Anodizing

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there somewhere in the city that does this? My son wants to do his rims on his dirt bike.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there somewhere in the city that does this? My son wants to do his rims on his dirt bike.

Yep, talk to Kevin at Anderson Anodizing in St Albert, I take lots of stuff to him for hard anodizing...they do a great job. He's a member here as well.

Captainkip

Reaction score
What are the differences with Powder coating or anodizing? Is it just the types of metal they work better on?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the differences with Powder coating or anodizing? Is it just the types of metal they work better on?

Not sure. We get a bunch of components for our sandblasters hard anodized because it helps to strengthen the aluminum. Also, I believe it actually impregnates the pores of the aluminum, versus gooping a coating over top. We have several threaded parts and peices, and the anodizing helps to keep them from binding on each other. It is very thin, so it doesn't build much of a profile on the parts that thread together.

Captainkip

Reaction score
I want to do an aircraft engine mount. Its 4130-N steel tubing. Which is my best bet? Least weight as possible with best durability would be nice.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to do an aircraft engine mount. Its 4130-N steel tubing. Which is my best bet? Least weight as possible with best durability would be nice.

Anodizing as it doesn't add weight and isn't heated to make it bond. With powder coating it needs to be heated to 400 degrees.
Has been some talk that with snowmobile rear rails it weakens them with the heating .
Have asked around and it can weaken aluminum.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had theis that rims on my bike anodized black by ACE Specialty Anodizing in Calgary and they turned out great. The only downside to anodizing is that high strength cleaning solvents can cause the anodizing to fade or strip completely. I use simple green car wash soap on my anodized parts and it doesn't seem to hurt them but I have seen other cleaners totally take the anodizing off a part before...be careful.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the rims on my bike anodized black by ACE Specialty Anodizing in Calgary and they turned out great. The only downside to anodizing is that high strength cleaning solvents can cause the anodizing to fade or strip completely. I use simple green car wash soap on my anodized parts and it doesn't seem to hurt them but I have seen other cleaners totally take the anodizing off a part before...be careful.

Captainkip

Reaction score
The high strength solvents can be an issue then if I anodize the engine mount. Just have to make sure the AME does not spray the entire engine on annual inspection.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't anodize steel. It only works on aluminum. I had a bunch of stuff anodized for my new sled and it doesn't work on steel or titanium. Anodizing actually oxidizes the aluminum but doesn't add any measurable thickness. powdercoat adds a layer (just like paint) but if your engine mount is steel you will have to go powdercoat. I guess you can get a sort of anodizing for steel but they call it "rust" lol

b29

Reaction score
I had 163" rails annodized black by Anderson and I think they were $120 for the pair. They came out great and snow doesn't seem to stick to them as much as with bare aluminum.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum wheels were $10 buck each from Anderson Anodizing. There were red, got them changed to black.

Top Bottom