Shootout#2!!!! 2017 Ski-Doo 165 Summit 850 vs. 2018 Arctic Cat-162 Mountain Cat M8000

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great review Snowride! Very clear comparison on a like for like basis. Any of the critics can get of their keyboard and go post their own videos. Cat looks impressive however I really liked the handling and power of the G4 vs my Axys so that's what I snowchecked. Thanks for posting your review!

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did really semm like tue 850 was done climbing just ran out of room same as the cat. Take the too go straigh ip 100% throttlw a hill they wont go over the top and dont turn out just let it chew until its done I'd like to see that. Takes the variable and rider out of it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
did really semm like tue 850 was done climbing just ran out of room same as the cat. Take the too go straigh ip 100% throttlw a hill they wont go over the top and dont turn out just let it chew until its done i'd like to see that. Takes the variable and rider out of it.

i'd like to see that too... Climb til they can't go any further... afterall, that's what a lot of us stupid riders do anyway :)

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As there was some dispute over the fairness of the first shootout I performed with these machines, I thought it was worth repeating because some of the comments were valid (definitely not all of them!!!) and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being biased one way or another.

The results from this shootout really changed my perspective on these 2 machines as I thought they were at least fairly competitive with each other but it's hard to tell how differently they perform when you 're riding them. Even after doing the shootout I thought they performed relatively similarly and you can even hear my friend comment that he didn't even think the Arctic Cat was going to make it as far as the Ski-Doo did on the hill..... well things sure can look deceiving. The split screen comparison illustrates a stark contrast between the efficiency of the 800 Mountain Cat and the 850.

-Both sleds are stock, neither have any engine, exhaust"upgrades" or clutching changes.
-Both sleds are out of Break In mode.
-The QRS shocks were NOT locked out on the Mountain Cat, I left them in the soft setting.
-NO!!!!!!! I did NOT alter the speed of the videos to affect a result!!! All video was shot and edited in real time.

As for my personal assessment; I honestly thought my Ski-Doo would have been closer, hopefully they'll makes some changes for next year.

https://youtu.be/2D0TZPyfUM0

Take a look at the roost from the Cat in the side by side video. Looks like it is spitting more snow out the back. That is only done with less traction or more power. By the way it gets up to the top of the hill quicker than the G4, I would say it is not from less traction.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the roost from the Cat in the side by side video. Looks like it is spitting more snow out the back. That is only done with less traction or more power. By the way it gets up to the top of the hill quicker than the G4, I would say it is not from less traction.

what? that is probably different due to the design of the tracks. follow a cat up the trail they throw a ton of SH*t. and how do you figure a 15w track would have more traction than a 16w track?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what? that is probably different due to the design of the tracks. follow a cat up the trail they throw a ton of SH*t. and how do you figure a 15w track would have more traction than a 16w track?

letterkenny-wayne-you-are-spare-parts-arent-you-bud.jpg

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Cat gets to the top of the hill about 3 seconds faster.
Not sure what caused this to happen but somehow the cat has superior performance.
A bigger hill would just be more embarrassing......not hard concept to grasp if IQ above double digit or unless you on doolaid.

Get that doo guy to do a video, what is his name???????

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is your EXTRA traction that your so hung up on and so many others. Ok ok, multiply by 2.
This just came off a 174x3x16", its now a 174x3x15".
Yup that makes a HUGE difference, the only difference i really see is suckers getting sold on sells BS. 4 sled manufactures, 3 with 15" tracks.
There is alot more to a track then width, lug design and pliability play far bigger roles then how wide it is.
Couldn't help my self had to post on this debate.....i guess maybe that Doo was sooo much slower because that 16 wide track is so much heavier...LOL
DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072_1.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry doo guys, I hear Textron is delaying the new sled until 2019 now and coming out with a new utility sled powered by a golf cart motor instead.

I jest, but ya never fracking know with this new outfit...

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is your EXTRA traction that your so hung up on and so many others. Ok ok, multiply by 2.
This just came off a 174x3x16", its now a 174x3x15".
Yup that makes a HUGE difference, the only difference i really see is suckers getting sold on sells BS. 4 sled manufactures, 3 with 15" tracks.
There is alot more to a track then width, lug design and pliability play far bigger roles then how wide it is.
Couldn't help my self had to post on this debate.....i guess maybe that Doo was sooo much slower because that 16 wide track is so much heavier...LOL
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/DSC_0071.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/DSC_0072_1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/DSC_0073.jpg

:sadbanana:.....this is the game changing part of the track....you fool :alol2:

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I think your doing a great job of trying to keep it even. Would also like to see a difference in the locked/unlocked shock. But I would love to see you throw a sidewinder in the mix. Climbmax get this guy a sled!

Oh don't worry......he has more time on a 2018 Sidewinder MTX than I do. He knows plenty well what they are capable of. ;)

Attachments

• LE.jpg
    LE.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 419

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The questions I have did you try the shock lock while riding if so was it easy to do and did it make a difference? Nice job on the video and I agree with your decision for not locking. I rode the 18 sno pro and was very impressed these new Cats are the real deal, the engine is a first year model and anything could happen but there are no indications of issues. Thanks and keep posting.

Top Bottom