Cowboy was running and same for Fernie Wilderness .
the cats can help keep the trail groomed.
Powder Cowboy groomed a made a gentlemen's deal to groom extra few km in exchange we avoided there skiing runs, and everyone was happy.

If everyone works together there is no reason that you cant have multi use, but if the cat company wants exclusive right to the land then Im dead set against it.
we all benefit from having more users spending in our local shops...

Top Bottom