Shootout#2!!!! 2017 Ski-Doo 165 Summit 850 vs. 2018 Arctic Cat-162 Mountain Cat M8000

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com
As there was some dispute over the fairness of the first shootout I performed with these machines, I thought it was worth repeating because some of the comments were valid (definitely not all of them!!!) and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being biased one way or another.

The results from this shootout really changed my perspective on these 2 machines as I thought they were at least fairly competitive with each other but it's hard to tell how differently they perform when you 're riding them. Even after doing the shootout I thought they performed relatively similarly and you can even hear my friend comment that he didn't even think the Arctic Cat was going to make it as far as the Ski-Doo did on the hill..... well things sure can look deceiving. The split screen comparison illustrates a stark contrast between the efficiency of the 800 Mountain Cat and the 850.

-Both sleds are stock, neither have any engine, exhaust"upgrades" or clutching changes.
-Both sleds are out of Break In mode.
-The QRS shocks were NOT locked out on the Mountain Cat, I left them in the soft setting.
-NO!!!!!!! I did NOT alter the speed of the videos to affect a result!!! All video was shot and edited in real time.

As for my personal assessment; I honestly thought my Ski-Doo would have been closer, hopefully they'll makes some changes for next year.

https://youtu.be/2D0TZPyfUM0

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omg...how is a 15 inch trail sled supposed to do that???

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering why you did NOT lock the shocks? Isn't it designed to prevent trenching in deep snow?

It would be great to see if locking it made a difference.

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Wondering why you did NOT lock the shocks? Isn't it designed to prevent trenching in deep snow?

It would be great to see if locking it made a difference.

Because I wanted to eliminate any variables for people to question the fairness of the test or offer up any excuse for why "their brand" won or lost.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because I wanted to eliminate any variables for people to question the fairness of the test or offer up any excuse for why "their brand" won or lost.

fair enough, I guess. I am not criticizing you...I think your comparisons are quite fair actually....

But perhaps you might do another one while using that variable....even if you run the Cat twice, once locked, once unlocked.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your doing a great job of trying to keep it even. Would also like to see a difference in the locked/unlocked shock. But I would love to see you throw a sidewinder in the mix. Climbmax get this guy a sled!

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
fair enough, I guess. I am not criticizing you...I think your comparisons are quite fair actually....

But perhaps you might do another one while using that variable....even if you run the Cat twice, once locked, once unlocked.

Yeah it would be interesting to see how it compares for Cat, but as far as comparing it with Ski-Doo, the sled was already 3.5 seconds back. OUCH!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same results as we saw that I posted earlier in the year , the new Cat is the real deal , and the lockout thingy makes a huge difference in getting it on top. They're different to ride though , I think the Axys and new Cat are more similar in characteristics, the G4 is way more wiggly and twitchy. Which I believe uses as much (maybe more) energy in keeping it on track than the other 2 , which are a bit more planted but still easy to carve and side hill.
Thanks for your comparison.

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats like saying I only pushed the throttle 3/4 on the skidoo because it's an 850 vs an 800 arctic cat put this lockout feature there and it seems silly to not use it in a hill climbing shoot out. Actually it's mind boggling why this feature wasn't utilized

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now imagine if there was a mountain track on that cat

Yeah it would have to be geared down or be track speed would be less. So to make them equal , you wanna slow the Cat down ??? LOL.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the cat being a 800cc and a 15 inch track, less hp, I would call it a clear winner.. Doo needs to get there power to the snow, rather than where ever Else it is going

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the cat being a 800cc and a 15 inch track, less hp, I would call it a clear winner.. Doo needs to get there power to the snow, rather than where ever Else it is going

and when Cat removes another few lbs of rotating mass on their production models, it will make that driveline even more efficient

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good couple of reviews. I think the comparo with unlocked rear shock is fair. It's probably more representative of the general population than anything. Most will never touch the lockout.

Top Bottom